PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
Sillem's Councilor 1695 Flake. I like K&K flakes because they're cut thin but keep their shape when folded. This batch was almost bone dry but managed to stay intact when folded.View attachment 335129View attachment 335130
I wonder if the newer tins are dry because this is now tinned in the US from German made bulk flakes. If anyone knows the details please let us know.

hoipolloiglasgow

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Opened up some 2017 Skiff. This is wonderful stuff. In comparison to the new stuff(also really good stuff), the cut isn’t the shag cut, it’s mottled ribbons. The Virginia’s are of course sweeter and better. It smells as if it is soaked in brandy and some other Lakeland stuff as part of a casing which is also different than the new stuff, which has a rose water Lakeland hint to it. Other that they are really close, this one just being more complex and sweeter due to the age. Oh, and as usual it is super wet and needs a couple days dry time. This cut is better in my opinion as little flecks of Latakia don’t make their way to the bottom of your jar.IMG_0840.jpeg
IMG_0839.jpeg

Last edited:

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
Some three-year-old Captain Earle's Honor Blend. This is my first time opening a tin in a couple of years. I've been smoking nothing but bulk tobacco that whole time. I forgot how great that smell is when you first pop a tin. it smells like heavily fermented fruit. I'm letting some of it air out/dry for a bit and I will smoke it soon. Quite excited for my next bowl.

IMG_2049.jpegIMG_2050.jpeg

Auxsender

Lifer
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Some three-year-old Captain Earle's Honor Blend. This is my first time opening a tin in a couple of years. I've been smoking nothing but bulk tobacco that whole time. I forgot how great that smell is when you first pop a tin. it smells like heavily fermented fruit. I'm letting some of it air out/dry for a bit and I will smoke it soon. Quite excited for my next bowl.

View attachment 336303View attachment 336304
Are those analog synthesis modules in the background?

hoipolloiglasgow

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Opened up some 2017 Skiff. This is wonderful stuff. In comparison to the new stuff(also really good stuff), the cut isn’t the shag cut, it’s mottled ribbons. The Virginia’s are of course sweeter and better. It smells as if it is soaked in brandy and some other Lakeland stuff as part of a casing which is also different than the new stuff, which has a rose water Lakeland hint to it. Other that they are really close, this one just being more complex and sweeter due to the age. Oh, and as usual it is super wet and needs a couple days dry time. This cut is better in my opinion as little flecks of Latakia don’t make their way to the bottom of your jar.View attachment 336271
View attachment 336273
After smoking a few more bowls of this blend, I have to change my opinion slightly. Many SG blends have changed in the last couple years. Whether it’s less casing/top notes or different Virginias. I have to say this older Skiff is a bit fuller of a blend. There are less Orientals, more Latakia(like Squadron Leader, it had more Lat a while ago and wasn’t so mild like it is). There is a stronger casing on the older one. The Virginias are absolutely killer in this blend. The new stuff is an Oriental bomb dusted with Latakia and light Virginias. The older is a traditional medium English. I know they change the blends to compensate for different leaves, but it appears the change was more for corporate reasons and their perceived demographics. I guarantee anyone would choose the older even without the age on it. Don’t get me wrong, the new stuff is still stellar, but a bit of a lighter blend with little to no English sauce. Another thing is they put a ton of PG on the new stuff to make up for the shitty silver tins. There was no need for that in the golden tins that are pressurized. The new stuff takes me 2-3days to dry. Here just recently, they brought back the pressurization so that is a huge plus for those of us who age. I love their company and long live them and good choices.

Last edited: