PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rxman

Lurker
Jul 12, 2010
Wisconsin
Here is a good one. I have two Mark Twains. Both were purchased at the same store and very close to each other in the late 80's. The COM on both read MADE IN IRELAND but the silver dating indicatesb1984 and 1986. I wonder if the bowls were made pre-republiclic and ignored for awhile and assembled later with the silver dating? I emailed Peterson and they were confused to say the least, and kind of went with my explanation, but really didn't know either way. Can anyone shed light on this? Thanks.

thesandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Unclearthur does you pipe look similar to the 312 at bottom of catalogue page? Bearing in mind your description of the stem.
12331346_CQSAE

thesandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Sorry,I am having an off day today!!The image is not loading,please try this link.
http://sandpiper.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Useful-Things/12331346_CQSAE#1052869556_wDA2W-L-LB

thesandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
rxman - re the Mark Twain question.The earliest examples of MTs were produced in 1979/80.

The Pre-Republic era was prior to 1950.It is unlikely that these bowls were from that earlier period.

Unfortunately examples of Peterson making use of older stamping is quite common,however in this case because it was deemed to be a replica of old Samuels pipe, it may have been stamped accordingly.

skipper

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2010
I agree with Jim: I have stumbled myself on a couple Mark Twain Petes with the Ireland COM stamping. The first one puzzled me, but on discovering the second one then I also thought at a small jest from the Pete people to reinforce the replica issue.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Regarding the Laxiom series, I don't know anything about them and except they were made in England. The three contacts I have in Ireland, Angela Fortune, Tony Whelan, both of whom work for Peterson and Paddy Larrigan, a retired master carver with more that 50 years experience with Peterson's, don't recall them either. Yours is only the third one I've seen Skipper. The other two are/were on E-Bay. The vulcanite to vulcanite mount is somewhat unusual and was done only in England. I have a shape 17 Deluxe from the 1920's and an Aboriginal briar from the 1970's with that mount.
I never thought to check the COM stamps on my Mark Twains until it was mentioned here. Two are stamped Made In The Republic Of Ireland, one is stamped Made In Ireland and the one from the new set has no COM.
Arthur, your 1312 is a slightly smaller version of the 312 but not a small as the 317. As far as the already mentioned contacts remember, they were made in the 1950's.

rxman

Lurker
Jul 12, 2010
Wisconsin
Thanks to the both of you, the sandpiper and skipper, I finally figured it was just a jest by someone at Petersons to see if anyone would notice and do what we are doing right here. LOL Take care.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
Here is a link to Peterson's new 2010 catalogue.
http://www.peterson.ie/pipes/CatalogueCOMP.pdf
Enjoy the PAD.

thesandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Thanks for the catalogue download Chuck.I take it that is for the retailers and not for general public.

Good to see Peterson getting their act together and producing quality literature.

Well done.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Thanks To everyone who replied! Yes it is a late 40's early 50's pipe according to the circular made in Ireland stamping.

skipper

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2010
Thanks Chuck!

Here you have a series, the Military, in a 1957 catalog, showing the vulcanite-to vulcanite mount. This one is howewer a push bit one.
1957-Rogers2.jpg

Also the Belgique and Calabash were provided with vulcanite push mounts before the change to the conventional ones. Mine have the Repiblic of Ireland COM

I have also a little DeLuxe straight apple with vulcanite push mount.

thesandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
From my recollections the 'Goldblock' series of pipes,were the result of a business/publicity partnership by Peterson in the 70's and 80's for Ogdens Goldblock tobacco.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
Thank you Jim. The Goldblock question came up a couple of years ago and no-one had an answer.

skipper

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2010
I bought a 314 Goldblock one in Madrid in the '70s. It was a bit more expensive as the Standard ones, but it was really a 2nd grade Standard. :(

Didn't know the link betwen Peterson and Ogden...
BTW, Jim, what's really the Star series? At that time in Madrid you could find the System Star, but not the System Premier. I have ever wondered...

thesandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Hi Erardo,I think you have solved part of the usual Peterson mystery!.I have previously tried to find out more information on the origins of the'Star' series of systems.I have a couple of the ones from the late sixties/seventies.The ones I have, are what I would consider of 'premier' quality,with sterling silver ferrule and a matt red finish and colour.Having said that, I spotted a recent e-bay offering that was a walnut colour? So in answer to your question,I think they were 'Premiums' that were enhanced for selling as a separate series,probably to attract Hippies and flower children!!

I have still to find out the origin of the series and why it is called 'Star'.

Status
Not open for further replies.