PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Interesting, I've been to Governors Island recently and toured the fort etc. although, I forgot most of what I learned. Actually, I live in an armory not far from the Navy Yard that was converted to apartments in the early 00s. Thankfully, my girlfriend had the common sense to stay put when she moved in many years ago as our place is rent stabilized, has a doorman, laundry etc...
An interesting story I heard after the Coast Guard moved to Staten Island was that the Coast Guard really didn't want to move but wasn't given a choice. Part of the story was that the government had planned on selling the property to New York and that it would then be sold to developers. The problem was that many of the structures on the northern half of the island were considered historical landmarks and that part of the island was declared a National Monument. Because of this selling or leasing the island to developers was impossible.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll stand up for Greenwich Village as it has been until very recently. True, true, plenty of young artists going nowhere, phonies, poseurs, and tourists. It was also a unique village in the midst of a vast city where a lot of greatly talented people made their mark. I say this because my wife lived and worked there for decades. I also say that as someone who has never lived in a romanticized place -- a suburb of Chicago which was not Chicago, some state university campuses not in the Ivy League, Neosho Missouri, and mid-sized cities hither and yon. So I know a hawk from a hand saw in terms of seeing where I am. My wife grew up in a tiny remote town in farm country in Missouri, so she also had a grounded perspective, and a lot of friends who once lived in Greenwich Village.

Last edited:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
How can we persuade people to vaccinate themselves and their children, if scientists are preaching rising sea levels and warnings of mass extinction to people who really have not accepted the world is billions of years old yet?
I once watched a documentary on that very subject, and they interviewed an American high school geography teacher who swore blind the earth was only ~6,000 years old!

Scary.

Regards,

Jay.

Jan 27, 2020
Well, reflecting on it I do agree that Greenwich Village is a really sad place these days. NYU expansion and most of their current student population has made it a very uninteresting place. I lived for 5 or so years staring in 2006 on West Broadway a few blocks south of Washington Sq Park in a large loft like apartment that my girlfriend at the time had a good deal on but I really don't know how much she was paying as I always avoided the subject.

One of my greatest personal degenerate successes dates back to that time actually. Their was this obnoxious club a few doors down from our place that drew a really horrid crowd and late one evening after picking up my girlfriend at the airport I was trying to park in front of our place and these two beefed up plucked eye brow north jersey types were standing in an open spot right in front of our place "holding" it for their brah who was circling the block or whatever, and rather aggro (likely roided-up and getting in my face) when I tried to reason with them. Anyways, I was too meek and tired to get into an altercation with these two belligerents having probably been berated the whole time by my ex-belligerent about well whatever she liked to bitch about so I dropped her off and parked elsewhere. Well, don't you know when I was about to enter our place I realized it was garbage day and saw a black bag sitting next to their tricked out Mazda or whatever and in the heat of the moment I ripped it open and dumped it all over their windshield. You can't belive the sort of stuff that was in there, dirty diapers, etc., it was like God was looking down on me and I hit the garbage jackpot for that particular moment! In hindsight typing this... I guess I really shouldn't be proud of this episode, and like to think I have grown since but well- whatever, that's just how the trash sometimes falls in NYC...

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Forget sinking cities, the Earth's rotation is slowing.

A day is now 1.7 milliseconds shorter than it was a hundred years ago.

This is an URGENT situation.

A social media ScreechFest-Protest-Calamity event must be organized, people must glue themselves to all sorts of shit, traffic must be stopped, and rocks and bricks must be thrown until giant jet engine towers are erected around the equator to STOP the slowing.

Because once it stops everyone on one side of the Earth will burn up, and on the other side they will freeze to death.

Reactions: brian64 and Kobold

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast

A social media ScreechFest-Protest-Calamity event must be organized, people must glue themselves to all sorts of shit, traffic must be stopped, and rocks and bricks must be thrown until giant jet engine towers are erected around the equator to STOP the slowing.

Because once it stops everyone on one side of the Earth will burn up, and on the other side they will freeze to death.
That's it ... let's all pay more taxes so politicians can speed the planet up!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well, reflecting on it I do agree that Greenwich Village is a really sad place these days. NYU expansion and most of their current student population has made it a very uninteresting place. I lived for 5 or so years staring in 2006 on West Broadway a few blocks south of Washington Sq Park in a large loft like apartment that my girlfriend at the time had a good deal on but I really don't know how much she was paying as I always avoided the subject.

