PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
There are a LOT of new members lately! Holy Cow.
Welcome one and all.
BEAUTIFUL PICTURES Chris from Winnipeg! I look forward to more posts from YOU and more of those nice pictures!
Sounds like we have some really talented new members who we can learn a lot from.
Comment away guys n gals!

briarpipeboiler

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2012
Louisville
That's better...
Hello all.
Joe from Louisville KY via East Central IN. Was actually born in Buffalo NY but grew up an IN kid. Moved to L'Ville in 00 starting my new career fresh out of West Lafayette and love it here.
Started smoking pipes in 2008 and did so for about a year then put them away.
Back into it now and I am a big fan of tronz dork-boarding so I thought I'd join a pipe forum for all my questions and to get current.
Only have two pipes, both bought in 2008; Bjarne Freehand and a Sevanelli Hercules 619EX but I plan to buy at least three more very soon (and probably many more in the future). Here's some pics;
2.jpg

7-1.jpg

1.jpg

7.jpg

See ya around!

xjlee13x

Lurker
Feb 22, 2012
New to the club stoping in to say hello to all. Im 30 from troy missouri. Anyone make it to the st charles missouri pipe show on the 18th. It was a great time. Bought some nice pipes and my wife even won the door prize i did not even get a chance to sign up since i was running around like a kid in a candy store. She won me 6 tins and 2 bundles of pipe cleaners. It was my first show but not my last.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Congrats on the door prize and welcome to the forums.
I've yet to attend a pipe show. Still waiting for one to come close to San Antonio lol.

alonso2

Lurker
Feb 20, 2012
HI.

I am new to the site. I am Welsh and a pipe smoker of many years. Don't seem to be able to load a photoe as an avatar,but maybe I'll learn how eventually.

ulteriorzaiak

Lurker
Feb 12, 2012
Hi everyone!
My name is Thomas. I don't know all that much about our hobby, but it's something that I'm having a ball learning about and exploring. If I seem quiet on the site at times, it's more to do with not having anything constructive to add than a lack of care. Oh, and this was the blend I smoked on IPSD this year [thanks to my buddy Terry who gave this to me for Christmas]:
E8F3DD33-6627-49E4-9C63-796EE07D233F.JPG

craigers07

Lurker
Feb 22, 2012
Hello everyone, I just joined and have been lurking a little while. I’m new to pipe smoking and came here in search of info on pipes and tobacco. I’m starting out with some Prince Albert and will be looking to add some more varieties soon. So far I’ve learned a lot and look forward to getting to know more people. Now, I’ll just have to get a picture up with a pipe in my mouth. Thank you for the warm welcome.

kakis

Lurker
Feb 26, 2012
Hi everyone! This is just a quick hello from another new member. I live in Nicosia, Cyprus, where I have resided for over 8 years now. I've been smoking pipe for over 20 years, almost exclusively "English mixtures" (which are hardly English anymore and difficult to get in the UK!) -- My Mixture 965 has been a constant favorite, but I've tried lots of other blends as well. The stronger, the more Latakia, the better!
The pipe-smoking situation here is pretty abysmal: poor selection of pipes to buy, hardly any tobacco to speak of, and all the rest that comes with it. There certainly is a lack of serious tobacconists. If you're from Cyprus, please do drop me a line. Perhaps we could form a semi-organized lobby to change things in the future -- or just get together, exchange experiences, smoke some good pipes, and have a glass of wine or two.
Looking forward to hear from anyone and anywhere!
Best, K

