PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
I'll be honest, I have never tried a p-lip stem. I really hate how they look, but reading about how they function, I think I would have similar issues or that it wouldn't work well for me.

That said, I do like the shape of this release and I like the look of the smooth one. I think that's a good looking pipe, it's just not for me for the aforementioned reasons.
I was bewildered by my first plip Peterson, but then one morning I just "got it" while smoking and have loved it since. I'm not a clencher and it took me a minute to figure out to rest my lips on the ledge behind the opening. Now I love them. Especially on the Deerstalkers, which are my favorite pipes by Peterson.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Not an attempt to alter or hijack the original post, but this seems relevant here.

Are these newer vulcanite stems "different" in composition from older ones? I'm frustrated by what has happened to the estate vulcanite stems I have of old (disgusting appearance and personal lip sensitivity; how much maintenance?) and a knowledgeable answer would help me tremendously.

I would love to purchase one of these (P-lip fan) if I felt I would enjoy the stem; and I bought a couple of short army versions recently that I haven't smoked but should have asked this question earlier...

Reactions: Zero

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
I dig it. Not sure about the P lip either, but to be honest I haven’t tried one since I sorta learned how to smoke a pipe, so maybe the experience would be better now?

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I've never minded the p-lip but after buying some straight p-lip pipes recently I've become more of a fan. Doesn't help in this instance since I won't be buying a bent pipe since I rarely smoke those but personally I noticed much less of a difference between a p-lip and a fishtail when the pipe is straight.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Vulcanite is for vampires and smokers with no teeth and sensitive gums. Vulcanite is for shut ins who are scared of the sun and oxygen. Vulcanite is for the year 1920. Just say no kids.
Plastic is for yo-yo's and fast food utensils. Good quality vulcanite, accept no substitute. I'll give pass on Castello acrylics, they use the same plastic as Ferrari knobs. Who is smoking a Peterson with out the P-lip? Sacrilege.

The Euro group sold last night. I don't think any smooth pipes were listed.