PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Welcome aboard guys!

Trout, you do have a dream job for sure! It's nice to see another Georgian on the site.

Radio807, Nice to see another Ham on here. 73's from W4MMS!

smokin10smitty

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2011
Indiana
Hey all,
I'm proud to say this is my first post ever on ANY pipe-related forum. I'm a "noob" in about every sense of the word: I'll be 21 in 5 days and I've only been enjoying my pipe (yes, singular :( ) for about 4 months. I fell in love with cigars about 3 weeks after I turned 18 and this summer I decided to invest in a pipe to see how I liked it...well I love it! Within the past few weeks I've been reading and reading and reading everything I can about pipes and tobacco. Wow do I feel silly for thinking my beat up KayWoodie Saxon and my pouch of Captain Black are the greatest thing around. When I'm not falling deeper in love with pipe-smoking I'm going to school, working at a hotel and playing my guitar.
Please point me in the right direction with pipes and tobacco!
Alex

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Welcome aboard, Alex! I'm glad you've taken well to the hobby. One thing I can suggest is that you think about buying a few cobs, they're inexpensive, and an easy way to make sure you don't over-work a pipe by smoking the same one each day. For tobacco, you should seriously think about giving Carter Hall, and Sir Walter Raliegh Aromatic a try. Both are usually easy to find, and about the same price as Captain Black. I'm sure that you've probably looked at some of the major e-tailers websites, and see that there is a huge amount of fine blends out there to choose from, and trying new things is part of what makes this hobby so enjoyable. Happy puffing, my friend!

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Thanx for the welcome Mark. When I first saw your screen name I thought it looked suspiciously like there was a call sign embedded in there, so I did a qrz.com search and confirmed it.

Jim

W2BVM

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Welcome all. I have found this is a great place both to hang out and to learn.
@ Alex You'll get more advice about what pipes and tobacco to buy than you ever wanted. :)

@ Jim Welcome from a new ham. Philip KF7STS
And thanks to all the new members who are taking the effort to post an avatar in the forums. If you are new to forums (as I am) it takes a little effort to figure things out, but it is worth it.
I hope you all enjoy your time here.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Ahoy all,
name's Mike, recently got re-interested in pipe smoking after being a quitter for a few years and realizing I can't afford good cigars.
I smoked a good old Dr Grabow Grand Duke for quite a while and it never did me wrong. I've recently upgraded (I think it's an upgrade anyway) to a more massive, and better crafted briar pipe I ordered from the Ukraine (if you're at all into pipes I'm sure you've seen them around Amazon and Ebay, but if you haven't, you can see them here: http://stores.ebay.com/The-best-GIFTS-from-UKRAINE?_trksid=p4340.l2563 )
Here's an image of the one I just got in the mail today (sorry for the big picture):
ukrainian-stander-pipe1.jpg

I'll be posting a bit more about my first experiences with it in another thread, but thanks for putting the site together, whomever is responsible, and see you all in the message board.

vroomfondel

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2011
Zurich
Hello everyone
After lurking on the site for quite some time, I finally wanted to officially introduce myself. My name is Marcus, I live in Zurich, am in my 30s and am a very recent convert to pipe smoking. I used to smoke cigars and still smoke cigarettes (damn things), yet I am in the process of quitting the latter. I had my first pipe in the beginning of this year with my Danish neighbor and felt right at home with the whole ritual and the pipe smoking community.
Since then I have spent way too much money on pipes and tobaccos and even started making my own pipes. We (my neighbor and I) even built us a little workshop at his place, the perfect man-cave for drinking beer, smoking pipes and using power tools :)
I have a great appreciation for Peterson pipes (most of my little collection are Petes)and smoke almost exclusively Virginia and Vaper flakes at the moment. Here's a link of my collection so far.
Very well, I guess that's it for the moment. I am very much looking forward to spending some time with you guys and wish everyone happy puffing!

jerome

Lurker
Dec 3, 2011
Hi y'all!

