PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greffelstejn

Lurker
Dec 26, 2011
I would not do without all my pipes and all the different tobacco varieties, we can buy here in Denmark. I am in Esbjerg Pipe Guild, and we meet once a month to once a good smoke and tobacco tasting. It's wonderful to have such a good and satisfying hobby.

dukepipe

Lurker
Jan 8, 2012
Hey all, I am Matt and I currently live in NC though I am originally from and always will be a Virginian. I have sporadically smoked pipes the past few years, but have been much more of a regular since my wife bought be a new pipe for Christmas (I have an awesome wife). I am a full time student at Duke University where I study theology-which incidentally goes very well with smoking a pipe. Looking forward to gleaning as much knowledge as I can from everyone on the site.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Hi there Matt, Joes, brian, Greffelstejn and above all another fellow Texan, Rick !
Welcome to the forum, never hesitate to ask a question. Enjoy the ride ;-)

barling

Lurker
Jan 9, 2012
Northern California
Glad to be here. I was an avid pipe smoker in the 1990's, then went to cigars, then quit everything. Started smoking cigars again, and recently got my first new pipe in over a decade, and remembered why I was so hooked on pipes before. I love the old briars with a passion. Old Barlings, Dunhills, Castello, Caminetto, and nearly any high grade Dutch or Italian. Actually, I just go for the smoking qualities. I bought an unmarked billiard with an amazing grain out of the display window at Grant's Pipe Shop in San Francisco that smokes like a dream. I will lurk the auctions for those old briars with nasty stems just so I can get the briar. I only smoke non-aromatic blends, and prefer good English blends with a dose of Latakia and Perique to kick it up a notch. I just bought a lot of 40 pipes on eBay that will keep me busy for a while.
Pipes relax me...

eddy

Lurker
Jan 9, 2012
AZ
Hello,
I've been learning to smoke since last Feb. and am just now getting it down so I can actually enjoy it. My collection includes some Dr. Grabows, a Peterson 317, Cobs, Carey Magic Inch, Dunhill from the 60s and a Calabash. Just received a Jesper freehand for Christmas, which is quite fun. Cut my teeth on Wilshire, Galleria Vanilla (not good) and PA. Now I have begun to build a cellar and am proud to have a tin of Penzance for the later years. I am just now exploring Englishesque blends and developing my palate.

I stumbled onto this site awhile ago when I was searching out tips. My early experiences were quite disastrous- I'd use up a whole box of matches and end up with a burnt tongue and a fairly full bowl of charred tobacco. The pipe came pretty close to being chucked in the dumpster several times.

Hopefully, now I have some experience and can contribute to the group here- however small.
Thanks. I look forward to getting to know you all and helping others, as I can.

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
Been lurking for awhile now. And been smoking for maybe collectively a year. In my setting up my account, they asked when I first started smoking a pipe, well, I couldn't really recall. But I do know I started smoking my pipe seriously about last year. The pipe itself I bought ten years ago in my early twenties (am 30ish now).
I started back up again, this month to try and combat my cigarette habit. It's mostly working, and I only smoke cigarettes in the morning, and in the evenings with my wife. She doesn't dislike the pipe per say, but she isn't enthralled with it like I am. She too wants to drop the cigarettes, but that takes time.
My time with my pipe is as work, as my boss smoke cigarettes he doesn't mind the pipe. And smoking the pipe through out the day is better than a inhaling a pack of cigarettes and cheaper too. Hope to spend much time here.

cesconable

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Virginia
Hello everyone,
My name is Chuck and I hail from the state of Pennsylvania; I'm living in Maryland at the moment due to my job but will soon be going back to the home of America's Oldest Brewery. Good ol' Pottsville, PA.
On Christmas 2010 I served my last day in the Active Army after an almost 6 year stint (stoplossed). During that time I deployed to Iraq twice, the first time as part of the Surge. I spent a total of 2.5 years in Iraq on deployment. I left with an honorable discharge as a Sergeant.
My first pipe smoking experience was actually in the Army when I was stationed out in Arizona. One of my buddies had a pouch of Velvet and a beautiful (brand escapes me) 3/4 bent pipe. I truly enjoyed the experience.
I haven't smoked a pipe since..and from what I can recall noone in my family was known to smoke one either. My Grandfather and Uncle both smoked Cigars heavily...but I've never been fond of them. I have had Cubans before (in Iraq) and enjoyed it but wouldn't be pressed to smoke one again outside of social means.
Currently I am looking to own my first pipe(s). I have been smitten over several brands and models. Mostly bent, smooth, egg, apple, and billiard shapes. I'm not a fan of the rustic, sandblasted pipes. Straight pipes don't strike my fancy too much either.
I feel I've already spoiled my mindset though. After seeing Jefferson Davis's Eagle / Egg pipe I want nothing less. I plan on picking up the Meershaum version as soon as humanly possible.
I smoke cigarettes but want to migrate towards pipe smoking. If not for the improved aroma and relaxing qualities than to kick the negative stigma that comes with smoking cigarettes. I feel it's time to get classier. Cigarettes just don't do it for me anymore. It feels more of a chore than anything...a chore I can't seem to put down.
I'm looking forward to participating in the threads on this board, meeting new people, and beginning my new hobby.

monstermash51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 13, 2012
Hey everybody, I'm a college student majoring in Business Management. I recently started pipe smoking because I heard it was relaxing and i need to escape the stress of classes. I really enjoy it and I joined because I thought it'd be a good idea to learn somethings.

cesconable

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Virginia
Welcome to the new folks and thanks for being so receptive of me so far. I've already made quite a few friends in the short time I was here. Thanks!

plumbernater

Lurker
Jan 13, 2012
Hello from Alabama, Been smoking a pipe a little over 2 years now. Thought I would check yall out. Was told this was a cool place.

nwgibson85

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Hello from central Illinois. Been smoking a pipe for nine days... I realize that I am complete newbie, but seriously love my ( http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=W&srch=DW&item=jobbu335 ) new pipe. I smoked it far to hot on my first night. Since then I have done a fair bit of reading, and am able to smoke a cool bowl now. Packing was my main issue, and the fact that I started with an aromatic tobacco as well.
26 years old, nursing student. The idea of carving my own pipe has completely seduced me. I have worked with ceramics for 8 years now, and while I am still very much an amateur I will be attempting some porcelain pipe making as well.
I love to learn, and will gladly take any advice. Glad to have this forum for the wealth of knowledge and experience. Thanks for the warm invitation so far!!

superbob

Lurker
Mar 26, 2011
Victoria, Canada
Hello! Bob from Victoria, Canada checking in. You may know me from other forums with the same username. I've been pipe smoking for over a year now. Big time fan of Latakia blends and some sweet vapers. Pipe interest include Stanwells and classic shapes.
I am a beginner pipe carver which means I've wasted more briar than I've made pipes! I'll share a few pics here and there.
Ok let's get started with the mayhem!
Bob

therealdone

Lurker
Jan 16, 2012
Hey there, couple of my company mates and I are trying to kickstart the ol' smoking culture at the Naval Academy. Just started ourselves so we figured we could use some extra info and where better to come then the biggest forum we've found yet.
Pleasure to be here.
Non sibi, sed patraie

Status
Not open for further replies.