PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kozlee

Lurker
Mar 1, 2012
Hi everyone. My name is Brian and I’m a noob to all this. 

I tried my first pipe at age 30 and quit due to frustration. I’m 40 now, and picked it up again recently when I was out of cigars. I had a great smoke so I’m trying to make it a regular hobby.
  However, the good smokes I have are outweighed by the frustrating ones.
  I’m still learning as much as I can, but wish there were a club here in Dallas so I could pick up pointers from someone experienced.
  Pipe smoking is an art that must be learned and passed down.  That’s part of the enjoyment, but also part of the frustration.  
Things I like about it:
Great smell
The relaxing effects of both the smoke and the act of smoking
Affordable -

kozlee

Lurker
Mar 1, 2012
Well I guess the second part of my post got cut off. Serves me right for trying to do this from a "smart" phone. Here's the rest:
You don’t reek afterwards (as in cigars)

Doesn’t irritate the eyes (again, cigars)

Those around you enjoy the smell instead of being repulsed

Connection to hundreds of years of our ancestors who did the same thing

The rhythm you get in to when you get a bowl burning properly

Can put it out and relight without it tasting like roadkil
Things I don’t like about it:

The learning curve.

I’m still learning/experimenting with packing, lighting, drawing after several weeks of trying

Relighting..relighting…relightling…relighting…religting…relighting…relighting…etc. etc. etc.

Tongue bite (have only had this once, thank god)

Jaw fatigue

Wondering if I am doing it right

Doesn’t have the same satisfying feel of a cigar in your mouth

Doesn’t provide the sheer volume of smoke a cigar provides.

When in company of my cigar pals on the block, I feel pretentious, like I'm trying to be a hipster or something

stravinsky77

Lurker
Mar 3, 2012
Hi! Jim from Indiana here. Musician, avid reader and occasional pipe smoker. I enjoy a nice Kentucky Bourbon or a glass of dry red wine and a pipe on the back deck or front porch. I've enjoyed visiting your website.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Welcome folks
Kozlee - don't give up. The dislikes will work themselves out. Although you should tell your cigar buddies who think you're a hipster to pound sand!

kozlee

Lurker
Mar 1, 2012
Hey thanks Adam12. I'm getting the hang of it. Smoked a bowl tonight with zero relights. Monumental.

wizbang

Might Stick Around
Mar 4, 2011
Adam is right! It is tricky to start, but is so rewarding when you learn how to smoke properly!

beaterman

Lurker
Mar 5, 2012
Greetings all!
I recently became interested ( ok,sort of obsessed!) with pipe smoking. Found this website and was greatly pleased with all of the knowledge and helpfulness of the members. I have been an avid cigar smoker for years, and will most likely remain so, just adding one more obsessive hobby to spend all my money on! Thanks for letting me join, I look forward to learning a great deal and, of course, relaxing with a fine pipe.

arabpipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2012
Hi all Pipe Smokers

This is Wasim from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

37y old, Married with 2 kids.
Yah i am new in Pipe world just 36 days smoking pipe converting from Hookah+Cigar and Medwakh smoking.
Love to share my 1st Briar Pipe unboxing today from CupOJoes Website. at : http://youtu.be/X4UFGXuWkvs.
That's for now folks

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Hi all, Romeo S, Romanian transplant to Anchorage AK. 34. Reformed cig smoker, quit them when they started putting all the chems in them and they tasted funny and tobacco use turned into addiction. Picked up the pipe in Dec 2010. Habit turned into hobby....

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
hi all, I am a new pipe smoker from australia just starting out with a cob and 2 tins. I have been enjoying reading this forum for a while, some great info here. enjoying this hobby very much and look forward to participating.

kmreleaser

Lurker
Mar 8, 2012
Hey every body. I am Kareem. I an Egyptian that lives in Germany. Like many people, I found Pipe to be the missing ingredient that I have always been looking for to be able to happily stop smoking cigarettes. Luckily, after quitting cigarettes, I didn't turn into an ass that doesn't stop fussing about " Bad people that smoke cigarettes", I still respect ever body and I might even be smoking a cigaret once in a while.
Since I am a film maker I wanted to make a little video about pipe making. Nothing special, but I would still like to share it with you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzCkRAx5rPU
Cheers and happy smoke. :)

edlogic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2012
jacksonville florida
i smoked analog cigs for over 35 years - tried to quit many times - tried chewing tobacco and was able to quit smoking cigs a couple of times once for a year but when i got tired of the messy chew i always went back to analog cigs . about 10 years ago i stopped using the ready rolls and started smoking top and buglar roll your owns until i was so sick of it - i finally tried electronic cigs a couple of years ago .
from the first time i tried ecigs i never smoked another analog cigarette and never looked back . but then i experienced adverse reactions from the ecigs - both the propylene glycol and the glycerin caused me to feel bad and have panic attack type symptoms - so i stopped that after only a few months - so i still wanted the nicotine so i tried vaporizing the tobacco - and that was swell for a while - it only takes a small amount of tobacco to get plenty of nicotine when you vaporize it instead of burn it - so using the vaporizer detached me from the habit of puffing a cig ( analog or electronic ) all the time -

