Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Same for us.. We did used to get out for restaurants, though. This kind of shit is going to make hermits out of everyone.
sdphoto_grande.jpg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Actual massage therapy too. No more getting my arthritic joints aligned from time to time. A friend took some household scissors and trimmed my hair, and it is a great relief not to look like Ben Gunn (the Robinson Crusoe character addled by years of living alone on the island). All I need is to keep my hair off my shoulders, nothing styled. Maybe I should get some drugstore barber shears. Some day I may go back to Great Clips, and they'll make me look like someone out of "Mad Men." I won't know myself in the mirror.
SWING ON OVER MY WIFE WILL GIVE YOU A FREE HAIRCUT

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
  • Haha
Reactions: anotherbob

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
There are a number of things that have gone that in retrospect, were disgusting. One of which is the annual 'Roll Up the Rim' promotion at Tim Hortons. It was perfectly normal to roll up the rim of your coffee cup with your teeth, and if you won a coffee, tear it off and give it to the Tim's employee, who in turn put it in their till with the money.

• Wow
Reactions: BROBS

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My wife bought the electric clippers. It's really good if you don't mind a plain old short haircut. I'll stick with these even after the pandemic troubles. ?
Clippers are all you need for any cut. I've been the family barber for a while now and only use Wahl Magic Clips for layering, fading, thinning, buzzcuts, etc.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
weirdalfoil_2322.jpg

Sure, laugh it off. It's not unexpected, your response.

It's mighty inaccurate, though. That's coming from the horse's own mouth, so you can't call it a conspiracy whatever so that you don't have to think about what's being said and continue to enjoy Netflix as you puff on your favourite blend.

That's the same guy, head of the WEF going on record for CNBC, a network you could hardly accuse of being into 'conspiracies':

Regardless, I didn't post that to wake up the sleepers (who love their sleep), or to suggest we band up and defeat them, or that you vote one way or another... The point I tried to, well, point at is that whether we like it or not, agree with it or not, find out the real causes or actors or not, the world has been irreversible changed by this 'crisis'. We're being continuously told that we'll get through and over it, that this too will pass, that it's a passing phase, that we'll go 'back to "normal" '... but that's just the carrot being used to pull the donkey down the road.

In a nutshell, societies have been irreversibly changed by now. Anyone who thinks we'll go back to the way things were a year ago—no lockdowns, no health scares, back to ordering tons of tins of tobacco and dozens of pipes online, &c., &c.—is fooling himself. The new ways of doing business, the fears of touching surfaces, the no more handshakes, the endless fear of passers-by, the new bylaws, et al. will not go away.

The very topic of this thread confirms it. And the head of the WEF himself re-confirms it when he says that industries such as health and IT will come out of this the stronger, whilst others will fall by the wayside. That's the 'expert' himself talking.

The point of my info bit was to make the fact that the world will not be the same sink in, so that smart people plan accordingly.

Some have already: all the big cellars we see pics of here all the time. It, however, goes beyond cellaring tobacco.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Sure, laugh it off. It's not unexpected, your response.

It's mighty inaccurate, though. That's coming from the horse's own mouth, so you can't call it a conspiracy whatever so that you don't have to think about what's being said and continue to enjoy Netflix as you puff on your favourite blend.

That's the same guy, head of the WEF going on record for CNBC, a network you could hardly accuse of being into 'conspiracies':

Regardless, I didn't post that to wake up the sleepers (who love their sleep), or to suggest we band up and defeat them, or that you vote one way or another... The point I tried to, well, point at is that whether we like it or not, agree with it or not, find out the real causes or actors or not, the world has been irreversible changed by this 'crisis'. We're being continuously told that we'll get through and over it, that this too will pass, that it's a passing phase, that we'll go 'back to "normal" '... but that's just the carrot being used to pull the donkey down the road.

In a nutshell, societies have been irreversibly changed by now. Anyone who thinks we'll go back to the way things were a year ago—no lockdowns, no health scares, back to ordering tons of tins of tobacco and dozens of pipes online, &c., &c.—is fooling himself. The new ways of doing business, the fears of touching surfaces, the no more handshakes, the endless fear of passers-by, the new bylaws, et al. will not go away.

