PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I polished it up the other day with Paragon wax, really great stuff.

I also ordered some of their Halcyon II and polished my rusticated/blasted pipes.

Both really great wax! :)

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Somewhat off topic, but does anyone know if morta can be carved as fine/elegant as briar? I think the material is prone to cracking hence all mortas I’ve seen look quite unbalanced and heavy to counteract this issue.
I’d love a 904 shape in morta but wonder if it is even feasible.
I've been thinking about getting a block to carve, but the grain seems rather broad and coarse. I do wonder if it will hold detail. I plan on doing a Meerschaum pipe first, then a couple of briars, then maybe Morta, then back to Meerschaum.

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
Somewhat off topic, but does anyone know if morta can be carved as fine/elegant as briar? I think the material is prone to cracking hence all mortas I’ve seen look quite unbalanced and heavy to counteract this issue.
I’d love a 904 shape in morta but wonder if it is even feasible.
You do have to keep the walls thick, from cracking and they heat up more during smoking is my understanding. I just recently finished my first morta I made.1B0C8F72-F5BD-40C1-93BD-0D47C559B32E.jpeg

H

Hfinn

One day I suggested to Marco that he send me my Moretti pipes via regular mail, because I was in no particular hurry and wanted him to save on shipping, because at that time he only charged $18 for shipping, and Fedex services was much more expensive. To which he replied that delivery through the usual postal service could take several months, and insisted on using Fedex services.

Marco Biagini is a real gentleman and makes an extremely positive impression both as a person and as a craftsman and as a seller. If you notice he has a 100% percentage reputation on Ebay and this is from 2001.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@countmc yep Marco is great!

I just had my first smoke Friday night with the pipe, christening it with Esoterica Dunbar.

Wow this think smokes incredibly cool, not sure a thick walled pipe like this will ever get hot.

What a great smoking pipe, can’t wait to try various blends in it. When you look at the size of my other pipes, not sure anything will smoke as cool as this one.

marlow-se

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2022
Sweden
I have two Morettis, one that I bought about ten years ago and a morta I bought late last year. My first morta. Both smoke beautifully and it only adds to the charm of the pipes knowing what a great personality is behind them.

moretti.jpg

• Love
Reactions: PipeIT and OzPiper

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Morta is heavy, but with a relative short stem, that one won't leverage against your teeth as much as a pipe with a longer stem. That's a good design for morta. I like its solid look.

Reactions: PipeIT

Sidehatch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2022
Colorado
im really digging the look of these moretti morta pipes. PAD is flaring. It appears Around 200-250 is the going rate for one of these?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
im really digging the look of these moretti morta pipes. PAD is flaring. It appears Around 200-250 is the going rate for one of these?
$250 tops for a Moretti morta.
He has an EBay site - auction as well as "buy at this price"
If nothing takes your fancy, contact Marco. He is one of those "nothing is too much trouble" kind of guys.
Also site sponsor LePipe.it has a good selection of Moretti pipes (morta and briar)

Sidehatch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2022
Colorado
$250 tops for a Moretti morta.
He has an EBay site - auction as well as "buy at this price"
If nothing takes your fancy, contact Marco. He is one of those "nothing is too much trouble" kind of guys.
Also site sponsor LePipe.it has a good selection of Moretti pipes (morta and briar)
Much obliged. Thanks.

Reactions: OzPiper

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Marco is so chill! :col:

I forgot about this post, that I would come back later and give a smoke review. I just saw a few minutes ago the alerts in the upper right and Ettrick gave a like here, so here I am! LOL

What I can tell is, go look out how beef/thick this pipe is, compared to my others.

It’s a very cool smoker, and no odd morta tastes, quite simply, it’s an amazing smoker, and I’ve seen so many positive comments on Morta too.

So I can’t comment on a smaller thin morta pipe, if there is something about it, still smoking cooler than briar of the same size, I just know this beast is.