PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skipper

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2010
In Spain there were both finishes, red and a light walnut as the "natural" finish of that era. I also believe to have seen (not sure of it, at that time this finish not appealed to me) a couple ebonies.

I have a wild theory about the name change, relating that to different markets.

In fact I'm sure the Star IS definitely the Premier: same quality, same finish on the natural ones, same shapes.

But I don´t know for sure when this name was first introduced, and when it ceased to be used.

thesandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Erardo, they have been resurrected and are being sold again.
http://store.pipesandcigars.com/pestsypi.html

skipper

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2010
I found then two days ago, and this was the reason for my reawakened interest...

Can we be sure they are modern ones?

thesandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Yes,Petersons started production earlier this year without very much publicity.I spotted some earlier in the year and bought them,the only difference I would comment on is the modern version has a much glossier finish than the older matt finish.

skipper

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2010
Pity! I loved the matt finish.
Jim, I have to point you to two series missing in your pipedia article.

They are the Sports (10 shapes numbered 1 to 10) from the sixties-seventies, little nosewarmers, and it's sucessor, the Outdoor series still found in some shops.

I loved the Sports pipes. The Sports 3 was my favorite and still it's in my regular rotation.

thesandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
The Pipedia article is a work in progress Erardo,I have several outstanding additions to that list including the two that you mention.I thank you for taking an interest,I rely on enthusiasts like yourself to keep me right!!

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
My latest aquisition. From a Charity Shop a couple of miles down the road from me. They wanted £2 for it, so I paid them £5 and legged it really quickly.
A 1980 Premier 314

DSCF0004.jpg

thesandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Mark,(excav8tor)you should be wearing a black mask and bandanna.That pretty 1980 Premier 314 was a steal!!

Well done and good health to enjoy it.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
It looks as though it cleaned up very nicely.

Well done Mark

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
excav8tor,..if I were that lucky I'd immediately put that Peterson in a safe place, run to the local park and start looking for wallets!
(All kidding aside, that's a beautiful pipe, congrats!)

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Bit of a puzzle here. the last pipe in the photo is a #0 System that was thrown in as a bonus on a recent ebay purchase. From the nickle cap it appears to be fairly old (more gentle curve to the cap) it is a 1312 made in England and it is absolutely beautiful. The question is does anyone have the faintest idea of age ?

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/unclearthur/album/picture/1245

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
No hall marks. The K&P Peterson stamping on the cap is also upside down compared to more recent pipes.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Here is a halfassed good shot of the stamping. It uses the split tailed P which doesn't show up well in the picture.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
About as close as I can come is 1938 to 1949 because of the unusual nickle mount. A grade 0 is the equal of a Deluxe and should have a silver mount. The single looped split-tailed P was used until sometime in the 1970's on some pipes.

By the way, you forgot to load the last picture.

Is the Made in England in a circle or straight line?

skipper

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2010
What are the markings under the K&P?

And the ones in the right side of the pic? I can't see them in the photo.
As far as I know, in the 1905 catalog didn't exist the "0" as grading symbol. The first grade pipes didn' show any symbol, the 2nd grade were marked with a 2 within a circle and thr 3rd grade ones with a 3 also within a circle.

But then they were all marked as Patent...
I don't know when the "0" and "1" markings were first used. Your ring is indeed older as the '70s ones but his shape is found as early as 1905.

Also, the 1312 shape number I have not encountered it after the ´50s

So... Jim, help us!
And on viewing your pics I have discovered a Dunmore 73 (or 74, not sure about the size in the picture. It's my favorite Peterson's series! Or is it maybe a Kapp Royal?

Status
Not open for further replies.