PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEP7cv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2020
Portugal
Pipe smoker since 1980.First pipe was a house pipe bought from the Wally Frank shop on Main Street in Huntington,Long Island,NY. Have 50 to 60 working pipes at this point.Had over 200 about 15 years ago.
so I was born in 1980... are you my pipefather?:D

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
I’m 33.

First pipe was when I was ~13. Regularly smoking when I was 19.

Carter Hall was the first I ever tried. Balkan Sasieni is what made me dive in deep. I mostly smoke VAs lately, but I smoke everything with aromatics being the least. I only smoke those when “sensitive” types are around.

I have 11 pipes, only 8 of which I really smoke. I prefer to drop whatever money I can spare on tobacco instead of pipes, but I have been itching for something new.
Have you talked to the gentleman in the blue mock turtleneck? Maybe he can be of assistance.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
It is interesting to read the range of age and experience. I am 65 and first smoked a pipe at around i8 (purchased in a blister pack from a drug store. I thought you had to wash it after each smoke so did in hot water and dish soap. I tried every drug store blend that I could find still love the excitement of trying new blends. I try to include at least one in each order. Mostly, I find then unimpressive but every once in while I find one I love such as Sutliff Red Virginia Crumble, HU Bahia and Wessex Brigade fragrant virginia.) I had a pipe smoking hiatus after Law School and when my children were young but missed it greatly. Picked back up about 20 or so years ago and have enjoyed almost every minute. There is very little in life that is more enjoyable than when you experience the so-called "Nirvana" smoke. This Christmas received a gift from one of my children who had, like so many others, a tough year financially, a Peterson Estate Donegal Rocky with some cosmetic issues which, for some reason, smokes perfectly and sweetly every time. Could be the pipe...probably the young man.

ahinesdesign

Lurker
Jan 4, 2021
NC, USA
I'm 38, started smoking a pipe around 2007 (so I was... let's see... about 25) but also had about a 10 year gap in there where I did not smoke a pipe at all. I've never had a regular or go-to tobacco, always changing it up. I like Belgian Semois (burley) the most, but I also smoke VA's and others. I own 4 pipes.

Reactions: JOHN72

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
How old are you? When did you start smoking a pipe? What was the first tobacco you smoked regularly and what do you smoke now? How many pipes do you have and did you ever stop buying pipes?
Hey Merton, I'm 40. I started with pipes about 10-12 yrs ago and started with CB Royal. Now I try everything I can. I have 15 pipes and I guess I'm still "collecting."

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Merton

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I’ll be 51 in October. I’ve been smoking a pipe for about 3 1/2 years. I love the artistry of pipes, the history, the ritual of smoking and relaxing. I enjoy variety in blends, lots, like 50 or so, open jars. 44 pipes and growing. Learning to do very easy clean up on estates.

Also, getting into and enjoying cigars. For a life long swimmer, ex water polo player and current cyclist, I really enjoy smoking! Everything in moderation. 1 bowl per day or 1 cigar in lieu of pipe.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
How old are you? When did you start smoking a pipe? What was the first tobacco you smoked regularly and what do you smoke now? How many pipes do you have and did you ever stop buying pipes?

Somewhere around 1972, had a cob and smoked Borkhum Riff Whiskey.
Mostly Virginia Flake but numerous other VaOr, VaBur and VaPer blends.
Around 80.
Never, I'm still alive.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
How old? 36
When did you start? Tale end of 2013
Starting tobacco? 7 Seas Black and Royal
Now tobacco? Mostly burleys and virginias but I smoke everything except for Lakelands.
How many pipes? 13 briars, 5 cobs, and 4 meers. I've been thinking of selling all but 2 of my briars and buying 2-3 more meers and calling it for the collection. We'll see how the future plays out.

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
I'm 24 so I guess I'm in the younger crowd. Been smoking a pipe since 19 years old. Started with a tin of aromatic Ashton Rainy Day but quickly moved to other blends. I smoke all kinds of blends depending on what I fancy at the time and currently own 6 briar pipes (5 gets smoked regularly). I also own 3 corn cobs which don't get smoked at all as I can't stand the stems on those. I feel like I have enough pipes at the moment.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I'm 40, and I bought my first pipe 11 years ago. I dabbled with the usual house aro blends, but the first blend I really liked and smoked regularly was McClelland's Classic Samsun. I smoked pretty infrequently until about two years ago, when it became a regular thing. Now I smoke pretty much all genres, but tend to prefer Va/VaPer/VaOr blends. I have 20-25 pipes, mostly briars, and I have definitely not stopped buying pipes.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
My knees and back are 102 thanks to the Army. I am somewhat younger. Started smoking in 2006 while in Afghanistan but didn't pick it up here until 2012. My first regular tobacco was SPC Plum Pudding, but like MSO, I had a lot of Tinderbox rebranded Lane blends along with McClelland. Coyote Classic will always be a favorite. Now I smoke Crooner, Wafflehouse (Tinderbox), and Plum Pudding. I have 225 or so pipes and cannot seem to stop buying them when I can. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.