PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Do jars count?17172780206483235430095006198914.jpg
It looks like I broke up a few to fit them all in. Gorgeous lemony citrus sweet but deep hay notes. I don't smell like rum, so maybe it's approved for a former soldier. Joint Duty Flake?

Mrs. Rookie surprised me with an early Father's Day present. I'm going on a cruise/ tour on the Pride of Baltimore II on Monday. So I grabbed 6 Navy flake tins and rolled a dice. I'm bringing Newminister Superior Navy Flake to smoke on an authentic tall wooden sailing ship. But first, a few pipes to practice so it doesn't bite my tongue and embarrass me in front of sailors.

Attachments

• 17172780596693149745511929585901.jpg
    17172780596693149745511929585901.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 7

Auxsender

Lifer
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Pfeifen Huber Old Belt Virginia.
Having the first bowl now.
So far it’s…fine. Absolutely nothing to write home about. I prefer Derringer, Simply Orange, Kendall Gold etc.
Tin note smelled like it had a topping but that topping isn’t in the smoke as far as I can tell. It’s very natural and, frankly, boring. No bite for me and seems to be easy going in the bowl.
Now onto the pics…

View attachment 313678View attachment 313679View attachment 313680
Ok. After a little decanting, this blend is much better. That first bowl was sparked maybe 3 mins after opening the tin. Even only a couple days later, this bad boy has become deeply, but not overly sweet but only sometimes. Sometimes there’s like a peach cobbler vibe but not in a sweet way. It’s bready and buttery and just really unique and delicious now with like 2 days of air.

Tbaggins

Oct 15, 2021
Montana
Oooh good point. I just popped a tin of it too and I thought it smelled of marshmallow and chicory root but now that you mention it... it smells an awful lot like Sir Walter Scott Creme de Figue
You’re the man! It’s been driving me nuts. I just tossed an ancient tin of that the other day. Might have to make another order now. Definitely get the marshmallow and chicory comparison too!

jbfrady

Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
You’re the man! It’s been driving me nuts. I just tossed an ancient tin of that the other day. Might have to make another order now. Definitely get the marshmallow and chicory comparison too!
It certainly helped jog my memory when you mentioned snuff since Creme de Figue is in my top 5. (Tears of Chios by Sir Walter Scott and Crumbs of Comfort by Wilson's are the best, IMO.)

Tbaggins

Oct 15, 2021
Montana
It certainly helped jog my memory when you mentioned snuff since Creme de Figue is in my top 5. (Tears of Chios by Sir Walter Scott and Crumbs of Comfort by Wilson's are the best, IMO.)
SWS makes some great snuff, if I had to chose one from them it’d be Roslein. Bernard’s Fichtenaddle will always be my favorite. Close behind would be Steife Prise, and Amostrinha.

Reactions: Steddy and jbfrady