One of my greatest personal degenerate successes dates back to that time actually. Their was this obnoxious club a few doors down from our place that drew a really horrid crowd and late one evening after picking up my girlfriend at the airport I was trying to park in front of our place and these two beefed up plucked eye brow north jersey types were standing in an open spot right in front of our place "holding" it for their brah who was circling the block or whatever, and rather aggro (likely roided-up and getting in my face) when I tried to reason with them. Anyways, I was too meek and tired to get into an altercation with these two belligerents having probably been berated the whole time by my ex-belligerent about well whatever she liked to bitch about so I dropped her off and parked elsewhere. Well, don't you know when I was about to enter our place I realized it was garbage day and saw a black bag sitting next to their tricked out Mazda or whatever and in the heat of the moment I ripped it open and dumped it all over their windshield. You can't belive the sort of stuff that was in there, dirty diapers, etc., it was like God was looking down on me and I hit the garbage jackpot for that particular moment! In hindsight typing this... I guess I really shouldn't be proud of this episode, and like to think I have grown since but well- whatever, that's just how the trash sometimes falls in NYC...
In 1990 I was shooting a matte shot plate in NYC for Greencard. On our last day we were heading to pick up our camera gear before heading to the airport. About two blocks from our destination a UPS truck in front of us pulled to a stop, wide enough to block the street. My cinematographer jumped out of the car to see if the driver would pull over a foot, which would allow us to get past the truck.
The driver said, "Fuck you buddy", grabbed a package and ran across the street, disappearing into the building. Our cinematographer is one of the most polite and pleasant people I've had the pleasure to meet, but before he got behind the camera he was a lighting director on Broadway and he reverted to savage New Yorker. He pulled a book of matches out of his pocket and disappeared into the truck. A few moment later he reappeared and beckoned us to follow him. We paid the taxi driver and headed to our destination. As we trotted along he told us that he had taken the cardboard match sticks and jammed them into the ignition key hole, packed it full, and used his pocket knife to cut away any protruding bits so that it was a flush solid pack.
As we were gathering up our gear we could hear the horns blaring on the street we had left and they continued as we drove away 45 minutes later.

Jan 27, 2020
In 1990 I was shooting a matte shot plate in NYC for Greencard. On our last day we were heading to pick up our camera gear before heading to the airport. About two blocks from our destination a UPS truck in front of us pulled to a stop, wide enough to block the street. My cinematographer jumped out of the car to see if the driver would pull over a foot, which would allow us to get past the truck.
The driver said, "Fuck you buddy", grabbed a package and ran across the street, disappearing into the building. Our cinematographer is one of the most polite and pleasant people I've had the pleasure to meet, but before he got behind the camera he was a lighting director on Broadway and he reverted to savage New Yorker. He pulled a book of matches out of his pocket and disappeared into the truck. A few moment later he reappeared and beckoned us to follow him. We paid the taxi driver and headed to our destination. As we trotted along he told us that he had taken the cardboard match sticks and jammed them into the ignition key hole, packed it full, and used his pocket knife to cut away any protruding bits so that it was a flush solid pack.
As we were gathering up our gear we could hear the horns blaring on the street we had left and they continued as we drove away 45 minutes later.

Wow, now that's hardcore. Sounds like a scene from Falling Down. I really enjoyed Greencard back on VHS btw., the scene where he has to play the piano at some party really stuck with me for some reason.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011

Is there some incarcerated person that needs to be freed? I need something for the back of my placard.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

It the Earth's rotation is slowing, wouldn't a "day" be longer?

Reactions: mawnansmiff

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Well that’s a fine philosophical discourse, but it really is the center of the world.
If NYC is the center of the world, then we are all swept up in a cyclonic suction, headed straight to the septic tank. Yeah, it's a cool place to live if you are exceedingly wealthy and also have a house in the mountains or in Monaco, otherwise, it sucks. And every New Yorker, down deep, knows it.

Good pizza, though.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have fond memories in the upper East Side ca. 1960 where I could get a slice for a quarter. Not too long after, it was 50 cents, then a buck, then.......Heavens knows!
Does anyone know the price of a slice?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Please consider "shorter" the full-word version of a typo.
I just assumed you had developed a sophisticated computer model with grant money that proved slowing rotation actually creates a shorter day.

Who am I to question the science?

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
If NYC is the center of the world, then we are all swept up in a cyclonic suction, headed straight to the septic tank. Yeah, it's a cool place to live if you are exceedingly wealthy and also have a house in the mountains or in Monaco, otherwise, it sucks. And every New Yorker, down deep, knows it.

Good pizza, though.
Well, yeah. I wasn’t speaking of the little people.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I lived on W 9th street back when the Village was a refined but fun area. A block from where an unfortunate WeatherPerson blew herself up, destroying a fine town house. RIP, Diana Oughton, (who grew up in the same town in Illinois as I did. I knew her as a smart ass beyaaach).
I saw that in a documentary on the Weather Underground.