Peterson Pipes - How Satisfied Are You with Them?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
An outpouring on this subject, 122 posts in a week. Love 'em, hate 'em, people have feelings about Peterson pipes.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I think some folks like myself have posted about issues with Peterson’s because they are genuinely seeking advice from more experienced pipe smokers in an effort to become informed on what is or isn’t kosher regarding pipe construction, it’s not always a bitch fest. The fact that we have to question this in the first place probably says a lot, but regardless... I will say that my Pete’s that have gurgled or otherwise smoked weird initially have actually made me a better pipe smoker. When I first started, I smoked way too hard because my pipe (a Peterson System Standard 313, I might add) would take it without skipping a beat and I didn’t know any better.
My Peterson’s that won’t take a rip-roaring smoke without gurgling have taught me to be more restrained and thoughtful in my approach to smoking, and have been invaluable to my learning experience. Now my pipes rarely gurgle, and I’m grateful for the knowledge I’ve gained by working through the minor issues I’ve encountered with them. I think you can find duds with every factory made brand... so if it speaks to you and you enjoy owning it I say figure out how to make it work for you and smoke that shit up. I agree that they are love/hate pipes, and some of them aren’t perfect, but I smoke my Peterson’s proudly.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I just picked up two new Peterson's, a 120 Ebony Spigot and a 106 Kildare sandblasted. Smoking the Spigot now and its maiden bowl of University Flake is firing on all cylinders.
The only issue between these two is the spigot had a little of the bowl coating covering the draft hole. Otherise, both are totally fine.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I owe Pete a good word - in the past I was always chiming in with the bad word. I had to have one and tried 4 times. I smoked one that had a deep well and I hated/sold it, returned 3 more for crap workmanship. So I gave up. After Laudisi bought them I gave it a year or ever how long it's been and tried again.
Just received a beautiful XL315. It wasn't dipped, it looks great, and it's drilled decently (slightly off center, but no well). It smokes great! I love it.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have a lot of Petes. I have never had any issues with them, regardless of where they land on the cost spectrum. I guess I am just lucky.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Maiden voyage with Pete 606 Summertime. Love this pipe. I think it’s going to just get better! Let ve the fun colors. While not traditional, I dig it.
Cheers! Key largo for the first run. Good will probably be better in a month or 12.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm glad I've been lucky with Petes because their stocky designs really speak to me. Few brands are so readily recognizable.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
I'm glad I've been lucky with Petes because their stocky designs really speak to me. Few brands are so readily recognizable.
This is why I'm very sad about it, I like their designs so much, their bulldog, billiard, rhodesian, apple, barrel and so many others are the best looking pipes on the market. But what to do with a fabolous-looking pipe when it whistles and gurgles so badly that makes it unenjoyable at all.

Even though I have only bad experiences with them, I'm still checking their pipes every day and I still want to buy more from them. After that my brain intervenes and tells me not to do - very frustrating.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Getting back around to my last post... Peterson 606 is fantastic. Black Frigate!!!! Is awesome I totally get why ye loves it argghhhh. I’m onboard.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
I’ve got two - a B5 Bent Bulldog and a Billiard. They were my first two pipes. The Bulldog is trouble free. The Billiard’s stem has gotten loose. The pipes don’t smoke any worse than my others. Maybe I lack discernment. None of my pipes whistle or gurgle or hum. My favorite pipe is a Savinelli Bent Dublin. My most expensive is a Radice Rind Pot (G). I’d buy another Peterson.

Status
Not open for further replies.