PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
As far as I can tell the legislation only raises the age of being able to legally purchase tobacco in NZ. It doesn’t have any impact on the legal smoking age
Dunno man, the way I read it people born on or after Jan 1 2009 will never be legally able to buy tobacco. So how does it raise the age for legally buying tobacco?

Reactions: ron123 and Ahi Ka

geoffs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2022
Ontario
Make no mistake, the goal is to eradicate tobacco use in NZ. Over the course of the past 3 years governments have become far more bold in taking steps to limit the freedoms of their populations, and this is yet another example. This is frightening and we shouldn't ignore it because it's happening on the other side of the world. It's coming here next.
In the meantime they will sell you cannabis to dull your senses and make you numb to what is actually happening.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Dunno man, the way I read it people born on or after Jan 1 2009 will never be legally able to buy tobacco. So how does it raise the age for legally buying tobacco?
They will never be able to buy it as the legal age for purchasing tobacco will be raised each year.

Unless something has changed in the legislation over the last three months - quite possible, so I apologise for any confusion, as I haven’t reread it - it doesn’t deal with actual smoking, importing, growing but only purchasing, either for yourself or for someone who doesn’t meet the age requirements.

it looks like there may be some scope for gifting in some capacity.
In the meantime they will sell you cannabis to dull your senses and make you numb to what is actually happening.
While I agree with a lot of the sentiments in your post, I feel it worthwhile to add that (rightly or wrongly) by way of a public referendum a few years back, the decriminalisation of cannabis here in Aotearoa hasn’t occurred.

Also, this whole smoke free 2025 thing has been in the pipeline for ages.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
The fun bit: Once a society becomes cashless and daily life is impossible without creating endless digital records, resisting the Group of Wise and Beneficent People will also be impossible. Everything they need to destroy a citizen who refuses to "get with the program" will be at their fingertips.
It's this scenario that many people point to as the base case for using crypto currency.

Reactions: FLDRD and ron123

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
I gotta say, I’m genuinely curious to see whether being told you cannot purchase tobacco actually fuels a renewed interest in smoking. Probably not given the cost, and the overwhelming ease of access to vaping stuff

I keep waiting for a generation of youth that will actually rebel, but it seems to be a trait unique to the 50s and 60s kids. That said, I do seem to see more younger people smoking cigarettes again, and vaping is now so ubiquitous that I can't truly see smoking disappearing.

New Zealand is an interesting case as smoking rates are already incredibly low, matching a general western decline which I suspect doesn't have that much to do with anti smoking policies as people think; and it is also an island nation, meaning smuggling is much harder.

Reactions: karam

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Link's such as this one will likely shock and outrage an international community of smokers like this, but for those of us in NZ it is such old news. 2025 has been the smokefree goal for as long as I can remember, and the smokefree campaign posters were up in my primary school in the 90's already, maybe even 80's?? Certainly well before I took up a pipe. This is not just some recent woke political agenda. Within the cultural context of my country as a whole I do not even really think of it as a negative move. I really enjoy growing my own.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
It's this scenario that many people point to as the base case for using crypto currency.
Huh? With exchanges failing left and right, cryptobro scandals and on top of that, all transactions recorded on a public ledger? Sounds like the most restrictive system conceivable. Cash and only cash. If I wasn’t lazy I’d do everything with cash, but I am lazy and never have more than $10 (equivalent) on me.

Reactions: canucklehead

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Crypto can be used to purchase things without going through an exchange like FTX, Coinbase, Binance, etc. In fact, many of the true believers in crypto would never dream of putting their digital assets in someone else's hands.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Ironically the biggest advocate for removing the personal tax exemption provided for people processing their own homegrown tobacco here was Big Tobacco.
Doesn't surprise me a bit. The major corporations are as much a part of all our problems as government is...and the lines between the two are increasingly blurred...especially here in the U.S.

The merger of state and corporate power is a primary characteristic of fascism, but it doesn't seem to bother most of the people here who claim to be "anti-fascist"...therein lies the real irony.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Doesn't surprise me a bit. The major corporations are as much a part of all our problems as government is...and the lines between the two are increasingly blurred...especially here in the U.S.

The merger of state and corporate power is a primary characteristic of fascism, but it doesn't seem to bother most of the people here who claim to be "anti-fascist"...therein lies the real irony.
I can’t recall where I read it, but I’m pretty sure Big Tobacco could bankrupt a small nation like ours. Given how quickly pro-vaping NZ society has become, both in government discourse and general visibility, someone is certainly making a killing.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
We’ve come in a very peculiar situation in the western world were a lot of those who profess “freedoms” are actually constantly talking about restricting this or that, and those who actually live by it are seen as backward.

This scene I first saw when I was about 15, it stayed with me:

Off topic I know…

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
We’ve come in a very peculiar situation in the western world were a lot of those who profess “freedoms” are actually constantly talking about restricting this or that, and those who actually live by it are seen as backward.

This scene I first saw when I was about 15, it stayed with me:

Off topic I know…
“Fascists of the future will call themselves anti-fascists”.

Prophetic…

aspiring_sage

Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
If H. sapiens possessed an innate ability to detect and eliminate Dark Triad individuals as they appeared in the population, life on Earth since day one would have been orders of magnitude better in every measurable way and we'd be vastly more advanced now.
Though I generally love your posts, but I have to point out that this is exactly the same thinking that we hate from "them".

Reactions: kcghost