PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
Hello all - New to the community and to pipe smoking in general. A friend of mine started making them gave me one and I very quickly fell in love with the hobby. I've been trying numerous blends from the local tobacco shop and found a few I thoroughly enjoy. After reading some of the reviews on here, though, I'm gathering quite a list of new ones to try!
I'm in Middle TN along with my wife and daughter and another daughter on the way. Look forward to the discussions!

emarkle

Lurker
Sep 2, 2011
Hi All,

I've been lurking here for some time now, but thought I'd make it official and get a legitimate login. I really enjoy the articles, threads and general insights on this fine site. So thanks to all of you for your involvement.
Just a little about me: I smoked my first pipe (a cob of course!) back in 1998, but reverted to cigars for several years. Then in either '04 or '05 I picked up a Parker bulldog after my brother suggested I give pipes a try again. Now I rarely smoke cigars; I just love the range and complexity of flavor offered by pipe tobacco.
In '07 I was browsing some of the high grade offerings at smokingpipes.com, and I got to wondering what all went in to the construction of a tobacco pipe. I took me a couple of years to find the courage to drop a few thousand dollars for tools, but I finally did late in '09. After several terrific failures, I turned out my first pipe in January of '10. Now I spend all the time I can out in my little shop, and I'm hopeful that someday I'll be able to make pipes full time!

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome to the newest members. Hope to see all of you here as often as your time permits. Don't be shy about posts, pics or any questions. There is a ton of info and friendly puffers here.

cjayhawk

Lurker
Sep 3, 2011
Suburban Kansas City
Hello everybody,
I have been lurking for a couple of months, since I started smoking a pipe. I decided that this new hobby of mine was not going anywhere, so I might as well join the online community.
I bought my first pipe around two months ago, and I enjoy a smoke a couple of times per week. In college, I had a roommate who smoked a churchwarden, and I would occasionally join him on the patio. However, when we went to the closest tobacco retailer, we weren't treated very well, so we gave up the habit.
In the years in between, I began socially smoking cigars, but often times felt awful after smoking an entire cigar because of all of the nicotine. After finally breaking into cold sweats and having to lay down for an hour after my last cigar, I remembered that I always enjoyed pipe smoking, and that I should try it again.
I bought two $6 pipes on eBay, and a store blend from a local B&M. Despite the poor quality of the pipes, I did enjoy the hobby. I am now up to 5 tobaccos, 1 estate pipe (that I will probably asking this forum about, to see if anyone knows anything about the brand), and 1 Savinelli (generously gifted by a friend). I love to hang out on my porch with my Boston Terrier and my wife and enjoy an evening smoke.
Great to meet you all!

plains

Lurker
Sep 4, 2011
Hi everyone -

I've been a frequent visitor to this site for the last few months; having again taken up the pipe after a 30 year absence. I've enjoyed the posts and learned a great deal from the forum, and a recent experience with the Peterson company seemed a compelling reason to join and introduce myself.

I've been a fan of Peterson exclusively, having a 301, premier 303, standard AND premier 309, and an original Sherlock Holmes. Two months ago I purchased a Royal Irish 03 from Iwan Ries after falling in love with it at first sight. It was my first Peterson fishtail - the others all being p-lips. After many bowls and the start of a nice cake I found the pipe still smoked "hot" - not tongue burn....but a "hot" sensation. I spoke with Adam at Iwan Ries, who suggested I return it for inspection. (Early July). I also sent an e-mail to customer service at Peterson, describing the problem. They responded immediately, suggesting I return it to them for inspection. The pipe made its way to Peterson via the Ashton representative; who gave it to Tom at the Las Vegas pipe show.

Within a week I had a response from Peterson. The pipe was inspected, found to have no defects and it was suggested that I may not be used to the draw of a fishtail bit as opposed to a p-lip. This is quite true as I've found a fishtail bit seems to have a much more "open" draw than a p-lip. They offered to fit a p-lip stem - complete with a silver band (a la the Mark Twain style) for me at no charge. I readily accepted! I received the pipe in the mail Saturday morning; complete with two stems.

