Peterson Pipes - How Satisfied Are You with Them?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Peterson, their up-side and the erstwhile problems, are pretty established by now, it's true. Other characteristics probably don't fly with some pipers. They make some ample bowls but seldom get beyond Group 4.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
It goes both ways. The supporters of Petersons also annoyingly over-compensate. And, to clarify, I didn't give a story about my bad experiences (even though I could), but you will find these stories everywhere.
I think that the weight and reputation of those on both sides of this issue is enough.
How many times a month do we have someone make an "I just got a new Peterson with this little bity problem... can't send it back... what should I do?" I echo Harris's comment... if your bankroll is so small that getting a dud pipe or losing a $100 bet is going to really hurt your feelings, play a different game.
And, if the history, or them being made by Irish, or you love the looks of those fat little things really appeals to you, then buy all you want. Just don't get one if getting a flop is going to ruin your day. Those of us on both sides of this don't want to hear your... "my new Pete has a hole in it" story. Those of us who aren't particularly crazy about them will tell you "I told you so," and the pro-Peterson camp will call you a liar.
So, if you buy a Pete and it sucks, suck it up buttercup. :puffy:

I agree with you on all points here. :wink:

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
but you really had to take a step back and ask....
Does any company stay in business for over 150 years, in an industry where the end user is usually quite savvy, by producing "quite a large portion" of defective product?
Perhaps they weren't always knocking out such a large percentage of defective crap and or the "end users" are not quite as savvy as you posit. I'm clearly not because I bought a few before realising that quality was a consistent problem as all of them had problems.
jp, although I'm more than willing to stand by my offer, it was also meant to put some real meat into this discussion and not just a piling on with a lot of "me too" or "from what I've heard"
But, then again, this IS the internet and its oh so easy to trash talk.
No one has to sell their pipes to you for a fraction of their worth to prove anything and the accusation of "trash talk" is as classless as your offer. We were asked for our opinion. Mine are crap and yours are not. So what. I'm not gonna lie to the guy.
I'm going to ignore these Peterson threads in the future. It's always the same.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
It goes both ways. The supporters of Petersons also annoyingly over-compensate. And, to clarify, I didn't give a story about my bad experiences (even though I could), but you will find these stories everywhere.
I think that the weight and reputation of those on both sides of this issue is enough.
How many times a month do we have someone make an "I just got a new Peterson with this little bity problem... can't send it back... what should I do?" I echo Harris's comment... if your bankroll is so small that getting a dud pipe or losing a $100 bet is going to really hurt your feelings, play a different game.
And, if the history, or them being made by Irish, or you love the looks of those fat little things really appeals to you, then buy all you want. Just don't get one if getting a flop is going to ruin your day. Those of us on both sides of this don't want to hear your... "my new Pete has a hole in it" story. Those of us who aren't particularly crazy about them will tell you "I told you so," and the pro-Peterson camp will call you a liar.
So, if you buy a Pete and it sucks, suck it up buttercup. [:puffy:]
When you're right, you're right. I can't argue with it.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Warren and bassbug, it's no secret, only personal experience. I have found 3 makers whose pipes I've had several of, that simply have never let me down in terms of quality. Again, several of each. Some I don't have anymore because my preferences of size or shape have changed, but never due to a quality issue. I have found my preferred Carver and only buy his pipes now. They don't cost much more than a mid-grade Peterson, about the same as a higher end one, and he has never delivered anything short of perfection to me. Why would I buy anything else?

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
as classless as your offer
Well, my goodness. I make an entrepreneurial offer without dissing anyone and I'm class-less.
Like I said, this is the internet and its oh so easy to trash talk, but by all means carry on, I have a way thicker skin than that :)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I tend to agree with Cosmic. But, I generally don't read posts complaining about pipes one has purchased. There is nothing I can do about it so, why should I care. Secondly so many of the "poorly drilled", stained bowl, stain coming off, etc. are complaints best reported to the seller or the manufacturer. It's not news that some pipes by various manufacturers will have a defect. Neither is it news that what some perceive as a poor drilling is, in fact, exactly what was intended by the manufacturer and/or dictated by the shape.
Smokers are dealing with tools carved from organic matter, dyes, bowl coatings, bit feel, and all the other variables

when humans are involved dictate some of the tools will have problems. With the exception of those members here representing vendors or manufacturers none of us can help rectify your problem. If you have a pipe you feel is defective take it up with the vendor or manufacturer first. Most of us don't care about your problem unless we can find something humorous in it. Then ... it's Katy bar the door ... pile on time.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Just so everyone knows, I really could not care less what pipes anyone likes or dislikes. Your money, your preference and I did not for a moment suggest that anyone has to sell me their pipes, but if anyone does have one or more that they are so unhappy with, I'll gladly give them back a fraction of the cost...better than nothing, isn't it?

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Hell warren, I just don't get why some people get so worked up over crap like this.
In my line of work, if I took everything personally I would have weekly ulcers and blood pressure that would strain a fire hose.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
You got it cosmic. Who doesn't like to get a bargain? Like you said, "got a crap pipe? suck it up, shit happens"

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I do agree with Cosmic that such threads accomplish little and are ultimately tedious. Typically, they are started by folks who have a few Petes with 1 or more being not up to snuff for them, at times due to mistakes by the smoker as noted in this thread, followed by folks responding who've bought far more Petes who then say that such experiences are in the minority.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
<p>I’ve had my heart set on a pteterson summertime. 106 straight pot. Something about it speaks to me. Now I’m wondering if I should find something else. Anyone think of a colorful not too hokey pipe in the $85 to $125 range. Allthough I bet some will argue a Blue and Yellow pipe is hokey in any way, shape or form.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Jttnk, buy the pipe.
These threads are fucking ridiculous.
I would love some real empirical evidence. All these anecdotal "facts" are bizarre.

Jan 8, 2013
I bought a pair of Fruit of The Loom brand briefs once. After eating some Tex-mex one evening, I blew a hole right through the ass end of them. I'm never buying another pair of Fruit of The Looms... Their pretty crappy underwear.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
My BC bulldog is drilled to high. It’s hit or miss, usually miss if it will pass a pipe cleaner.. still a great looking and descent smoking pipe. So what the hell. Thanks Ash, I needed that!

Status
Not open for further replies.