PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
What I find ironic is that all hospitals in Arizona have signs stating "No Tobacco Products" and yet they will prescribe a nicotine patch for you. The nicotine in the patch is extracted from tobacco. One set of rules for us - another set of rules for you...

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Look, I’m talking about something more dumded down than that. If I want to smoke my pipe in my car between appointments, I’m not causing plastic or oxygen fueled fires! When I went to basic training the instructors would say.....”smokers fall out, all others get in the barracks and start cleaning the latrine”. I get it but damn they don’t prohibit your car idling more than 2 minutes or McDonald’s food for VA patients, all just as bad

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I get it but damn they don’t prohibit your car idling more than 2 minutes or McDonald’s food for VA patients, all just as bad
Focus! We are discussing smoking prohibitions not eating or idling vehicles. Although, I'd be very interested in seeing come citations making comparasions of the individual risks of smoking versus fast foods or idling automobiles.

Reactions: kurtbob
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Focus! We are discussing smoking prohibitions not eating or idling vehicles. Although, I'd be very interested in seeing come citations making comparasions of the individual risks of smoking versus fast foods or idling automobiles.

Here you go.. not saying I buy it. There's a doctor or a scientist willing to agree or disagree with anything if it promotes there agenda.

I think our friend is referring to risky behavior. That's where he his trying to make a comparison.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"Synthetic doesn't involve tobacco." The poster was speaking to "tobacco" prohibitions.

My mistake, I thought we were discussing tobacco usage. So conflate we will and damn a cogent discussion. I say tomatoes should be prohibited as everyone who eats a tomato today, will be dead by 2120. Risky behavior eating tomatoes is! Ban 'em! Snickers bars and Buffalo Wings too.

"The reason why it might be problematic if it's synthetic nicotine is, that all too often synthetic drugs carry many deadly side effects which are not present in the use of the natural (and unpatentable [sic]) natural one.''

Tobacco is really only dangerous when ignited and the carcinogens are absorbed. Granted, nicotine in the blood does displace oxygen which is not efficacious of course.

Regulations already exist prohibiting idling vehicles in certain weather. Vehicle prohibition also exists under certain climatic conditions in certain areas. Nothing new with that. But, the OP was addressing smoking, again I write "smoking", at VA facilities.

I suppose, as smoking is indefensible anywhere at anytime other than as a manifestation of the smoker's selfish choices, the scope of the discussion must be widened, sometimes into absurdity.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
"Synthetic doesn't involve tobacco." The poster was speaking to "tobacco" prohibitions.

My mistake, I thought we were discussing tobacco usage. So conflate we will and damn a cogent discussion. I say tomatoes should be prohibited as everyone who eats a tomato today, will be dead by 2120. Risky behavior eating tomatoes is! Ban 'em! Snickers bars and Buffalo Wings too.

"The reason why it might be problematic if it's synthetic nicotine is, that all too often synthetic drugs carry many deadly side effects which are not present in the use of the natural (and unpatentable [sic]) natural one.''

Tobacco is really only dangerous when ignited and the carcinogens are absorbed. Granted, nicotine in the blood does displace oxygen which is not efficacious of course.

Regulations already exist prohibiting idling vehicles in certain weather. Vehicle prohibition also exists under certain climatic conditions in certain areas. Nothing new with that. But, the OP was addressing smoking, again I write "smoking", at VA facilities.

I suppose, as smoking is indefensible anywhere at anytime other than as a manifestation of the smoker's selfish choices, the scope of the discussion must be widened, sometimes into absurdity.

Well there you have it..

Status
Not open for further replies.