PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Rule number 1 don't insult a man's jeep.
Sooooo, out there right now working on it, eh?
funny_goofy_smiley_face_with_big_teeth_orange_magnet-p147842192567916000envtl_400.jpg

Lemme guess, it's either got to be an electrical problem or suspension! :mrgreen:

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I wasn't here during the Starcat days, but I recall in the last year someone posted a link to a thread which sounds eerily like the infamous "Starcat thread" you all go on about. I read some of it and distinctly remember Sable's Godzilla vs Bambi post (the movie). Chili as "soup vs stew" rings a bell as well. It may be archived here somewhere. It wasn't as long or as hilarious as you all seem to remember. That said, being there, in the moment, as things unfolded would have been terribly exciting and MUCH funnier than a later dry read by a stranger. Since you are all old and have bad memories, the tale keeps getting longer and funnier in the telling. :mrgreen:
Kevin nixed the Diogenes club thread because he said we shouldn't make posts about nothing. I can only conclude that Seinfeld level genius had been achieved.

Wow. I think the longest, funniest thread I ever found here was just last year called The Diogenes Club or something like that. Not sure what the topic even was! One post I liked had a haunted house.

Thanks Toob! That was my Einstein/Bohr "spooky action at a distance" story around Halloween. Personally, I was pleased as punch about the faux newsflash of time-traveling Diogenes assaulting the first honest man he met in an open air cafeteria because the guy told him he looked fat.
I was thinking the other day we should start that Diogenes one again, but talk about pipes once in a while, so it doesn't get axed. I noticed when we had a thread to get crazy/weird/let off steam on, the other threads became more serious, civilized and focused.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
Yeah. I miss Neverbend.

I had an opportunity to work on a custom blend with him, and be a guinea pig for some blends he was working on a year (or 2?) ago.

Haven't heard anything from or about him since.

He is a great guy, and I do miss his insight.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Am I the only one who misses Roth?
Also some how I completely missed the starcat fiasco.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
Feels strange for me to say I miss someone that I actually never interacted with on a thread, but 12pups was a poster that really had a great writing style and I enjoyed his posts, no matter the topic.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
fitzy, oh yes, roth was something of a Forums all-star. He knew his pipes, tobacco, pipe history, and more. He was an extra smart edgy guy who managed to get in (if I remember) about 17K posts before his competitive nature finally crossed wires with management here. When he wasn't being combative, he was so knowledgable and interesting, and had various points of view that were contrarian but worthwhile. I didn't always agree with him, but I often learned something from him. And quite often I did agree with him. He and I shared a no-ream (just wipe out the pipe after smokes) philosophy, among others. His good posts crop up regularly when people exhume some of the oldies, and his name sneaks into those old-time discussion.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Someone say Jeep?
I had two of 'em. Both bought new. Complete, total, absolute, irredeemable, worthless garbage. Suitable only as an anchor for an appropriately-sized ship, and maybe not that. One threw a rod within six weeks, and the other spontaneously caught fire and burned to the ground in my driveway.
Of course, that was when American Motors was making them in Toledo in the early 1970's, so it's possible things have changed. :lol:

Reactions: monty55

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Thanks Toob! That was my Einstein/Bohr "spooky action at a distance" story around Halloween.
Right! I remember that. I thought it was brilliantly funny. So much so I saved the picture. Man did I howl. There was an old guy spilling coffee on his tie by the fireplace mumbling about quantum physics in the night. Made my day. You had to read it to appreciate it.
Everyone has to be somewhere! Am I still not here?
Obviously someone has seen ahead in the timeline warren to an alternate future causality loop where you really are your unborn brother in Montana and don't like pipes.
I had two of 'em. Both bought new. Complete, total, absolute, irredeemable,
Jeeps have their fans, and they have their advantages. But I know cars pretty well and every friend I have who loves Jeeps also has had a lot of issues. Goes with the territory. One buddy of mine traded in his falling apart (literally) Jeep with 250,000 miles on it for a brand new one, then bought a used one, excellent shape, good price, out of state for his everyday beater for hauling, etc. The new one was his baby to be pampered.
He spent the next six months working on fixing all kinds of issues on the used one, from tearing the front apart to replace the vacuum canister to tearing the suspension apart to put spring tower rebuild kits in to replace the ones all rotted out. Seems the rubber donuts the springs ride on trap water in around the upper control frame rotting the tops. Just a fact of life that Jeep fans have to accept.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Am I the only one who misses Roth?

Maybe, I always thought he was a blowhard myself.
JEEPS, Got my first one last year and so far I LOVE it. Got sick of my GM products and the dexkill motors. But then again I love Peterson's too!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I miss phil67, that crusty old curmudgeon from Chicago.......... Always enjoyed his posts, Warren is a pretty good substitute though........... :lol:
I miss Layinpipe..... He had a lot of enthusiasm, always enjoyed his view on things..........
I miss Smokeybear too, did some trades with him. A stand-up guy.
But most of all, I miss MLC (Troy)'s posts........... Probably the most enthusiastic, knowledgeable, entertaining dude on here ever! I (we?) learned so much from him, his posts were epic. A true treasure to these pages. Troy was PASSIONATE about his tobacciana history, he placed historical correctness over corporate greed, and his passion was his undoing................ I admire a guy like that!....... :puffy:

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
My father had a 94' jeep laredo with a straight six. It is still running great to this day. We got a 2001 cherokee special edition with the v8. It threw a rod the day after we paid it off. We had just bought new tires for the damn thing. I still like that piece of shit! :crazy:
+1 MLC. He was a scholar and a gentleman, until he wasn't.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I miss MLC too. He was able to present such awesome academic posts into the world of piping. I wish him well.
I, too, liked Roth (There is another letter in there we all always forget about). He was always witty and funny. He helped me make the transition here smoothly.
Numbersix is another I wish we still heard from.
The atmosphere here has definitively changed over the last year or so on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.