PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
^^^^ This is the answer / explanation

Whether or not the resulting profile appeals to you is an individual thing. Creative-sculptural-"free form" pipes live on their own planet, and traditional shapes live on theirs. Where things get tricky is when changes are introduced on TraditionalPipeWorld...

HUGE props to Peterson in general for having the clangers to even go there. lol

From a technical standpoint there's a lot to like. MUCH more force would be required to snap one of those stems than a cut-tenon one, and the shanks look bulletproof. All of the benefits of a silver-capped Army design without the expense and fuss (and to some people, gaudiness) OF a cap, in other words.

It'll be interesting to see if it catches on. TraditionalPipeWorld's approach to change makes me think of those Bering Sea crab boat crews "welcoming" a greenhorn. rotf
I like the looks of the shape I collect and will probably buy one.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
To me, as long time smoker, the shanks are obviously larger and more substantial but the stems look sort of tenuosly placed rather than stronger.

The lack of 90-degree "step down to a tenon" is what makes such stems stronger.

The angle between the stem face and tenon is analogous to the deep scratch that's used to "cut" a sheet of glass. It's a "stress concentrator" thing.

Remove the angle and the resulting object is considerably stronger than a piece of the same material of the same diameter that HAS the angle.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

Whether or not the resulting profile appeals to you is an individual thing. Creative-sculptural-"free form" pipes live on their own planet, and traditional shapes live on theirs. Where things get tricky is when changes are introduced on TraditionalPipeWorld...

From a technical standpoint there's a lot to like. MUCH more force would be required to snap one of those stems than a cut-tenon one, and the shanks look bulletproof. All of the benefits of a silver-capped Army design without the expense and fuss (and to some people, gaudiness) OF a cap, in other words.

It'll be interesting to see if it catches on. TraditionalPipeWorld's approach to change makes me think of those Bering Sea crab boat crews "welcoming" a greenhorn. rotf
It has everything going for it except looks.

Aug 1, 2012
I have to applaud the daring step. The hard part for me is that it looks like a big soda cup with a little straw. It may work for some aesthetically but not me.

• Love
Reactions: Servant King

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
The lack of 90-degree "step down to a tenon" is what makes such stems stronger.

The angle between the stem face and tenon is analogous to the deep scratch that's used to "cut" a sheet of glass. It's a "stress concentrator" thing.

Remove the angle and the resulting object is considerably stronger than a piece of the same material of the same diameter that HAS the angle.
Which is important of you're a late night rambler...

My take, (for what it is worth as just like anyone else in this thread) is that Peterson is trying to come into the 21st century with a boatload of 19th century fans in tow. I'm not as much a fan of those classic bent shapes that they were still making, because to me they reminded me of handlebar moustaches and knickers. I know, I know, go to a pipe show and you see these guys, devout fans. But, obviously the Prince Albert reenactors weren't able to carry the company.

These are not the first military stems I've seen Peterson do. And, these are not the first brindled military stems I've seen. I actually have a GBD Dublin with one. But, from the Rua line (and their other very affordable spigots) and this one, I can tell Peterson is trying to come into the 21st century, and I applaud it.

While, I personally am not crazy about the bents, maybe the proportions, you have to understand that I am just not the biggest bent fan to begin with.

I think that the bowl coating is their next big hurdle, as I think they are making innovations in the aesthetics. But, i am assured that I will like these coatings... I am awaiting my new straight bulldog in this line, and I am anxious to try it for myself.

Look at the prices... great work pipes. I am not 100% assured of their bullet-proofness, but that is not a selling point for me anyways. I don't buy pipes to threshing about with. And, I have had military stems break in the past. But, like I said, no biggie to me. I just really liked the looks of that straight doggie here.

I can see those more traditional handlebar moustache guys not liking them as much. And, if someone only like some other style, then sure, you still don't like these. But, this will be my second Peterson in a matter of weeks. And, this one is priced at just the perfect enough to still have room to buy some sutliff bulk on sale and just be shy of free shipping. So, why bicker?

I guess that I am appreciating these efforts by Peterson, and I may not ever be a wide-eyed devout Peterhead fan that will defend them to the death. But, I am not a devout fan of anything. I keep an open mind and give praise where necessary, and criticism where I think necessary also. And, I like these... :::cough cough::: I mean, I like just the straight doggie. No need for me to say something about the bent ones, because I've already said my piece.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I agree with you for the most part Cosmic. I don't think it's any secret that I am a pretty big Peterson fan, however I can't ever be one of those devout type of fanboys who will defend their chosen brand to the death no matter the offense.

That being said, I too am very happy to see Peterson upping their game and moving forward into the 21st century with some of their newer offerings while still remaining faithful to their brand.

As per this particular line, I decided, at least for the moment, to pass. I recently purchased one of the Army Filter Heritage Mount Sandblasts and the Ragaire just looks too similar to me. Don't get me wrong, the fit & finish look phenomenal on the Ragaire and I like the cumberland stem, but I'd probably only purchase it in the 150 Straight Bulldog or the 80s Bent Bulldog shape. Being that I just purchased a 150 in the heritage army line, I just can't justify buying such a similar pipe to the other one that was just released.

While they are both attractive pipes, they are too similar in finish and that sir, is very bad strategic marketing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211119-181437_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211119-181437_Chrome.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20211119-181524_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211119-181524_Chrome.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: kcghost

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011

George, were you involved in these?