PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So a spigot has a metal cap on the shank and on the stem. An army mount has a metal cap on the shank. Is there a special name for a mount like this with no metal caps?

Para-military mount?

Militia-mount?
There's a couple of variants of that sort of mount, but the Ragaire line just looks standard fit with a tiny stem.

• Sad
Reactions: Casual
That sort of defeats the name and anecdotal purpose of a military fitting. Kind of like a spigot pipe with a capless tenon.
No offense Cap’n, but I just googled “army military mount tobacco pipe,” and a bunch popped up with no caps. My GBDs don’t have them, and I have a Savinelli straight billiard from the 70’s without a cap…. I have to admit, I made a cap for it though, but I accessorize like that, ha ha.
1637373526141.jpeg

But hey!! Maybe they’re trendsetting!

• Haha
Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
No offense Cap’n, but I just googled “army military mount tobacco pipe,” and a bunch popped up with no caps. My GBDs don’t have them, and I have a Savinelli straight billiard from the 70’s without a cap…. I have to admit, I made a cap for it though, but I accessorize like that, ha ha.
View attachment 109897

But they do have ferrules making them a pseudo military mount. I covered those in the video above. The Peterson is stem to briar with no ferrule or cap. Its just an unflush standard mount.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
View attachment 109897

Next thing you're going to tell me is that cuttys and zulus have canted bowls. Madness, madness I tell you!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore