PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm curious while I'm in my search, if you had to pick ONE blend to rule them all, to smoke for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
Having smoked hundreds of different blends I'd have to say I've never encountered such a blend. I don't eat only one food. I don't imbibe only one drink. I was born with senses to use and enjoy them. Long live variety.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
My "regular" smoke is Peter Skokkebye English Oriental Supreme. I buy it by the 5 lb. bag, so it comes at a reasonable price. Usually I smoke 10 or so bowls a day and once in a while I like a bowl of something different. Raleigh is a good alternative choice and occasionally I even indulge in a bowl of aromatic. To keep things interesting I have about 25 different blends at home all the time. Some of them I whip up myself. puffy

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Would never willingly limit my options, but if i HAD TO, would be Sutliff Vanilla Custard. It is my go to, and the wife loves the room note and the smell in my beard. Burns really well. There you go.
Just got some of this with a shipment yesterday. Enjoying it as I type. I’ve been experimenting with some vanillas off and on lately when not experimenting with English, and even to my untrained palate, this stuff is noteworthy!

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
A dedicated one-blend smoker is a rare bird indeed. I’m of that genre.

I sample other blends but when I return to Granger, it solidifies my love of this simple blend.

But it seems you are enamored with the “idea” of smoking only one blend and I have to agree with others whom have asked, why?

Granger clicks with me to the point where I have to be in the mood to reach for something else but I didn’t plan it this way.

Yes, I’ve discovered a few blends that would keep me happily smoking if Granger was no longer available, but It wouldn’t be the same.

I’m definitely in the minority on this forum.
This is exactly how I am with Sir Walter Raleigh. I smoke one of those 7oz tubs without even realizing I haven’t wanted a different blend while smoking it until the whole thing is gone. Smoking SWR doesn’t fatigue my palate in any way no matter how much of it I smoke. Everybody has a different palate and some people may experience a similar mouth feel with a straight Virginia, English, etc. Unless you’ve found a blend that you can pack bowl after bowl with continued satisfaction for months on end, I’d hold off of culling all of your tobacco down to one blend. If and when you ever find that perfect blend for you, you’ll know it when you smoke it.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
That's a tough one. I'd not want to do so, but I could survive on any one of the following without suffering:
  • Original Frog
  • McClelland Xmas Cheer
  • Dunhill 965
  • Haddo's Delight
  • Dorisco
  • Veermaster

ChippewaAce

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2021
Tennessee
Thank you all for responding! I expected nothing less from this group, so however you chose to respond is appreciated by me.

My personal reasoning is fairly simple, as I first stated, my palette is not nearly as refined as many of yours, and though I've been a pipe smoker for 15+ years now, I can honestly say I've enjoyed 99% of the bowls I've smoked and not noticed a world of difference in many of them. I've probably tried over 50 varieties in that time (which is a lot for me).

That being said, it's more the ritual and relaxation aspect at the end of a long day or a lazy Sunday afternoon on the porch that makes it enjoyable for me, not having multiple flavor options, though I certainly appreciate that point of view as well!

I've recently made a lot of choices to simplify my life. Clothes, relationships, etc. Condensing and trimming the fat if you will, to ensure my personal circle stays healthy and joyful. I'm merely extending that notion to my pipes and tobacco. I've gotten it down to 6 pipes that I adore and plan on finding that one (maybe two) blends that I can buy and just smoke the daylights out of.

Again, I appreciate ALL of your responses, and knew I was asking for it posing this question :ROFLMAO:

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I would happily limit myself to one blend. I have before and will again. It's not an issue for me.

I smoke because I can and I find it enjoyable and relaxing. I don't have to work at it. I have a mild blend that burns neither hot nor leaves a ghost. There are more tasty blends than the one I smoke, but they aren't always available. I have a backup favorite. - it is a bit like a watered down Baptist, but even more so than a Presbyterian. More like an Episcopalian. It's called Black Maria by John Dengler. If she were a woman, she'd make good pies, decent meals, and the house would be cleaned on most every day. The sex would be just fine.

Anyway, chasing tail or being habitually dissatisfied with both myself and life is something I gave up a long time ago.

I am not a pipe smoker. I am someone who smokes a pipe.
Black Maria by John Dengler is a very nice blend!!
I presume I have a sample of your first choice in my cellar too - but I haven’t tried it yet?

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I think that you should at least buy a pipe, but it is merely a suggestion. We have had pipe collectors that don't smoke on here, and I met a young kid at a pipe shop once who was accompanied by his parents because he collected pipes as mere objects, but he also obviously on spectrum.

Interesting. I'm not sure I would be comfortable here as a non-smoker. Anyways, I was very curious...

• Haha
Reactions: Reggie

PoplarWight

Might Stick Around
Feb 13, 2022
Trapped in the root ball, Alabama
I could be satisfied with any of the burley forward OTC blends forever. I'd miss my English blends, but I couldn't smoke any of them all day. Here lately just enjoy something one dimensional and pleasant with my coffee in the morning.
I guess if I had to pick one, probably SWRA since everyone else likes the smell, but Granger or H&H Chatham Manor would be fine.

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
This is exactly how I am with Sir Walter Raleigh. I smoke one of those 7oz tubs without even realizing I haven’t wanted a different blend while smoking it until the whole thing is gone. Smoking SWR doesn’t fatigue my palate in any way no matter how much of it I smoke. Everybody has a different palate and some people may experience a similar mouth feel with a straight Virginia, English, etc. Unless you’ve found a blend that you can pack bowl after bowl with continued satisfaction for months on end, I’d hold off of culling all of your tobacco down to one blend. If and when you ever find that perfect blend for you, you’ll know it when you smoke it.
It's your Lucky Day...Just in from P&C.

SirWR.png

Status
Not open for further replies.