PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Because until the virus has been around long enough to mutate into a virus more akin to the common cold... it’s highly unpredictable and dangerous much more so than a cold or flu. They are not even comparable and to do so is flawed logic and to deny science and medicine.

I didn't mention the cold or flu.. but I was referring to those and many others. We've Had 6.2 million cases, seems like we know what to expect by now. I dont know anything about medical science.. but I also don't just default to fear when I don't understand something.

What makes you feel safe in the dangerous situations of everyday life? while driving, or flying? We should rely on whatever that thing is, now.. just like we always have.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
If we use the "just in case" logic, then we should wear a mask forever.. and why didn't you guys have one on last year?

There is a big list of bugs and viruses that can kill a person with health issues.. and they do and always have. Did we just discover this amazing technology? I'll leave it there.. I'm sorry I disagree, but we gotta be strong and have faith. There are 1000 ways to die, what difference does it make if there's 1001?
Virus lethality aside, because we shut America down and rocked our economy dramatically?

We did all that, Doing the easier part just in case means why waste doing all that on even the tiniest chance it was necessary.

We all have differing opinions on how necessary the shutdown was, not the point.

Just to set that aside, why wouldn't we do the relatively easy part even if the chance that the hard part was necessary is vanishingly small?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Virus lethality aside, because we shut America down and rocked our economy dramatically?

We did all that, Doing the easier part just in case means why waste doing all that on even the tiniest chance it was necessary.

We all have differing opinions on how necessary the shutdown was, not the point.

Just to set that aside, why wouldn't we do the relatively easy part even if the chance that the hard part was necessary is vanishingly small?
Because it’s easier to be an ostrich.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
What makes you feel safe in the dangerous situations of everyday life? while driving, or flying? We should rely on whatever that thing is, now.. just like we always have.
What makes me feel safer are the safety measures in place. Why don’t you bring in your car and have the seatbelts and airbags removed? You most likely won’t need them. It’s the same avenue of logic you are using.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Three logicians walk into a bar.
Bartender says, "Do you all want a beer".
First says, "I don't know.".
Second says, "I don't know.".
Third says, "Yes.".

I was low on funds on my ladyfriend's birthday this year, so I made up a certificate that said it entitled her to two hours of sex any way she wanted it.

She looked at it, exclaimed, "Thanks so much, honey.", kissed me, and ran out the door. Didn't see her for two hours.

I don't get no respect, no respect at all.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Science, including medical science, solves problems, effects therapies or prevention, because it is difficult and often defies cultural habits and "common sense." It can feel intrusive, like it is smarty pants overeducated people pushing their opinions. People tend to avoid science courses in school because they are difficult, and at some point require math courses, which are, for most, more difficult. Science in history figured out fleas were the carrier of bubonic plague; that smallpox vaccinations ended the disease, that polio vaccine worked. All of these benefits were seen as dark plots and insults until most people saw their benefits. So it goes.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
@Country Bladesmith :
AnimatedIgnorantAmphibian-small.gif

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
There are 1000 ways to die, what difference does it make if there's 1001?

I don't know about you but I don't want to die on a ventilator because I was reckless during a crisis period. Wearing gloves and a mask is a pain in the neck. I have to do it every day I go to work. It sucks but it's temporary. If there was a better option that would assure I get through this hell year, I'd take it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Then there are those that swallow anything they are told without question.

IBTL
which seems to be everyone at some point or another. We all have these things we believe or don't without really much logic or rational thought, because of the source or because they just sound right. People are not the thoughtful rational creatures we like to imagine ourselves to be. Nope we're reactionary instinctive (in the most and least complimentary ways possible), we make wild and broad assumptions and think we know way more then is even possible.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'll say this and leave it at that. Not going to argue or elaborate because it's just how I feel. When the risk is primarily personal go for it do whatever you please. Try hard drugs, ride a motorcycle, play on roofs, or whatever thing that could really kill or mess you up bad, heck even smoke cigarettes. When the risk is shared and primarily carried by other people that's when you stop just having the right to do whatever you want or to rely on your own opinion on what's best. The mask doesn't really do much to protect you but it does help very vulnerable people get sick without stretching the medical system so thin it's practically useless. That's my opinion and dictates how I'am going to act and how I think you should act. And don't want to mask up you can always stay home.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I have to do it every day I go to work. It sucks but it's temporary.
That’s the rub. We don’t really know whether the situation is temporary or not. Getting rid of it now might be like trying to take piss back out of a swimming pool. It’s lasted from winter through most of the summer so far, so it doesn’t look seasonal. There’s a good chance the virus is here to stay. If it does, I wonder how long the masks/gloves/etc stay, before people just become accustomed to the risk and go on as before. ?‍♂️ Just to be clear, I’m not very passionate about wearing/not wearing PPE in public. I have to at work. And in Louisiana you’re now required to wear one in stores, etc. I’m not scared of getting it, honestly, I think I already had it in March, but I know some people are scared of it (some with good reason), and I don’t want to be a dick to those that are more vulnerable (or just more worried), so I wear my mask.
As far as the shutdown and whether it was necessary, I don’t know. It hurt an economy that was going gangbusters finally, shuttered many small businesses, and put a lot of people out of work. Was it necessary? If it saved a lot of lives, then I’d say so, but I know for a fact it cost lives, too. My sister-in-law was struggling with depression and alcohol, but had been doing great and had been sober for about a decade. The shutdown and social isolation was more than she was able to cope with. Now she’s gone, and my wife and I are raising her daughter. Don’t think for a second that the shutdown hasn’t cost lives as well. I won’t say whether it was the right call to shut things down or not, because I don’t know. And I don’t like pushing my opinions on people anyway, but there’s always two sides to coin is all I’m saying. I don’t usually feel sorry for elected officials, but that’s a shit call to have to make, one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.