PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
That’s the story of coloring a Meer. I tried using a coloring bowl but I didn’t like the weight forward aspect of it. The one this I have found that helps is after I smoke a bowl, unlike briars that I immediately dump and wipe, I leave the dottle in the bowl and don’t use a pipe cleaner immediately after the smoke. I wait until the pipe completely cools and then I do it.

Good to know. I sometimes don't use a pipe cleaner at all! ?

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
From your other threads, and seeing how the pipe has changed, this should be really interesting.

• Love
Reactions: didimauw

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Another small update. Still slow going, but I was able to finally get a decent picture comparison of color on it in the early stages.

Bowl 35 spent in the garage working on my Jeep. Finally made room for both vehicles, so I'll be spending a lot more time out there, if you know what I mean.
PXL_20210110_075943396.jpg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My IMP meer seems to have gone into slow motion mode as I've smoked probably 200 bowls in it since mid October alone, without much change in color. My pipe seems to be slowwwwly turning a golden color over the entire pipe at this point as opposed to a strong contrast on the shank and the bottom of bowl. At least that's how I perceive things. Some of you guys seem to be coloring at amazing rates such as @Jwebb90 and @chasingembers. I don't know, there are different factors involved I suppose, such as wall thickness etc.

The German guy, Bremen Pipe Smoker on youtube has a cool video where he shows a lot of meers and how each one colored at a different rate.
I feel so lucky my first meer started colouring almost right away. I don't smoke that one all that much it's kind of a special occasion or weird mood pipe and if it's the only pipe I smoked for a year it would probably be like those meers that have turned a dark almost black.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I feel so lucky my first meer started colouring almost right away. I don't smoke that one all that much it's kind of a special occasion or weird mood pipe and if it's the only pipe I smoked for a year it would probably be like those meers that have turned a dark almost black.
I’ve had my IMP 3 years and it did color fairly quickly on the shank but then started dragging it’s feet. I still love it though. I’m giving it a little break and I’m currently full-time abusing the Altinay I picked up on the 1st of the year.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I’ve had my IMP 3 years and it did color fairly quickly on the shank but then started dragging it’s feet. I still love it though. I’m giving it a little break and I’m currently full-time abusing the Altinay I picked up on the 1st of the year.
one of the things you gotta love about pipes is each is unique in some way. And like people you can make educated guess about how they'll be but you can't know until you spend time with them what they're really like.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Well, I ended up taking about a month off of pipe smoking, due to the severe cold here in Wisconsin. But it's finally warming up, and I'm back at it! 42 degrees today, and I'm enjoying bowl some briar fox on my porch, sunbathing with a cup of coffee. Man it's good to be back!

Bowl 41

Attachments

• PXL_20210303_182918174.jpg
    PXL_20210303_182918174.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 24

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
Ahh, I remember this thread! JK I have been wondering how the coloring is going though. I have a meerschaum I got for Christmas but have only smoked it 3 times so no coloring yet. Looking forward to your upcoming posts!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Status
Not open for further replies.