PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
LoL! "Cripple Tobacco Industry"

It might not be good for mail order outlets you'd think it would be a boon to B&M's. Here's another take from Halfwheel. 8O

https://halfwheel.com/house-bill-would-ban-online-cigar-sales-flavored-tobacco-products-increase-minimum-tobacco-purchasing-age-to-21/298061

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I can; what's the error, Cos'? Maybe try this way -- https://tobaccobusiness.com/new-proposed-bill-seeks-to-eliminate-online-tobacco-sales-cripple-tobacco-industry/?utm_campaign=1464368_Tobacco%20Business%20-%20April%2018%2C%202019&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Kretek%20Inc.&dm_i=2Y4M
Prohibits all characterizing flavors of tobacco products, including menthol
Ah, jeez, this is just too damn much. -growl-
Bill

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Only problem is I don't have enough money at this point to buy and stock a cellar full of all my wants and needs. I would love to cellar as deep as I wanted, but I just don't have the money for it. Hopefully I'll have the time to establish something worthwhile before something like this hits. Of course, I could always go to my B&M and buy it there afterwards to flush it out or buy new tobacco, but I always feel limited.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
you'd think it would be a boon to B&M's
Some of the prices I've seen in recent years, $30/100g tin, and in some areas $70+/bulk pound, has mostly kept me away from B&Ms.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
I get an error code when I click the link. Can you guys see the article in the OP?
It's opening fine for me. Using Firefox. Here's the opening paragraph, though...pretty much sums it up: Energy and Commerce Chairman Frank Pallone, Jr. (D-NJ) and Rep. Donna Shalala (D-FL) have introduced a new comprehensive piece of legislation aimed at address the sharp uptick in tobacco and e-cigarette use among America’s youth.
It for the KIIIDDDDSSSS...dolts

I can see it on my iPhone but not the computer. If a website (or page) registers itself as "tobacco" in some way, our city's free wifi web service blocks it. This is why I can see smokingpipes.com, but I can no longer ever use pipesandcigars. Yeh, it's censored, but it's free. :puffy:
Thanks for checking for me, guys.

I'll bet the cigar shop mafioso has some play into this also. This would be great for them. Why is it that all of the cigar shops I have been to has a guy with a neck tattoo, and looks like he got to watch the shop for his crime boss by killing an enemy? (rhetorical question) I know, I know... there's nothing wrong with neck tattoos... sorry, I don't mean to offend any fellow forum members that participate in organized crime. :puffy:

greatdane

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2018
Frank Pallone, Jr. (D-NJ) and Rep. Donna Shalala (D-FL) have introduced a new comprehensive piece of legislation
The usual suspects strikes again. It will probably go nowhere in the Senate but If the Democrats ever control both houses again it is likely game over for pipe smokers.
Make no mistake about it, if passed this would mean the end of nearly all pipe tobacco at B&Ms as well as online retailers. Online sales in the the US constitute an overwhelming majority of all pipe tobacco sold. Of this, aromatic tobacco is likely 90% of the total. If both are effectively ended, most manufacturers will have little profit motive to stay in the US pipe tobacco business.

Have they forgotten us?

No, pipesmokers compared to cigars is like NFL fans compared to freestyle frisbee fans. We just sort of get lumped in with everyone else's laws. We aren't even worth a category.
When we were talking FDA and comparing it to the crackdown on chewing tobacco, many kept saying we were crazy for suggesting that they would do the same thing to us... but here we go.
Now that the cheapskates have all put their local tobacconist out of business by buying online... I bet they feel a little panicky now.

At least the Briary carries a vast collection of tobaccos... all except anything carried by Laudsi.

Status
Not open for further replies.