PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
I'm 32, starting smoking a pipe when I was 21 so 11 years now. My first blend was paladin black cherry, and I don't know how I kept going starting on that one. A friend gave me some OGS not long after that and the rest is history. I smoke pretty much all genres except dark fired Kentucky. I have about 22 pipes. When my children grow up, I'd like to have over 100.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I'll be 52 in March. How long? Which time? I first picked up the pipe 31 years ago. Took a hiatus or two along the way. Been steady for the past 7 or 8 years, I guess. Don't remember what I smoked 31 years ago, but GLP Gas Light became a favorite this go round. Hate Latakia now, though. I have had hundreds of pipes pass through in the last seven or eight years, but have culled the hard dramatically. Now have 14 pipes, with one up for sale now. My preferences have been much refined, and I am only buying family era Sasieni Billiard and Dublin pipes now.

Jeesh, was I supposed to mark it down on a calendar? I am probably in the average range, definitely not the oldest nor youngest.
When asked how long I've been smoking, I used to say a couple of years, but I've been doing that for a long time now. Mmmmmmm... let's see... I have to think about how long I've had the new house, how long I've known my wife... subtract my dog's age, add in how long I've owned my truck... 12 years, give or take.

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
How old are you? When did you start smoking a pipe? What was the first tobacco you smoked regularly and what do you smoke now? How many pipes do you have and did you ever stop buying pipes?

I’m 22, started at 18. My first and only common smoke for two or so years was Prince Albert. Now I smoke anything but Latakia, and my daily favorites can be found within Virginias/VaPers.
I currently have 7 pipes, three Savinelli (Clark’s Favorite, Fantasia 626, Tortuga 504, all rusticated), one 1980’s Chacom, a MM Diplomat Poker, and two tester pipes, a mini meerschaum and an small clay. I don’t think I’m quite done buying pipes, as I have my eyes on Sav’s Miele 611 KS and Marte 121 KS, but, I’m far more of a pipe tobacco collector than a pipe collector. After those two, I know I’ll be set for a long while, and I’ll probably only spring after that for something special, maybe a Punto Oro Gold or a Giubileo d’Oro, though, I have doubts that they’ll be worth it in the end.

fihbkyle

Lurker
Dec 28, 2020
South Dakota
Kids table checking in. 29 years old, started when I was 17 (my poor mother). My buddy had a MM cob and a tin of CAO Eileens dream that I'd steal. Prince Albert was the first tobacco I smoked regularly (through college). I hold myself to a rotation of ~10 pipes; 5 rotation pipes, 2 with larger/ smaller bowls, 1 pipe for american aromatics, a garage cob, and a "dress" pipe. Probably bought and sold a hundred pipes in the last ten years, though. Woodworking is what brought me to the hobby, I like to buy and restore eBay estates.

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
How old are you? When did you start smoking a pipe? What was the first tobacco you smoked regularly and what do you smoke now? How many pipes do you have and did you ever stop buying pipes?
I'm 64 and started smoking when I was 15. First tobacco I bought was Condor twist. Still smoke Condor when I can get it although ready rubbed as the twist disappeared years ago. My pipe collection is very small at around a dozen pipes.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I'm 52 next week. Smoking a pipe for 3 1/2 years, after 33 years of cigarettes and a 2 1/2 year transition of vaping and then the pipe.

Cigars have crept in during the last few months, which I find odd, as I never could appreciate them before.

My first tin was John Cotton's #1. I've built a "lifetime cellar" in the last few years, 95% non-aromatic. I seem to like all non-aro's, so far.

I have about 20 pipes in active rotation with another 40 or so held in the "strategic reserve". As long as flints, butane and pipe cleaners are available, I should technically be set, at this point.

1611101600287.jpeg

shaneireland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 14, 2014
Conway, SC
www.smokingpipes.com
I'll be 33 soon and started when I was 18, so it's been nearly 15 years.

The first blend I loved and was loyal to was "Burley English," a Burley-based Latakia/Turkish blend made by Racine & Laramie in San Diego. And yes, they blended it; it wasn't rebranded bulk. It took me a few years of smoking that house blend exclusively before I started trying tinned stuff. Frog Morton, Mac Baren HH Matured Virginia, and Luxury Bullseye Flake were the next three I tried and then I went nuts.

I don't know how many pipes I have... it's easier that way.

WildTurkeySurprise

Can't Leave
Oct 23, 2020
Mt Juliet, TN
I’m 45. Approaching one year as a pipe smoker. Enjoyed good cigars for years prior, and I still smoke them here and there. Started with a Latakia, my local B&M house blend. Plum Pudding was my first favorite of wide distribution. I have 10 briars, two cobs, and a meer. I see value in cellaring leaf over collecting pipes.

Garrett C

Lurker
Jan 12, 2021
I'm 22. Started smoking a pipe all the way back when I was 21 (two months ago). I've been trying all the tobacco I can get my hands on so I'm smoking a bit of everything. If I had to choose one I've tried so far as a regular smoke it'd be Scotty's Butternut Burley. As much as I anticipated to prefer virginias, I've been leaning toward burley and dark fired Kentucky blends. I currently have 7 pipes with no plan to stop buying anytime soon.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Smoking tobacco is the best thing that's ever happened to me in my life............The tobacco variety pipe,makes me cry with pleasure.I always remember my father smoking at his job,in the mornig very early.Now I understand a lot of things about my father for the love of tobacco................?

Paul lec

Lifer
May 28, 2020
I'm 68,been smoking pipes on and off for 50 yrs. First smoked Cherry Blend then mostly cigs but always had a pipe around, Started smoking PA on a regular basis for about 30 years,then discoverd the wide world of different tobacco and the many different pipes available on the internet. I have about 20 pipes,none very valuable,but I am enjoying the hobby and this forum.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Old enough that I should know better, but still young enough to be constantly disregarding that.
Started early '70s at university with a variety of OTC tobaccos - Amphora, Borkum Riff, Mixture 79 until I discovered a tobacconist who made up his own blends and proceeded to educate me in tobacco. Stopped smoking when the children came along. Took up pipes again a few years ago, after 15 years of smoking cigars exclusively.
Over 100 pipes, including quite a few that I bought in the '70s
Smoking mainly English/Balkan and VaPer blends, but I do enjoy the occasional bowl of aromatics

Reactions: edger and JOHN72

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island

PS Optimum although it was called something different by my local B&M. Now mostly VAs and VaPers.

Roughly 80, never.

Reactions: Reggie
Status
Not open for further replies.