PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

J.Henry845

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
38 years old and started smoking cigarettes at 17, Lucky Strike and Camel unfiltered were my brands of choice.

I have been smoking a pipe for 11 years.

First pipe tobacco ever smoked was Sir Walter Raleigh which I still smoke semi- regularly. When I first started with pipes it was mostly SWR, Granger, Mixture 79, and Carter Hall. First tin was Orlik Golden Sliced and smoked mostly English/Balkan blends for years after discovering latakia.

These days I have mostly been smoking Gawith & Hoggarth lakelands & ropes, Burley/Dark Fired forward blends, and a few English/Balkan blends. I know what I like and pretty much stopped trying new blends and stock up on what I like. I roughly have a 5 year supply of tobacco cellared and figure I will be kicking for another 20-25 years. I might as well keep building up the cellar with what I enjoy before prices sky rocket and regulations tighten.

As for pipes: 3 Meerschaums, about a dozen cobs, 32 briars, and 3 Falcon stems with 7 bowls. Trying to keep pipe acquisition at bay for now.

Reactions: OzPiper and JOHN72
Nov 10, 2020
Petersburg, VA
31. Smoked cigarettes for a decade then switched exclusively to pipes about a year and a half ago.

My first tobacco was Captain Black White because that's all I knew but now I smoke a good variety of different smokes. I think my primary three are Sam Gawaith's Full Virginia Flake, Sir Walter Raleigh (non-aro), and Cornell & Diehl's Mad Fiddler Flake.

My pipe collection is six briars, two serious cobs, and a bag of trial cobs. I've got a Peterson that I love dearly (straight, Dublin-bowl) but truth be told my favourite pipes are all Brighams.

All Forums members are at least 21 years of age, or 18 depending on jurisdiction, no matter what they say.
I think he is saying that those statistics include non-member lurkers also. Although, I wonder how Google knows the ages of everyone.
Phhht, what am I saying; Google probably knows more about me than my wife.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I think he is saying that those statistics include non-member lurkers also. Although, I wonder how Google knows the ages of everyone.
Phhht, what am I saying; Google probably knows more about me than my wife.
Antonio Banderas........lurkers............??????............literally...........

Reactions: kcghost
WoW, I never realized there are so many lurkers.
This is why I don't encourage people to make posts telling us where a tobacco has just been put back in stock. They are actually telling the world, not just their friends. And, usually those things posted will run out faster than the rest of the new restocks.
There's no rule against making such posts, but it's just something to be aware of.

smknron

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
West Central Florida
This is why I don't encourage people to make posts telling us where a tobacco has just been put back in stock. They are actually telling the world, not just their friends. And, usually those things posted will run out faster than the rest of the new restocks.
There's no rule against making such posts, but it's just something to b

There's no rule against making such posts, but it's just something to be aware of.
Yeah, and the little guy, misses out a lot for sure.

Reactions: kcghost

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Here's age demographics from Google Analytics. Keep in mind this shows who is on the site overall, and there are way more lurkers than participants.

View attachment 64201
That doesn't look anything like the distribution of the members that responded to this thread so far. About 65% are over age 44. Less than 15% of responders are in the 25-34 age bracket, google says it is almost 30%. We are only looking at a tiny sample though (39 responses).

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'm 46. Started with cigars somewhere around age 14 and first picked up a pipe 12-14 years ago.

Started with a $10 no name basket pipe and a tin of Dunhill 3 year matured VA. The pipe went in the trash years ago after the stem became too loose but oddly enough I think that empty tin is probably sitting in a box in my garage.

I've probably got around 150 pipes and have no intention of stopping although I have a few to get rid of and my purchases are getting slower/more spaced apart.

Reactions: smknron and JOHN72

Reggie

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama
How old are you? When did you start smoking a pipe? What was the first tobacco you smoked regularly and what do you smoke now? How many pipes do you have and did you ever stop buying pipes?
I am 55. I started at around 47. I started with various aros and quickly matured to Va/VaPers. Right now I'm really loving Rattray's Hal O the Wynd. I have about 30 pipes and just left the local BM scouting a new Lovat.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I'm 63 ; youth is not about age, it is a quality :) Some days feel like 18, some days 110 .
I started young, when at the Uni . Cigars too.
In and out of smoking ( pipes ) ever since, now picked it up on a regular basis again, still a very light smoker.
Smoked Park Lane nr. 7 in the early years, now enjoy several . Love Seattle pipe club tobaccos, also McClelland etc.
I meanwhile lost count , it is embarrassing. Collect and refurbish, will start selling soon.
Love old brit wood.

Last edited:
Reactions: JOHN72 and Kottan
Status
Not open for further replies.