My name is Justin and I just recently tried pipe smoking. My great grandfather was a pipe smoker and I always admired his pipes and the smell of his pipes when he smoked them in his lazy chair. So about two weeks ago a picked up my first pipe, a "Q-Brand" (tried to look up some information on that brand and couldn't find anything), and some tobacco, Mac Baren Cake Blend. I have been really enjoying it and already thinking about getting my second one (maybe a Savinelli Trevi). Well that is my short intro...can't wait to get into the world of pipe smoking!

-Justin

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome, Nubbiniz, Misternoah, Ylikowski, Leonard, Jim, Alex, Mike Marcus & Justin! Looking forward to your posts!
-Jason

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Alright then, here's a couple of lines about this new member.
An avid cigarette smoker for a little over 30 years, I decided to go back to pipe smoking. I dabbled a bit with it back in college, so it's slow getting back into things. I picked up a couple of cheaper pipes about a good year ago and started playing around to see if i could stick with it. One of those two cheap pipes has a marking "Czech" and that's about it. The other, nothing whatsoever. But after a good year or so, I decided I could stick with this.
So about a month ago, while on a little weekend outing, my wife actually walked into a local B&M with me and actually purchased me a nice Peterson. And what a difference in experience ! So now I guess I've caught the bug and am slowly expanding my collection. Picked up since then:

* BC Calabash Star B, smooth ($65)

* Stanwell Deluxe, Billiard, Rusticated ($50)
Final two additions I'm considering are a Savinelli prince or author), a Chacom Champs Elysees (bent apple or prince) and perhaps one more Peterson. That should give me a nice 7-8 pipe collection, evenly spread out over Englishes and Aromatics, with ample room to rotate.
Besides that, I'm originally from Belgium so enjoy a good glass of beer, spent time in Scotland and Ireland, so enjoy any good scotch, Irish whiskey or even Bourbon. Oh, and I'm a foodie too, so a nice dinner with family and friends is in my opinion never a waste of time.
Look forward to interacting here and appreciate any feedback, especially on the Chacom pipe.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Welcome aboard, Mluyckx! It looks like you've got a nice start to your collection. I think you'd do good with the Chacom and Savinelli as well. Looking forward to reading your future posts. Happy puffing!

sideache

Lurker
Dec 6, 2011
SoCal
Hello all, Cliff Cramp is my name. I have many estate pipe and can't really narrow my collection down to a favorite pipe. It often depends on my mood I guess. I'm an illustrator in the entertainment industry. I'm also a professor at CSUF where I coordinate the illustration program. I've been drawing for a living for a looong time. I live in SoCal. Been married for 27 years and have two boys - 9 and 11.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Hello Cliff ! Wonderful artwork on your site. Makes me think of the Boris Vallejo cards that covered my wall in middle school. Also reminds me a bit of another west coast artist and a personal friend of mine www.jeffhaynie.com

pipes4

Lurker
Dec 7, 2011
Greetings!
Igor here, 46 y.o., from Croatia! I start smoking pipe before 2 months! :puffpipe:

boulder

Lurker
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Everyone,
By now you can tell I'm a background kind of person, avoiding center stage and my posting is short and to the point.
My dad was a pipe smoker when I was child and never saw myself as one.
I took up pipes early this year as a change form cigars and cigar prices, to

find I now like both and that pipes is a whole new addiction.
I am drawn to large free hand and handmade sitter pipes like Son, Knute, Wade, Nording we all know the list.
I do have more traditional pipes like Castello, Caminetto, Savinelli, Tsuge and a bunch of signed Meerschaums and let us not make believe we don't own and smoke Cobs at times, But to go on listing would not be polite. I luv Va's and VaPer's as well as Carter Hall.
I belong to more than one smokers forum and participate in them all.
I hope this lets you feel you know me just a little better, I'm not a spring chicken anymore but certainly not an old bird yet.
Thanks, John.

Status
Not open for further replies.