Status
Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Lots of new members lately...

Welcome to you all.

Hardlined... I can address the rusticated v. sandblast vagaries.

There is a definite difference between the two.

One, the rusticated, is produced by the use of hand tools. Mostly seemingly lately the Dremmel tool.

The other, the sandblast, is as the name implies produced by sandblasting the bowl.
To tell the difference is sometimes not so easy.

But, basically the sandblast will reveal the grain in the briar, where the rusticated will not.
Edit: Hardlined... Serendipity...

This thread starts with a Sandblast and then a Rusticated... My New Dunhill and Ferndown

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
Hello All. New member here but smoking pipes for a good long time. Thank you for the friend requests and warm welcome. Really look forward to reading what you guys are saying.
--Andy

pipedisciple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 18, 2011
New to the site been an avid cigar smoker and a in and out pipe smoker, nice to see a site for pipe smokers, look forward to reading the forums. Sam

mackdaddy

Lurker
Aug 16, 2011
Hi all - another newbbie to the site. I've been smoking a pipe off and on for several years now, but have just recently been smoking (and enjoying) more. I've really been getting into some nice (mosly subtle) aromatics lately, but am hoping to get some good advise here for trying new things. Just opened a new tin of Sillem's Copenhagen today (one of my favorites). Looking forward to reading up on one of my favorite subjects (pipes and tobacco of course!) on this great site!
Mack

tenex

Lurker
Aug 19, 2011
New member here, but I've been lurking for a few months and I've already learned a lot. Bought my first pipe about four months ago (MM cob) and since I've added a half dozen more cobs, a Dr. Grabow Grand Duke and a Savinelli Duca Carlo. Can't wait for the north Texas heat to break (currently 107 at my house) so I can smoke outside without melting!

bittercreek

Lurker
Aug 13, 2011
Hello to all

Been smoking pipes for 14yrs and regular lurking on various forums using webtv for 12yrs. Brand new to computers

and posting so still trying to figure things out.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
Hello,

I have been smoking pipes for about ten years now. My grandpa smoked his entire life and as soon as I turned 18 I bought my first Dr.Grabow and some cheap tobacco at Walgreens and never looked back. I smoke mostly English blends, but I do like the occasional aromatic's for old times sake. I am a student of Literature and History and I will hopefully be going to graduate school in the next year or so. Most of my pipes are Peterson's, but I have a few others. I am not really sure how a stumbled upon this cite; I think it was google search that lead me to one of the blog postings. I read through a few and decided I had to join. I'm not sure what else to say so I'll see you around the blogosphere.

johnnyxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2011
Hello,

I'm 21 live in Iowa, I've been smoking a pipe for 2 years. Got my start in pipe smoking when I googled "cool hobbies", and said to my self I'll try pipe smoking. I've learned everything I know about the hobby from youtube and on the pipe smoking forums.

stryder

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
Been on for about a week......great sight.

New to pipes and have learned a ton from forums and advice from members.

Building a collection of pipes.....currently

2 Nordings, 1 Knickerbocker, 2 Missouri Meer cobs (frankly these shocked me)

I can appreciate true craftsmanship being a tinkerer myself.....I like recurve bows, fountain pens, girls and dogs....not necessarily in this order!

welshwizard

Lurker
Aug 25, 2011
Hi folks,

I been smoking pipes on & off for 40 years and smoke when I enjoy it not out of habit so when I do pick up my pipe it is always at the right time when I can appreciate it the most.

I have far too many pipes which are mostly Peterson bent but also have a few church wardens & other makes but my rustic bent with peterson mouth piece is my all time fav. My first one was purchased in a great little tobacco shop that sadly closed many years ago but the pipe is still going strong 40 years on.

Having worked through very many tobaccos I always return to Condor which I gather you guy's cant get over with you in the states? why is that? you really are missing out.

Now I am off to look around and see what else I can learn from this great site, looking forward to hearing from you :puffy:

23sdad

Lurker
Aug 26, 2011
Hey all! Total FNG here. I just switched from cigars to pipes this spring. I'm overwhelmed with all the choices and variations in pipe shapes and tobacco.
I thought this would be simple. Ha! I only knew one pipe smoker in my life, my Master Gunnery Sargeant of 20 years ago. Somehow I am drawn toward the shapes he smoked, and now wonder what it was that "Top" put in his pipe.
Semper Fi,

23's Dad

Status
Not open for further replies.