i got tired of the vaporizer and still liked the smell of tobacco so
i picked up a cheap pipe and had a hard time for the first several months but the last several months i am able to enjoy it more due to all the practice and studying .
i am only smoking capt black / half and half / prince albert so far
the first cheap drug store pipe i tried ( uses a filter ) turned out to be terrible

after i got another cheap one ( no name ) $ 35 at a local tobacconist i never even considered trying the first one again . that is the one currently on my avatar - a billiard
i found this forum while looking for a new pipe - i was looking on p & c and found a Graco SAFARI Billiard - could not find much about Graco but a blurb on pipedia about them being a french co that went out of biz in 1968
then i started looking at the GBD AUTUMN GOLD 943810 Rhodesian and the GBD CHANNEL 9438 Rhodesian
at first the only styles that i liked were billiards but only after i purchased the Graco Safari, i started liking the looks of the rhodesians - the Safari is about a week away from delivery
while looking for info about the rhodesians i landed here for embarkation
private lightsalot reporting for puffage training
oh yeah - i was in the army and the navy - anyone at fort jackson sc or orlando ntc in 1975 / 1976 ? or in vp 45 p3c squadron in jacksonville florida 1977 ?
p s - a few times i saw PAD this and PAD that -

here is a wild guess

pipe acquisition disorder ?

xxxbaileyxxx

Lurker
Mar 9, 2012
Hi all. New here so unsure what to say. My hubby recently took up the pipe again after several years away. I thought it would be horrid but the smell was pleasant and I had a try myself. His pipe was too large and long a smoke for me so I bought myself a baby bent today and I must say it is very relaxing. I am hoping as well it will get me off the cigs forever. Swap one evil for another eh

xxxbaileyxxx

Lurker
Mar 9, 2012
Argh just realized that wasn't really an introduction was it? Well I will start again. I am Katrina from England 33 years and as I said above its my fella's fault I am now enjoying a pipe

tennesseejed

Lurker
Mar 9, 2012
Good to be here. Very interesting site. Names Jake, living in Knoxville,Tn. It's good be around some folks who know so much.

edlogic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2012
jacksonville florida
@kozlee
When in company of my cigar pals on the block, I feel pretentious, like I'm trying to be a hipster or something
that is because you don't realize that you have already acquired a hipster personification - purely by the fact that they can no longer JUST be your cigar pals - you have forced them to chance the danger of everyone else being tempted to convert over, one by one
so of course, in the back of the cigar shaped pleasure center of their mind, they are going to begin to ostracize you because you think you are so cool with your cool pipe and your concerted attitude ...
yeah - they will hate you for it but

you don't need them anyway - you know what i mean
just tell them it's hopstar not hipster - those cigar guys will believe anything
ahahhaa

edlogic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2012
jacksonville florida
Good to be here. Very interesting site. Names Jake, living in Knoxville,Tn. It's good be around some folks who know so much.
well - some of us think we know more than we should and we are not too happy about it either
welcome Names

i think that is the first time i ever heard of anyone with the last name Jake
i wanted to name my first son jedidiah but my wife didn't like the clampetts or buddy ebsen i guess -

didn't have any luck with naming any of the four girls or the other two boys that either
but i did sneak a jr a conrad and a carson in there ... then we had the three boys ( just kidding )
too late to have another named Names - though it is a pretty cool pondering object to suspend amidst many dancing capt black smoke molecules for a minute or two

onyrmarx

Lurker
Mar 11, 2012
I joined to share how much I've enjoyed my Missouri Meerschaum corn cob with Shortcut to Mushrooms.
I'm primarily a cigar smoker. Ex wife used to own a tobacco shop. Never been much of a smoker of anything. But thru her 25 -30 years ago got into both cigars and pipes.

Recently got back to cigars (nice thing about cigars v. cigarettes, you don't seem to get addicted; I've gone months if not years between cigars).
I converted a wine cooler to a humidor that is now fully stocked with cigars, but I like to smoke indoors from time to time, and my air cleaner cannot handle cigar smoke. Anyway I've found that a pipe does not foul the air or the air cleaner and presents its own enjoyment. I was, frankly, blown away at how much I enjoyed the Dunhill Standard Mixture, and the Shortcut to Mushrooms.
After I ordered the tobacco I discovered my two remaining pipes, an old Calabash and a Meerschaum had broken stems, so I ordered half a dozen MM 'Gentleman' corncobs in bent and straight. Great combination! Glad to be back

Status
Not open for further replies.