Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
This one was really up my alley. I'm a lover of classic bent shapes and like p-lip mouthpieces on them. I dislike p-lips on straight pipes, however. So, I sprung for the natural. I wanted a smooth for this one because I think it really shows off the gentle curvature of the stummel. The Terracotta is really pretty too, especially if one managed to get an especially nice copy with classic birds eye flanks and crossgrain front and back. My status with SP US gets me a 10% discount on Peterson pipes, which helped soften the sting of the price. I find that the orangish stain on the naturals is a bit bright to start, but warms nicely with smoking.002-029-103850.7613.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This one was really up my alley. I'm a lover of classic bent shapes and like p-lip mouthpieces on them. I dislike p-lips on straight pipes, however. So, I sprung for the natural. I wanted a smooth for this one because I think it really shows off the gentle curvature of the stummel. The Terracotta is really pretty too, especially if one managed to get an especially nice copy with classic birds eye flanks and crossgrain front and back. My status with SP US gets me a 10% discount on Peterson pipes, which helped soften the sting of the price. I find that the orangish stain on the naturals is a bit bright to start, but warms nicely with smoking.View attachment 239013
Love that stain, great choice!

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
Will SP continue putting up new pipes in this line or was it a one time release? As in, are the current available pipes all that will be available as far as specific finishes or do they do it incrementally ?

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Will SP continue putting up new pipes in this line or was it a one time release? As in, are the current available pipes all that will be available as far as specific finishes or do they do it incrementally ?
I don't think they’ll restock unless there are some returns that happen.

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
I don't think they’ll restock unless there are some returns that happen.
Ok, yea that’s what I figured, but was hoping with the limited amount of some of the finishes they’d trickle out a bit! I kinda missed the initial dropping of the gate.
The heritage is appealing, I do like that one, but some of the others seem really nice

BlueRidge

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2022
And there’s still some at SPC.
ah I didn't check. I like that finish as it just looks like it belongs on a Peterson. I wanted a Rua and I wake up for work at 1000 IST so checked the EU site and none showed up in the first wave. I pulled the trigger on a silver cap though. I guess I expected the US release to be a train wreck so didn't know if I'd be able to get one then but I'm very happy for the rustic silver

002-172-16446_1.7032.jpeg

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
These are actually gorgeous in their restraint and classic shaping. I just wish they had a non-p-lip version.
I wish Peterson would just make acrylic and non p-lip alternate stems for sale separately so that you can just swap out the stem. Even if it was a kit with instructions for army mount for example, if you need to soften the end to make it fit or something. And I don't mean for every pipe they make that they need to make a stem in all styles, just have some alternate stems in each stem style (not everyone's going to want something different).

Hell, I wish all pipe makers would offer replacements in various styles they use for anyone that wants a pipe but doesn't want acrylic, etc. Not sure how feasible that would be, like how consistent mortise and tenon fitment is for example.

Saw someone selling a terracotta that I almost wanted. Pipe looked good, if I had the money might have considered briefly before saying "nah" because p-lip and vulcanite.

Sucks because I actually otherwise really like the pipe (at least looking at it).

Last edited:
Reactions: seanv

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
I wish Peterson would just make acrylic and non p-lip alternate stems for sale separately so that you can just swap out the stem. Even if it was a kit with instructions for army mount for example, if you need to soften the end to make it fit or something.

Hell, I wish all pipe makers would offer replacements in various styles they use for anyone that wants a pipe but doesn't want acrylic, etc. Not sure how feasible that would be, like how consistent mortise and tenon fitment is for example.

Saw someone selling a terracotta that I almost wanted. Pipe looked good, if I had the money might have considered briefly before saying "nah" because p-lip and vulcanite.

Sucks because I actually otherwise really like the pipe (at least looking at it).
I think if you cut the end of a P lip off you can make the fishtail out of it...BUT I never tried yet but logic tells me its possible.I own one old Peterson Erica from 80s and the stem looks like modified p lip to fishtail...

Reactions: AroEnglish

Groot5225

Might Stick Around
Feb 3, 2023
ah I didn't check. I like that finish as it just looks like it belongs on a Peterson. I wanted a Rua and I wake up for work at 1000 IST so checked the EU site and none showed up in the first wave. I pulled the trigger on a silver cap though. I guess I expected the US release to be a train wreck so didn't know if I'd be able to get one then but I'm very happy for the rustic silver

View attachment 239156
Very jealous haha they only made 9 silver cap POTY. Enjoy your unicorn.

Reactions: AroEnglish

rsshreck32

Lifer
Aug 1, 2023
Western PA
I'm loving the shape but the plip is making it hard to pull the trigger.
I recently read somewhere that a p lip can lead to mouth burn if you smoke too fast. I think that happened to me last month before I read about the p lip. Is that what you're referring to? For a little while, I thought it was the tobacco I was smoking.