PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Some people here certainly spend a lot of time expressing how they feel about not caring about something that might or might not be happening to a place that they don't like but likely never even visited because they heard from a neighbor or whoever how their hubcaps were stolen on a trip to that place in 1992.
Nope.
Lived on Governors Island in New York Harbor for three years. Just a short ferry ride across to Lower Manhatten near the Staten Island Ferry Terminal. That was from December 1985 through June 1989. I won't say everything about New York City sucked back then but it has definitely gone downhill since then.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Consider poor West Greenwich Village, with no skyscrapers at all. The hedge fund boys and other Wall Street tycoons have bought the place and refitted all the town houses into single family palaces with screening rooms and home gyms. Tourists go there to see musicians, painters, and literary people who moved out ten years ago and see Saudi oil men and venture capitalists. In an odd way, the neighborhood has gone to hell. Sunk is sunk.

Reactions: jpberg and jpmcwjr

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Some people here certainly spend a lot of time expressing how they feel about not caring about something that might or might not be happening to a place that they don't like but likely never even visited because they heard from a neighbor or whoever how their hubcaps were stolen on a trip to that place in 1992.
I've been there. I've worked there. I have friends that live there.
The sooner that island goes under, the better. Except that all those New Yorkers are going to have to do the proverbial rats and sinking ships routine, which means even more of them living in my neighborhood. So let's all have have a silent moment of prayer that NYC stays afloat.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Consider poor West Greenwich Village, with no skyscrapers at all. The hedge fund boys and other Wall Street tycoons have bought the place and refitted all the town houses into single family palaces with screening rooms and home gyms. Tourists go there to see musicians, painters, and literary people who moved out ten years ago and see Saudi oil men and venture capitalists. In an odd way, the neighborhood has gone to hell. Sunk is sunk.
I lived on W 9th street back when the Village was a refined but fun area. A block from where an unfortunate WeatherPerson blew herself up, destroying a fine town house. RIP, Diana Oughton, (who grew up in the same town in Illinois as I did. I knew her as a smart ass beyaaach).

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Meh.
Change is constant. Just because one romanticized slice in time has been immortalized by people who weren't even alive when that scene went down, doesn't mean it should stay a fairybook (see what i did there) wonderland of beat poets, junkie jazz-types, finger painters and esoteric book stores forever.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
My wife grew up on 77th street, between Park and Madison, and spent the first few years of her working life on 75th & Broadway.
Both neighborhoods have “changed” 3 or 4 times since we left, and currently, yeah, the city appears to be at a low point, but give it a few years, it will swing back around.
Like it or loathe it, it’s the greatest city on earth.

Jan 27, 2020
Like it or loathe it, it’s the greatest city on earth.

I am indifferent to it. People place too much emphasis of self based on a place. Either the places they "love" or the places they "hate". Having a sense of self, even partially based on where one lives, or is from etc., seems rather primitive to me and often results in some misguided discourse invented by such thinking.

• Love
Reactions: woodsroad

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have lived there. When I first pitched up in the 90s Times Square was a sh*t hole, the hookers were having sales and the whole place had the feel of a Raymond Chandler novel. Then that nice Mr. Bloomberg proceeded to turn Manhattan into a dystopian version of Disney Land for coked up bankers where the median price of a studio 'Roach Motel' started at $3000. Now it's reverting to type again and just like botox it proves that whatever you do to reverse aging you still wind up looking like Madonna after a two day alcohol binge! To put it another way as a Park Avenue cosmetic surgeon once commented when asked about the bags under the eyes of an overly stretch female customer....'Those are your breasts Madam!'.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
How did you manage that? Were you stationed there?
Yes. Going back as far as 1776, Governors Island was used as a military base. During the Civil War, the "castle" was used as a prisoner-of-war camp. The Army decommissioned the island in 1965 and transferred it to the Coast Guard. Governors island became the headquarters for the Coast Guard Atlantic Area and the Third Coast Guard District. It was also the location of several Coast Guard schools and served as the homeport of several different Coast Guard cutters.

I was stationed there from December 1985 until June 1989. The island was basically a Coast Guard city back then. There were about 4,000 people living on the island. We had churches, a bank, a movie theatre, three clubs, a commissary and exchange, bowling alley, Burger King (that sold beer) and an elementary school. We also had our own police and fire department. The first two years on the island we lived in an apartment building and our living room faced the Statue of Liberty.

The Coast Guard moved off the island around 1995.

Jan 27, 2020
Yes. Going back as far as 1776, Governors Island was used as a military base. During the Civil War, the "castle" was used as a prisoner-of-war camp. The Army decommissioned the island in 1965 and transferred it to the Coast Guard. Governors island became the headquarters for the Coast Guard Atlantic Area and the Third Coast Guard District. It was also the location of several Coast Guard schools and served as the homeport of several different Coast Guard cutters.

I was stationed there from December 1985 until June 1989. The island was basically a Coast Guard city back then. There were about 4,000 people living on the island. We had churches, a bank, a movie theatre, three clubs, a commissary and exchange, bowling alley, Burger King (that sold beer) and an elementary school. We also had our own police and fire department. The first two years on the island we lived in an apartment building and our living room faced the Statue of Liberty.

The Coast Guard moved off the island around 1995.

Interesting, I've been to Governors Island recently and toured the fort etc. although, I forgot most of what I learned. Actually, I live in an armory not far from the Navy Yard that was converted to apartments in the early 00s. Thankfully, my girlfriend had the common sense to stay put when she moved in many years ago as our place is rent stabilized, has a doorman, laundry etc...

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I am indifferent to it. People place too much emphasis of self based on a place. Either the places they "love" or the places they "hate". Having a sense of self, even partially based on where one lives, or is from etc., seems rather primitive to me and often results in some misguided discourse invented by such thinking.
Well that’s a fine philosophical discourse, but it really is the center of the world.

Reactions: woodsroad