PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
A before and after set of my new aquisition a Grade 3, 364 that was made between 1915 and 1921.

BEFORE:

DSCF0295.jpg

AFTER:

DSCF0303.jpg

skipper

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2010
Gorgeous!

Well done, excav8tor. Yoy have restyled the Standard 314 grandma!

thesandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Superb resurrection Mark.Compliments on a great job.
I always enjoy seeing the oldies brought back to life.Even although it is a 3 grade,it has to be admired,a quality and age of briar no longer available. I love the patina and colour.It is always a joy to see old briar like that it seems to sparkle.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Good job Mark. Bubbadreier is right. It looks like a new pipe.

skipper

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2010
A question (first of many) for the Pete Nuts:

Does anyone know when the Dublin-London series was first introduced and when was discontinued?

Thanks.

thesandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Erardo(Skipper),the Peterson history is difficult to refer to with any degree of accuracy.Records are poor.To the best of my knowledge through my own research, I would suggest that the London based Peterson operations were from around 1896 until around 1970.

Hope that helps,

Jim

skipper

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2010
Jim, thanks for your reply, but the Dublin&London pipes I am puzzled by were still available at the shops back in 1992 when I bought a 264. They had the MADE IN THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND (in three lines)COM and seem to be similar to the Kildares.

Last year I bought in eBay an unusued one (a 150) with original acryilic mouthpiece in dark amber colour ???

And I have also a 265 MADE IN IRELAND and a 14 shaped one without COM. All of them have the Peterson's in block letters and the forked P with the closed upper part. I was supposing it was a series name, not a factory identifier.

thesandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
The key word I would use in reference to Peterson stamping is 'idiosyncratic'.It is a mine field of inconsistency.There are many examples of pipes with confusing stamps.Peterson were very guilty of using old stamps,bowls and stems to use up older stock which had been on the shelves.

In regard to the Dublin and London stamping,such pipes starting with the Dublin before London were deemed to have originated in the Ireland factory.Those stamped with the London before Dublin were made in England.

I hope that helps.

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
The stamping will perhaps give us the clues needed when I receive the Shamrock Hungarian I recently won. The Seller assumed that it was Pre Republic, but I am yet to be convinced. Hopefully Jim will be able to tell me more once I can supply some rather more detailed pictures.

thesandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Either Chuck or I will do our best to assist dating your pipe once it arrives Rob,it would be a pleasure to do so.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
According to Angela, Peterson's closed the London shop in 1982. They may have stopped making pipes there earlier. Pipes with the Dublin and London stamps were made in Dublin until 1992.

Another thing, if the pipe is stamped London and Dublin, it was made in London. Dublin and London is a Dublin made pipe.

skipper

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2010
Thanks Jim and Chuck for your replies.

Both make sense, as I know about the inconsistencies in their stampings.

I already knew about the London&Dublin and Dublin&London issue. My doubts were related to the production timespan and the stamping being referred to a particular series, as the newer DublinSilver ones.

skipper

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2010
I have just discovered the 1997 catalog from Peterson. It shows the DUBLIN & LONDON pipes as a series in the Classic Range, describing them in page 59 as: "Superior quality briar in golden smooth polished finish available with a Peterson lip or fishtail mouthpiece".

skipper

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2010
And so much too for my believing at the Kildare as an evolution from the Dublin & London: they are both depicted in the same catalog. The ways of Pete are impenetrable...
Another question: Three days ago you pointed un to a Laxiom Pete. I bought one myself a couple years ago, a straight smooth Apple with an ebonyte mount and the Great Britain stamping in the mouthpiece.

Do you have some info about this series? I never heard about it previously, till your tip last week. Clearly it's a middle-lower end one, but I'll love to know about it.

This is my Laxiom

100_2890p.jpg

skipper

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2010
You can see also in this one the "bevelled" (it's really curved) mouthpiece's end joining the vulcanite mount.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have a question for one of our Peterson gurus . I have been smoking a pipe for over 40 years but just recently became serious about collecting Petersons. My favorite of those I have grabbed up for my collection is a 1312. I have never seen a four digit number on a system standard. What have I got here ? Slightly smaller than a System Standard 312 with a nice long graceful P lip stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.