Its been a LONG time since I've been so impressed with a company's customer service. My e-mails (there were several) were answered the next day. I can't overstate how well I was treated.

I look forward to many happy years enjoying and collecting...as well as sharing and learning from forum members.
plains

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
Well I have actually been a member for a bit this is the first time that I am posting anything. I really enjoy smoking my pipes. I don't do it as often as I would like though. I have five pipes and have 3 of them in my rotation currently. My latest is a Savinelli Curchwarden. It is still in in break in stage. I bought an English blend to go with it. I usually don't care for it, but reading somewhere that a stronger tasting tobacco would be good I decided to give it a go. I really like it. That is the latest in my little world of pipe smoking.
The Bearcat

bclarke

Lurker
Aug 25, 2011
Hello All,
Yet another newbie here. I'm Bob, currently residing in Orlando. I also have a farm in near Asheville, NC (Marshall) that we frequent roughly every 4-6 weeks.

Currently back in Grad school (UCF) after 20+ years studying Public History. I make a living as a photographer, pick banjo, am into straight razor shaving, and now-pipes!
Bob

drdrew

Lurker
Sep 8, 2011
Hey guys! Another lurker here that bought my first pipe a year ago. It was a briar from the local drug store. It didn't take long before I really started enjoying it and before long (and after my first bit of tongue bite wore off) I was on a first name basis with my local tobacco guy. I primarily smoke a corncob because I'm terrified of ruining my briar but my confidence in managing cake is building so I'm considering adding a nicer piece to my collection.
Also, I'm a fairly young guy at 27 but I have noticed more and more of my generation are getting into pipe smoking which makes me pretty happy.
Thanks for all the help I've gotten from these forums so far and I look forward to participating actively now!

mike

Lurker
Sep 10, 2010
Mornin' Everyone!!
I guess I am re-introducing myself. I originally signed up around a year ago (I think) but things conspired to prevent me from being an active participant. Hopefully, that will now change. I have spent a while re-aqainting myself with this site and am looking forward to enjoying what goes on here.
I am a pipe smoker of around thirty years and live in Nashville, Tennessee. I am married, have been for 42 years and am the father of two daughters and the grandfather of two boys and two girls. Life is good.
As I said, I hope to be much more active here and look forward to learning and perhaps contributing at least a little.
Mike

adzpipes

Lurker
Sep 8, 2011
Hey Pipesters, I am AD as in Adrian, and now known as ADz Pipes (pronounced Adies pipes oddly enough ;-))

I am from the east midland part of the UK in a small village called Kibworth.
I have a busy Youtube channel thats blew me away with the global response!! :lol:

ADz Pipes - YOUTUBE
I am an Artist thats difficult to describe in a few words, some of what I do is indeed, IN the youtube clips, and you may find me strange, odd, weird, crazy, unbalanced and psychotic :crazy: - but - GOOD that makes me a non stereo typical pipester !!
I was a cigar fan, for many years, never smoked cigarettes nor have I smoked as in inhaled, anything...then at the same time as my cigar humidor was getting empty, I bought a pipe, a Dr Plumb "Scorpio" that I later smoked sour from new (only had the ONE pipe - well, we all have to learn)and after it tasted like a grilled tree stump, I swapped it for a box of cigars, ha ha!!!
Some years later I found a huge quantity of pipes at my local car boot sales and antique fairs, going for a song, and started the PAD.....but didn't smoke em much as the tobacco deal here was way expensive, and was still getting cheap cigars from mates who went on holiday overseas.
At that time my friend went to Texas and brought back some pipe tobacco that was sooooo cheap compared to the UK,

