PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
This is all I could find, the Moretti thread;

The morta thread is under the category Pipes: Show Us Your (fill in the blank) Pipes

Scroll 2/3rds of the way down the list of threads - you will come across "Show Us Your Mortas"

You should add your new Moretti to those 2 threads to build up a bigger album/data base

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Somewhat off topic, but does anyone know if morta can be carved as fine/elegant as briar? I think the material is prone to cracking hence all mortas I’ve seen look quite unbalanced and heavy to counteract this issue.
I’d love a 904 shape in morta but wonder if it is even feasible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laurent

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Somewhat off topic, but does anyone know if morta can be carved as fine/elegant as briar? I think the material is prone to cracking hence all mortas I’ve seen look quite unbalanced and heavy to counteract this issue.
I’d love a 904 shape in morta but wonder if it is even feasible.
I don't know why it couldn't be... It's wood. Mineralized oak to be specific. A little harder and will wear on tooling a bit more.

And FWIW, I treat my Morta pipes as I would any other hardwood pipe.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I don't know why it couldn't be... It's wood. Mineralized oak to be specific. A little harder and will wear on tooling a bit more.

And FWIW, I treat my Morta pipes as I would any other hardwood pipe.
Is it ok to use our Dunhill Silicone cloths to wipe them down, maybe not natural finish Morta pipes, but coated smooth ones like this one I have?

When my Dunhill cloth seems to be getting dried out, I gently spray it down with Silcone spray and wipe my Briar pipes.

1A633E6D-D6B3-43DC-9D36-07BF2C6ACD2F.jpeg

Reactions: Latakia Dave

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Is it ok to use our Dunhill Silicone cloths to wipe them down, maybe not natural finish Morta pipes, but coated smooth ones like this one I have?

When my Dunhill cloth seems to be getting dried out, I gently spray it down with Silcone spray and wipe my Briar pipes.

View attachment 118706
Not sure why you would need to, but it’s your pipe, so have at it.

Why not just apply wax as opposed to a solution of butane, heptane, propane, mineral spirits, ketones, and a trace amount of silicone?

The dinosaurs died out log before that wood ever grew so there’s no need to appease it with crude oil distillates. ?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
View attachment 118706
I use on on all my smooth pipes - briars, mortas and olive woods with good effect.

I use Halcyon wax or briar restoration balm on a pipe only if the surface is really dull.

Last edited:

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I do have Fine Pipes Paragon Wax, but ever since knowing about the Dunhill Cloths, I took this route of wiping pipes down with silicone, then later using the wax.

I’ve always taken this two step approach, Silicone then waxing when needed... hmm ?

I never really gave the chemicals any thought in the Silicone spray, but good points, thanks for sharing.

What about using 100% Silicone?

I saw this Silicone oil on Amazon... hmm ?

F80FB6C3-002C-4702-BDBD-21A04B81D165.jpeg

Reactions: Latakia Dave