PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brut666

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2020
Kent, "The Garden Of England"

Ok, I'm up to speed with the last two.
I'm pleased you've not waited till the 2nd of August to start this meer challenge as you suggested. Here's to the next 12 months puffy

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
That's one really nice pipe Didi.

Am also looking forward to how it colours, especially with the way that it's carved [It would look fantastic if the grooves coloured first leaving the face white for a while]

Meers look so much better with an amber/orange coloured stem. That one is really appealing. They look great when the pipes new and look even better as the pipe colours.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I don't remember where I read it, but I think there was a practice of wrapping meerschaum pipes in a cloth for extra or quicker colouring. Definitely not the leather wrapped pipes you see. For some reason, flannel sticks in my mind. Maybe it was linen. Lifeguards were somehow in the story? Don't know. Just flashes of an article out there somewhere.

It is probably a hassle, but if you wanted it to turn a deep purple/black, I would think a year of straight smoking could come close.

If you have beeswax, I found that after a couple of months of regular smoking and then an application of wax really made the colour pop. I'm quite sure it's not just the wax doing that. I've waxed new pipes without the same effect. I'd recommend you apply some wax after a month or two and see how it goes.

I heat up a small bowl of it on the stove. I cut a wine cork to fit the openings, leaving a pin hole in one of them to let the air pressure do it's thing without wax getting in the bowl and drop the pipe in for a minute or two. It's very easy if you try. The effects are very nice.

Good luck on the experiment!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Do it asap! I put off to long with my uncle. He was 96, great health, then had a tragic incident. Poof, gone. Thought I would be ok and ask his widow (96), Their house blew up 6 months later with her in it. You never know...
Oh man I'm sorry to hear that brother.

I talk to my grandpa on the phone regularly, I know he'd love to tell me more about it. I'll get more info about his pipe too if I can. Haha

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Oh man I'm sorry to hear that brother.

I talk to my grandpa on the phone regularly, I know he'd love to tell me more about it. I'll get more info about his pipe too if I can. Haha

As a student of WW2, would really enjoy hearing his story.??

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.