The very topic of this thread confirms it. And the head of the WEF himself re-confirms it when he says that industries such as health and IT will come out of this the stronger, whilst others will fall by the wayside. That's the 'expert' himself talking.

The point of my info bit was to make the fact that the world will not be the same sink in, so that smart people plan accordingly.

Some have already: all the big cellars we see pics of here all the time. It, however, goes beyond cellaring tobacco.
Yes the world has and is changing but it’s not some engineered conspiracy. It’s a lot more simple than that. It’s a network of dipwads and fuckups the world over not being able to band together or even have any type of common sense throughout this whole thing. I wish I could blame it on people being as smart as the conspiracy side suggests, but I highly doubt it. Why? Because people are stupid, and those in power are people. Which, in turn, makes them stupid.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yes the world has and is changing but it’s not some engineered conspiracy.
Still missing the point. I'm not concerned here with why or how, but with 'what now'?

The real myth is 'we'll go back to normal'.

Based on that assurance, what now? What am **I** (or we, in the case of families) gonna do in the face of the so-called 'new normal'? Will I still go for that liberal arts degree? Do I have a future majoring in this area or not? Should I replace the car which still runs fine now? Should I invest my spare and hard-earned money here or there? Should I buy more of this and less of that? Should I cancel my digital entertainment subscriptions and spend the money on stuff that's likely to be unavailable later (like tobacco, but not limited to)?

In the face of the implementation of a cashless system? Should I finish cellaring now since tobacco sales are gonna be tracked and/or banned? Buy gold or metals?

In the face of the much vaunted 'second wave', should I be going to the dentist now or wait till the next lockdown makes it impossible to get check-ups or treatment? Should I take care of those medical appointments now or defer them?

Should I get off my lazy ass and take control of the little I can control? Or should I wait for the gov't to come rescue me?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Image shews not. :confused:

Barber here, I think it's working by appointment only, but I'm worried that if there's another lockdown he'll be forced to close.

Would be useful to know what stuff I need to do my own hair. All I have right now are mirrors!
A good trimmer, a set of guards #.5-"8, a handheld mirror, a comb, and a water misting bottle are my basics.

Reactions: Casual and olkofri

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
Still missing the point. I'm not concerned here with why or how, but with 'what now'?

The real myth is 'we'll go back to normal'.

Based on that assurance, what now? What am **I** (or we, in the case of families) gonna do in the face of the so-called 'new normal'? Will I still go for that liberal arts degree? Do I have a future majoring in this area or not? Should I replace the car which still runs fine now? Should I invest my spare and hard-earned money here or there? Should I buy more of this and less of that? Should I cancel my digital entertainment subscriptions and spend the money on stuff that's likely to be unavailable later (like tobacco, but not limited to)?

In the face of the implementation of a cashless system? Should I finish cellaring now since tobacco sales are gonna be tracked and/or banned? Buy gold or metals?

In the face of the much vaunted 'second wave', should I be going to the dentist now or wait till the next lockdown makes it impossible to get check-ups or treatment? Should I take care of those medical appointments now or defer them?

Should I get off my lazy ass and take control of the little I can control? Or should I wait for the gov't to come rescue me?
Historychannel.com has an article: 10 pandemics that changed history. The stories behind them are very interesting. I imagine during previous pandemics people wondered if their life could ever get back to the way it was before.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Yes the world has and is changing but it’s not some engineered conspiracy. It’s a lot more simple than that. It’s a network of dipwads and fuckups the world over not being able to band together or even have any type of common sense throughout this whole thing. I wish I could blame it on people being as smart as the conspiracy side suggests, but I highly doubt it. Why? Because people are stupid, and those in power are people. Which, in turn, makes them stupid.

I totally agree with this one!

I also want to add that the stupid people are taking advantage of the situation, for money and power.

• Love
Reactions: BROBS
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Historychannel.com has an article: 10 pandemics that changed history. The stories behind them are very interesting. I imagine during previous pandemics people wondered if their life could ever get back to the way it was before.

Theres too much momentum with this one though.. I do believe it's very different. Thats just MHO.

Reactions: LOREN and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.