brownbilliard

Might Stick Around
Feb 27, 2012
Hi Everyone,
Just started smoking a pipe a few months ago. Upon my first puff of burley, I realized I had fallen down the rabbit hole and that my life would never be the same again. It's a pleasure to be part of such a vast and dedicated group of people who share the same passion.
I recently moved to Boston, where I've had the luxury of being a short distance from L.J. Peretti's shop. The very first blends I ever smoked were their BPC and Boston's Best Cavendish. Since then I have tried their 333, 432, Ebony, Cuban Mix, Royal Blend, Tashkent, Omega and Park Square. Its amazing how delicious, complex and distinct these blends are from one another. Recently, I have ventured into more foreign territory by sampling Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake, Peterson's University Flake and the Escudo Navy Deluxe. Wow, what a roller coaster ride on the pipe tobacco spectrum! I'm hoping some of you can direct me to even more exciting and exotic blends.
Also, since I'm a newbie I have limited myself to a cheap briar ($20 - gargle/clog city) and a Missouri Meerschaum. Could any of you recommend a decent briar in the $50-$100 range? I can't imagine buying one for more than that right now. Looking forward to conversing with you all in the near future,
-Brownbilliard

kakis

Lurker
Feb 26, 2012
Well, brown billiard, the shop you mentioned has a nice website (http://ljperetti.com/pipes.html). Looks to me that these estate pipes (= used but cleaned and fully prepared for more smokes) are a great deal and in your price range:
http://ljperetti.com/pipes/Estate%20Pipes/GB/Bruyere.jpg

http://ljperetti.com/pipes/Estate%20Pipes/CP/Ben-Wade.jpg
L.J. Peretti's own pipes look good value too, such as these:
http://ljperetti.com/pipes/Peretti/abowl.jpg

http://ljperetti.com/pipes/Peretti/vintage.jpg
In the end it's up to you, which style(s) you might be most comfortable with, what kind of finish you like, and so on.
Best, K

dcglendinning

Lurker
Feb 25, 2012
David from PA here. Started smoking pipes about 30 years ago and am just returning after a long absence (I think the new "fire-safe" cigarettes were the thing that finally pushed me back over the fence). I don't have a pipe collection to speak of at the moment; currently I have a few of the brown wood pipes made by Missouri Meerschaum and an inexpensive briar. I had many more when I was younger, but life took their toll on them.

My choice of tobaccos has changed considerably over the years; at first I went for the aromatic blends. When they got too cloying, I went to the other end of the spectrum with Dunhill 965 and Nightcap. These days I'm still into non-aromatics; what I'm smoking now is a jar blend called "Prime English." Pretty good for most of the day... but a little heavy for first thing in the day. (Coming off cigs like I am means that I like to get an early start on my daily doses of Vitamin N - a lighter version of what I'm smoking now would be nice for those times.)

I can tell that I've finally matured enough - these days if I'm having a cigarette at work on a 5-minute break I'm really craving a bowl instead. Used to be the other way round.
Really great site here... stumbled upon it quite by accident and I'm learning stuff already.

mctrav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2012
Long Island
Hello all, Mike here from Long Island, NY. Glad i could find a site as helpful as this has been. All seem knowledgeable and kind here. Its tough being one of a few on the island that enjoys something other than cheap cigarettes or dull cigars.

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
Hi everyone. I'm Steve, 44, from Oregon and have come back to the pipe about two years ago. LOVE the pipe. Just thinking of all those years (and bowls) I didn't smoke pipe makes me a little teary eyed (or maybe it's just smoke in my eyes).

flatbushpaul

Lurker
Feb 28, 2012
Hello to All,

I am a Brooklyn boy transplanted to New Jersey. I grew up in Brooklyn and moved to NJ about 8 years ago.

I had been smoking a pipe on and off for many years but took it up full time several years ago. I enjoy mostly Va's & VaPer's but am smoking other stuff as well. My fav is FVF but am really enjoying sdome vaPer's like Telegraph Hill & St James Flake lately. I am really into McClelland's Anniversary 2002 as well. My favorite pipe right now is an Altinok Ornamented pear that I purchased recently. I also love my Davorin Morta pipes of which I have two right now. I look forward to continue to learn about this great hobby.
By the way, is there a secret to useing a signature on your posts? I also found that the buttons on top of the reply pane do not work. I can't use the bold, italic or any of the other buttons. What gives?
Happy Smoking,

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.