Peterson Pipes - How Satisfied Are You with Them?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
@Bassbug, if you pay 30$, as what smokingpipes would pay, then we have a deal.
@Irishearl, I don't even use spit for cleaning, just a dry tissue. It is enough to take off the dye from the rim of my Sherlock Watson :( The whistling bulldog doesn't have this issue.
I'm not an anti-Peterson guy, I wanted these pipes so badly (and much more Petersons) but unfortunately I need to give up on those plans as the quality of my current petes is not as what I expect from a pipe. Can you imagine how annoying is to puff on a constantly whistling pipe? Doesn't matter that I made some serious carvings in/on the stem, it is still the same cr@p. Wrong drilling, whistling, low-quality dying - these are acceptable from a basket pipe. Maybe a pear wood basket pipe, for 3€. But not from one of the biggest names in the "pipe industry" for 100€+. I think all of us can agree on that.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Whistling? You mean like a flute? With actual real tobacco packed in the bowl?
1. You gotta move a fair amount of air for anything to whistle. Is it possible;e you're puffing a little too hard?
2. The air has to go somewhere to create a whistle, and in this case its going into your mouth. Must be pretty loud to bother you.
3. I don't see how carving the stem would fix any sort of whistling effect
4. I'd consider $30 depending on what the pipe is.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
@Bassbug,

Whistlingstemfix.jpg

These edges can cause whistling, so I carved the edges. It helped a little bit, maybe the sound is not that sharp as it was before, but as it heats up, the sound becomes louder. When I puff gently, it whistles gently when I puff hard, it whistles louder. I have never had any similar problems with any other of my pipes and I'm a pipe smoker for 15 years now. I had very cheap basket pipes for the first 10 years of my pipe smoking but none of them had a problem like this. Maybe I'm the problem, I don't know but I think it is better to say goodbye to each other with this pipe as we are not compatible it seems.
I will try to post a picture about the pipe during the weekend.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I will try to post a picture about the pipe during the weekend.
Picture, hell. Post a video, or at the least an audio clip. I want to hear the whistle.
Does the tune vary by the blend of tobacco you're smoking? Do you get White Christmas with Christmas Cheer? Do the Frog Morton blends evoke Froggy went a-courtin'? Do you hear Disney's Haunted Mansion theme when you're smoking C&D's Haunted Bookshop? Back in the day you'd have been a shoe-in for Letterman. Do you have an agent?

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I guess I just don't get it.
My understanding is that in order to create a whistle air has to travel past a hole at an angle. Some of it goes over the hole while some of it goes into the hole, not all of it straight into the hole.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
@Bassbug, here is another thread about it, where I found the picture as well http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/stem-whistling

Maybe they described it better, so it is easier to understand. English is not my mother tongue, so it can be my fault.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the encouragement Ash and Anthony, the 606 (corrected from earlier mistyped model) is on its way.
peterson-606-summertime-600x300.jpg

Along with my first tins of Gas Light, Key Largo and... permission to come aboard...Black Frigate.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@Jttnk,Those are good pipes, congrats I have had one of them Ashfords 606 but unfortunately the initial weight of it did not agree with me so I went ahead and sold it after some use,it smoked great no complain on that,though few fills were visible on the bowl surface.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I had problems with Petersons, especially a high end pipe, it would put me off. Bad drilling, chronic whistling or gurgling, stain in the bowl, bubbly finish, etc. etc. Mine have been work horses, so I count myself lucky. I hope Pete can bring its pipes to this standard and keep them there, since they are satisfying when done right, the way they can be.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Well, mso, since I've never had a problematic Pete, I've had no reason to concern myself with their quality. I do think, as I noted earlier in this thread, that some of the anti-Pete hype is a tendency for folks fairly new to Peterson to quickly carp in public about some purported bad apple they got due to the existing anti-hype. We have a recent thread extolling the virtues of another lower cost maker in which some commented on bad drilling and stain wearing off quickly on some of them. If this would have been a Peterson pipe they were commenting on, the anti's would have jumped all over it.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
I decided to sell my Peterson bulldog (it is already on its way), but not my Sherlock Watson (yet). It is a collector's piece and I wanted it so much that I can't say goodbye to it. But as I don't smoke it at all, it is quite frustrating to even look at it. Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.