PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
I accidentally bought this pipe last night. I was just killing time on Ebay and ran across it gettign ready to end.
Handmade registration # Stanwell which means it's at least 30-40 years old.
It caught my eye because Pulver's Briar had one like it that sold for $45. I recall thinking that's a a lot of good old wood and quality for less than $50. Not eye candy but it is a nice old Stanwell Smoker.
So anyway, I saw this one with only 1 bid and figured I'd throw half of what the other one sold for at it. Marty Pulver seems to be at the low end with most his pricing. So half of the 45 bucks or $22.50 + shipping seemed unlikely to win it. But I really didn't want to pay anymore. Not really trying to buy a pipe.
I'll be damned I won it for 17.51 and $5 shipping.
Looks to be in good shape and I bet I can clean it up nicely. Should be an awesome smoker.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
I have been known to cast a sorry eye on colored pipes, especially Peterson's Racing Green series. All of them I'd ever seen were ugly.

Well, never say never. Something about this Royal Irish XL90 caught my fancy so I thru a low bid at it never expecting to win. Win it I did. $58 including shipping.
GreenRoyalIrishXL90.jpg

Peterson's says only 5% of their brair is good enough for the Royal Irish series. I've not seen a Royal Irish without the stem silverwork so this may be something unusual.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
This Andreas Bauer is a Meerschaum that I acquired recently. It's a fine example of what a quality Pipe should look like after years of use and good care. The Italian shop logo dates this Amber bit, bone screw beauty to pre 1960. It is a pre Koncak Andreas Bauer, likely of European origin, but not one from the original trademark designation, which are Pipes that have not been in the open market for over 100 years. After a couple of hours of cleaning, I discovered that the previous owner was a fine Virginia smoker. These time travelers share the lessons learned from Fire and Tobacco, and this one has already demonstrated what a great smoker it is, a fact that leaves little doubt to why it has burned more than a few pounds of tobacco in it's day.
bvgfc1wb2kkgrhqviuev10e6h9bmde0yf7q_31-600x450.jpg

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Paul Fischer Meerschaum Pipes are among my favorites in the estate marketplace, and one of the most 'rare,' though I this term is widely over used. Paul Fischer migrated from Germany and operated a family business some time in the 1950's in Orchard Park NY. His shop was called The House Of Fischer, which closed in the late 1970's. Sometimes I get lucky... This Paul Fischer OomPaul is in excellent condition and

the Seller knew what he was talking about. It has become the 4th Paul Fischer in my modest collection. The only other time I've seen this shape was years ago at a Pipelanes shop in Seattle. It was well colored and belonged to the shop owner. So little information survives about this Artisan Meerschaum Pipe maker. The House of Fischer was a family owned business of 4 decades. Paul is often credited with being the premier artisan of the new age of Meerschaum shapes that combined his flair and traditional form. The 2 most commonly encountered frauds in the estate Meerschaum

industry are Andreas Bauer and Paul Fischer. Much more information can be found in

Ben Rapaport's books on the Fischer dynasty, save for much of anything on Paul.
bwkg9hgbgkkgrhqvg8ev10cq9bmhrzksg_31-600x450.jpg

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I recently added a couple of pipes to my Dunhill 6 Shell Collection I picked this off ebay. It took 5 hours of work to clean up.
6105g1.jpg

6105g2.jpg

6105g3.jpg

6105g4.jpg

I got this in trade at the Milwaukee show this weekend.
62044.jpg

62042.jpg

62043.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.