PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
saying we were crazy for suggesting that they would do the same thing to us
Afraid so, yup. "If you give a mouse a cookie...." It's more than just Democrats too; the GOP's done exactly the same sorts of things when they had full control. Everybody's got an agenda these days; goes inherently with the political game. :(
Bill

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Now that the cheapskates have all put their local tobacconist out of business by buying online... I bet they feel a little panicky now.
Less about cheapskate, and more about availability. Not a big selection around here. Not panicky at all, my cellar will very likely outlive me.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The big guys will have to hire more phone operators. They could have their web sites, people call and place orders. It's how it was before e-commerce.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
This is not news.
It's also only the beginning.
Don't be surprised if soon, in order to keep your private health insurance and/or Medicare benefits, you have to sign that you will not (specifically) use any tobacco product. That's coming down the pipe as well.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I must have it good with my B&M. Nice lounge for smoking, bar, pipes. I walking in last Saturday and an order of Samuel Gawith hit the store. I picked up a bunch of tins for $2 more than online. That was a no-brainer.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I haven't read the entire Act but one part of it stuck out:
Requires the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to issue an annual report

to Congress on the domestic sales, advertising, and promotional activity of

cigarette, cigar, smokeless tobacco, and e-cigarette
There's no mention here of pipe tobacco. Have they forgotten us?
Unfortunately, no:
Extends FDA regulations on the sale, distribution, and use of cigarettes and smokeless tobacco to all deemed tobacco products, including cigarettes

xingpao

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2019
I have to wonder what banning "flavors" would do to the many flavored blends out there.

kwguy

Lurker
Nov 23, 2016
New Windsor, NY
I’m afraid it would mean an end to online pipe sales as pipes are considered a “tobacco product” by the FDA. If this bill ever came to pass you can pretty much forget about buying a high grade or artisan pipe ever again. Not too many B&Ms are willing or able to invest in pipe stock that may sit in a display case for months or years. Hopefully this dies in the Senate as it may make it through the House.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
A burning question I have is how would this affect instances of "sales" or trades on a platform such as ours? I mean, obviously the FDA cannot monitor all private messages and control the "trading" that could occur through outlets such as this one, right?

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
In Canada vapes are looked at as a quit smoking tool. We already have the crazy rules that are being suggested in the link provided. This is definitely not good news. Here it is $38 - $60 for a 1.75 oz tin...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I wonder how many kids are using their parents credit cards to purchase tobacco products online? Saying it is for the kids is the biggest lie of all.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
A burning question I have is how would this affect instances of "sales" or trades on a platform such as ours?
It probably won't matter...because if online sales go away, so will this forum more than likely.
Saying it is for the kids is the biggest lie of all.
Who will save the children from the control freaks? Nothing is more damaging to their well being and quality of life...both individually and collectively.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's not the only bill that seeks to end online sales. There's another one in congress that's going nowhere, and this will probably do the same. But eventually online sales will get banned. Sigh, we'll just have to visit our local B&M like we did before the Age of Cyberspace, assuming they haven't been starved out of existence by online competition.
As for all you hoarders waiting to make big bucks down the road, you're probably screwed. Dump it while you still can.
Support your B&M's and pipe shows.
It probably won't matter...because if online sales go away, so will this forum more than likely.
This forum? Absolutely. Online advertising pays for it. But, there are other fora that don't rely on advertising.

Status
Not open for further replies.