Peterson Pipes - How Satisfied Are You with Them?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
These sort of Peterson threads always mystify me. First thread I ever started here was that I've never had a bad Pete and I've been buying them for 15-20 years. Me,too-only non-Peterson pipe I've bought in the past 10 years was a 320, Anthony.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
These threads are invariably popcorn material.
Only thing I can conclude is that Peterson pipes are a crapshoot. Given MY luck, I should stay away, I guess.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I own 4 Petes, all standard system pipes ranging from pre republic to 2015. They all smoke great. I would not hesitate to buy more if I was in the market.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
These sort of Peterson threads always mystify me. First thread I ever started here was that I've never had a bad Pete and I've been buying them for 15-20 years.
I don't know, maybe just my standards don't fit with Peterson pipes or my expectations were too high. I always wanted to buy a Peterson but I have never had a chance in the last 15 years as I never had the money - high school, university, underpaid jobs, buying car, house, etc. And now that I finally have money for my most precious hobby, I bought two of my most-wanted pipe brand and my favourite shapes. Result: bitter disappointment. Now maybe you can imagine the situation and why I felt that I need to write about it.

Reactions: AroEnglish

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
He posed the question and I answered it honestly from my own point of view. No offense intended. Smoke what you like... and I will, too. I'm not loaded. I cant afford to spend that kind of money on a crap shoot. When I do spend money on a pipe, I want to KNOW it is going to be superb.

Reactions: AroEnglish

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes, I actually "traded" mine to SP.com for in store credit on pipe tobacco. Not sure about out of country though. Just contact them, they will be very helpful.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
Yes, I actually "traded" mine to SP.com for in store credit on pipe tobacco. Not sure about out of country though. Just contact them, they will be very helpful.
Thank you for the info, I have already contacted them. Now let's hope for the best.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Sorry about your experience with the Pete’s Daniel. If you get a good trade in at smoking pipes, consider picking up an old Peterson. Age is negotiable but if you can find a nice pre republic pipe, get it.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Not pre republic but a nice looking pipe from the 70’s

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/ireland/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=307895

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I've got a couple dozen Pete System pipes in various trim levels over the last 20 years or so. I guess I've been lucky. Apart from one dipstained smooth Deluxe less than two years old (*gasp!) that I fixed by sanding the inside of the chamber (nice smoker now), I've been pleased with the fleet.
Except maybe Stanwell. I honestly don't recall ever hearing about a bad Stanwell. Anyone?

I'm no help here. I've yet to find fault in any Stanwell I've owned, Danish or Italian made. All very good smokers. :puffy:

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I have two - a Christmas 2014 and a Christmas 2015 (my wife was on a kick till I told her to stop).
Both needed extra time to break in.

The 2014 was dip stained and tasted horrible.
Both looked really nice, until I listened to someone on the forums and tried hot water rinsing the 2015. It took away some of the finish and exposed a couple large fills that really stand out now.
I wouldn't buy another.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
So which bent Pete is your favorite? I have yet to own a new pipe and I think this might be a good time to grab a Pete! Especially with the new owners.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I'm not loaded. I cant afford to spend that kind of money on a crap shoot. When I do spend money on a pipe, I want to KNOW it is going to be superb.

Likewise. I'm too poor to spend my money on junk.
Not to say ALL Petersons are junk, but apparently there's quite a large portion that are. Lacking the luck of the Irish (pun intended) it's just not wise for me to take the chance, chiefly when there are so many other superb choices out there.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
When I do spend money on a pipe, I want to KNOW it is going to be superb.
Good luck with that.
I'll let you search for posts that decry poor smoking "premium" pipes

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Of course, everyone has their right to opinions and I'm sure that some have had less than stellar experience with Peterson pipes, just as other have had with other brands but you really had to take a step back and ask....
Does any company stay in business for over 150 years, in an industry where the end user is usually quite savvy, by producing "quite a large portion" of defective product?

Status
Not open for further replies.