PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

twister

Lurker
Jun 26, 2010
Hello,

I recently purchased an estate pipe in very good condition. It is marked Stern #588, an umbrella over the letters SSK, "switzerland" around the neck and on the stem the letter "S" inside a circle, it is a churchwarden style. Could anyone give me some history and maybe a value of this pipe? Here is a link to see the pipe http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270587709226&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWNX:IT I thank you for your time and response.

Dan

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
This is an unsmoked Estate Andreas Bauer Bulldog Facet, likely carved by

Sedat Koncak in the early '90's. Currently, new Andreas Bauer Pipes are

being made under the authority of Otto + Kopp, and appear to be commissioned

thru IMP. Sometimes, I get lucky, as the last minute bidding was heavy...
bwsytdqbgkkgrhqjgsev1sfqtynbmkm5hjhcw_121.jpg

[Fixed Photo - Bob]

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Fred, that bowl looks like a jewel hanging on the end of the stem! Regal!

(I had a hard time linking to the pic, so I presume this is the one...

bwsytdqbgkkgrh

[Edit: Pstlpkr; sorry couldn't get the pic to work.]

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Thanks guys, and thank you Bob for fixing the pic. I should have the Pipe

in hand in a day or two. My plan is to put it to good use, not just sitting

around like it has been for the last 18 years. This Estate Pipe took bidding

in the current price ranges for Andreas Bauer Pipes from Otto+Kopp, and to

me was worth the coin. These Pipes draw me into competition with some old

friends, and we have a good laugh afterwords. As a consequence, I've Pipes

in my collection that are calling to another friend in San Antonio, who has

Pipes in his collection that called to me. It winds up being twice the fun.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
A friend advises me that he believes that it is actually Andreas Bauer & Sohn, Wien which is German for: Andreas Bauer & Son, Vienna. I ran it thru Babelfish and

the results are: Andreas's Farmer & Son, Vienna. This sheds a bit of light on the

situation. Now, I'm wondering if this Pipe's origins might have been pre-embargo

and made in Vienna. I'll know more when it arrives.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Here is the pipe my wife bought for our Anniversary.
vcn27.jpg

It's a Bjarne Viking Matte Dublin. I really like the shape and the fact that the walls are so thick. My only concern is that it seems faulty, possibly. When I try the pipe cleaner test, it doesn't go into the bowl. Is this normal for the Viking line? It almost seems that it is a system-style where there is a little reservoir to trap moisture. In which case, all is well. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
-Jason

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Is this normal for the Viking line?
My experience with Bjarne Vikings has typically been fraught with problems.
He's a thread about my experience:
Bad luck with Bjarnes thread...
Perhaps both of our pipes are from the same bad production run, as I've heard nothing but good things from others. Dunedain and Pstlpkr (Pstlpkr's isn't a Viking, but a rather nice one) seem to love thiers.
Even if the pipe never becomes a good smoker, you can be happy with the fact that your wife put so much nice thought into your gift.
P.S., I never asked for a refund on the defective pipe in that thread. I couldn't bring myself to ask Pipes & Cigars to eat the cost of something that wasn't really their fault. Especially so long after the fact.

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I have a couple of pipes that are like that, one being my first pipe I ever purchased a Peterson Shannon(had some others but that was the first new one). The only problem I run into is that you cant get a pipe cleaner through it to unclog it if needed or if it starts to get wet. Other than that if it smokes well I don't see any major issues. I don't have a Viking but I have 2 that I got off of eBay that seem to be very good smokers.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
dudleydipstick,

I had read that thread before I posted. I'm going to smoke it later today. Even if it wasn't supposed to have the system-type chamber, I'm sure I can get enjoyment out of it. I almost never have to use a pipe cleaner while smoking any of my pipes with the exception of my churchwardens. They tend to smoke a little wet, but I don't mind having to run a pipe cleaner maybe twice per bowl. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks!
-Jason

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Dunedain and Pstlpkr (Pstlpkr's isn't a Viking, but a rather nice one) seem to love thiers.
Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam - Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam.....
My pipe isn't a Viking, but the family did come to Britain during the Nordic Conquest.

I love my Bjarne none-the-less. And, it does pass the pipe-cleaner test.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I am actually about to buy a Bjarne Viking tomorrow (if the wife will let me)... I will let you know if it passes when it ships to me and if the wife lets me get it. Stupid of me to let her handle the finances :(

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Don't feel bad Bubba my wifey has me on lockdown also.
I might wear the pants in the Family but she tells me which pair to put on :)

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Nice pipe Lordnoble!
Try bending the end of the pipe cleaner a bit and "noodling" with it to see if it will go all the way down. I have some pipes that I have to do this with. I also have some pipes that the cleaner will not go all the way through no matter what I do. But it doesn't affect them that much.
Some of them have that little place that moisture collects like you described. I find that since that is the place where the moisture is that the cleaner absorbs it anyway since that is as far as the cleaner can go.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Try bending the end of the pipe cleaner a bit and "noodling" with it to see if it will go all the way down.
Sound advice. You should start bending the end of the cleaner little by little. (As the end starts to get tar on it, I usually start bending it inside of the end of the bit in order to keep my fingers clean.) You might be surprised at how extreme of an angle the cleaner needs to be before it finally works.
Enjoy your new pipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.