PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
One of the strange early memories of the New Zealand cricket team was the captain (I think it was John Wright or Geoff Howarth ) smoking a cigarette just outside the boundary line, posing for the TV camera. That would probably be late 1980s.
Mini baseball players in the 60s 70s up to the 80s used to smoke in the park and a famous picture of one of my favorite Boston Red Sox players Jerry Remy second baseman, with him standing in the tunnel between the dugout and the locker room smoking a cigarette during the game. 😂

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
Mini baseball players in the 60s 70s up to the 80s used to smoke in the park and a famous picture of one of my favorite Boston Red Sox players Jerry Remy second baseman, with him standing in the tunnel between the dugout and the locker room smoking a cigarette during the game.
Two of my favorite pictures right here. Smoking in the dugout!
A6F76D51-F762-453B-ABE3-553B0C29078C.jpeg
D676E3CB-5FC0-436B-AE3F-E00518A3DCFD.jpeg

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@Ahi Ka I don’t know if will care to involve yourself in this matter, but this is a perfect example of Government trying to tell people how to live their life, and they have no rights!

The only way this happens around the world, is when people give up their rights to be free, and allow Government to control them.

It should be said around the world in all countries;

“The job of Government is to run a country, not people”!

Forgot all the conversations that sit on government tables that they discuss, why they are supposedly doing what they do. Because all of the reasons of this, that, if, ands, buts and whys, etc., as the reasons, they don’t matter!

The only thing that ever matters, and should always be the real topic of discussions, is that you are trying to control us, and tell us how to live, and no person has that right, and no person is above any other person, and government certainly isn’t above the people. Governments are suppose to be by the people for the people, doing what we tell them, they work for us, not the other way around!

Bottom Line: The second governments around the world start pulling their nonsense on people, the Freedom Fighters in those countries, hopefully with the smartest lawyers, fight for their people and freedoms to be free and choose!

Here’s to hoping NZ always lives Free! ❤️

Last edited:

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
@Ahi Ka I don’t know if will care to involve yourself in this matter, but this is a perfect example of Government trying to tell people how to live their life, and they have no rights!

The only way this happens around the world, is when people give up their rights to be free, and allow Government to control them.

It should be said around the world in all countries;

“The job of Government is to run a country, not people”!

Forgot all the conversations that sit on government tables that they discuss, why they are supposedly doing what they do. Because all of the reasons of this, that, if, ands, buts and whys, etc., as the reasons, they don’t matter!

The only thing that ever matters, and should always be the real topic of discussions, is that you are trying to control us, and tell us how to live, and no person has that right, and no person is above any other person, and government certainly isn’t above the people. Governments are suppose to be by the people for the people, doing what we tell them, they work for us, not the other way around!

Bottom Line: The second governments around the world start pulling their nonsense on people, the Freedom Fighters in those countries, hopefully with the smartest lawyers, fight for their people and freedoms to be free and choose!

Here’s to hoping NZ always lives Free! ❤️
To be fair my island brother, I have contributed early on each time these NZ threads come up…And then I step aside. Discussing this stuff is a waste of forum time for me, and would be better spent posting Mariah Carey memes or looking at homegrown threads.

I find it easy to get frustrated by the emphasis on tax revenue or caught up in the whole individual rights, but I find little room for personal growth there, and in fact wonder if those knee jerk responses are pressure release valves designed to maintain hegemony, whilst we still feel as though we are resisting.

What I do find helpful, and by that I also mean challenging, is to continually recontextualize this shit within an indigeneity discourse.

If tobacco related legislation forces me to consider health inequalities, both historic and current, in relation to my nation’s social structure, that’s not a bad thing.

If my hand is literally forced to turn to growing tobacco rather than relying on importing commercial produced stuff, and therefore grow in my understanding of the environment I live in and have grown to love, then awesome.

I actually see this as an exciting opportunity for pipe smokers in Aotearoa to have a better understanding of how tobacco as a commodity has been interwoven with our colonial story, to reclaim the (brief) heritage of NZ grown leaf, and to consider the wide reaching implications of te Tiriti o waitangi into all aspects of our life and identity.

See my bro, this is why I bail on these threads. Being on a soap box is exhausting.

2338DE2E-FB25-4290-9A4F-A9ACA85AA84C.gif

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
Mini baseball players in the 60s 70s up to the 80s used to smoke in the park and a famous picture of one of my favorite Boston Red Sox players Jerry Remy second baseman, with him standing in the tunnel between the dugout and the locker room smoking a cigarette during the game. 😂
When I was young and had aspirations to be a pro baseball player I told myself I would never smoke cigarette. That is until I saw Hammerin Hank at the old San Diego Stadium smoking in the dugout. The smoking cigarettes continued for 35 years the baseball dreams about 7 years.