and he and I (he being "Bill" in my YouTube videos) started the pipe thing big time, and both of us had found a common interest that lived on.
In the last 10 years I have become more of a pipe smoker that collector,and have recently been brutal in the clearing out of my 200 plus pipes that I really didn't like anymore, may taste has totally changed as has my tobacco pallet - I was a aro/small pipe person - now, although I still love my aromatics, I have broadened my taste and love many virginias and burleys - prefer larger pipes and unconventional shapes, hated bulldogs shapes, but now am a fan, weird, is it not, how we can completely go opposite directions?
I have a lot to say, but hate small talk, I have much to share and am polite but to the point, suffer no fools but am compassionate and loyal, with a huge varied spectrum of interests and a variety of conversation, I hope to contribute my personality on this endearing subject matter.
May your puffs always be pleasant :puffpipe:

Hi All,
Thought I'd de-lurk myself. I've been smoking pipes for a while now after getting hooked on them from a roommate while in university. I like all kinds of pipes: cobs, clays, Stanwells, Petersons, Grabows, Talbert Briars, Rad Davis, Mark Tinsky, Peter Heechen, the list goes on. I like most kinds of tobaccos, though I find that my cellar is mainly straight Virginias. I live about a half hour outside of Vancouver with my wife and daughter. Some of my hobbies include running, playing the mandolin, and trying to make a perfect cup of coffee. When I'm not doing those things I'm typically making pipes. I started making pipes in 2002 as a hobby and went to making pipes full-time in 2004. It has been a lot of fun and I've made a lot of friends over the years. Thanks for having me here!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Lots of new members... Wow!

Glad "all-y'all" have taken the plunge.
Welcome to all you "lurkers" (sounds a bit sinister).
Just dive right in.

We love questions, opinions and pictures.
We're glad to have "all-y'all" in the fraternity.
Don't forget to accept those friend requests!

pipegoddess

Lurker
Sep 8, 2011
Wilmington, DE
Greetings Proud Pipers,
My name is Rachel AKA many things :) I am most commonly known as The Sand Goddess, as I paint with sand. I am also known as The Wagon Lady of Savannah Georgia, for completing an event accomplished by no other woman in the nation. Here, I am ... The Pipe Goddess because I am naughty by nature, irreverent and profound. I am passionate about being an Artist and Activist or what I call an Artivist. I'm a published author and speaker who works with survivors of neglect and maltreatment, especially survivors of domestic violence, child abuse and sexual assault. As I mentioned, I paint with sand and am working on a collection of "exrotica" sand pipes. I use the proceeds of my work to host free workshops and retreats on and off line to encourage survivors to break the cycle by getting on the road through restoration and lifestyle transformation. I use every aspect of who I am as a woman to manifest this purpose.
When you think of me and how I began a love for the pipe, think of the pelican from the frootloops commercial "follow me nose!" :) When I was very young, I recalled the aroma of a pipe wafting past me. I'd follow my nose and it always led me to some man puffing away in a chair, or staring out into the horizon or reading or working on a car or strolling down the side walk just to wind up standing at a corner and taking in life. Distinctly I recall a woman on a front porch drinking a glass of what looked like OJ and rocking back and forth in her rocker. She wore a big house coat and rocked from behind the screening of creeping vines which draped over her front porch. There she sat, peering through the vines, puffing away and observing the traffic of people passing by. As I grew older and independent, I'd find myself waiting at a bus stop distracted by the sweet smell of cigar or pipe. I could not resist, I needed to follow and see who and what was being smoked. I wanted to see their enjoyment and what was mesmerizing them.
The first time I smoked anything, it was a cigar that I begged someone to buy for me when I was 17. I'll never forget the over sized fatigues I was wearing which were given to me by my uncle. The base of the pants were huge! They tied round my waist, a khaki olive one size fits all that bloomed to the ground! I snuck round behind the elementary school where I thought I'd not get caught and man alive... it was on and crackin! Some spiteful girls busted me and ran to tell my father. I was the fastest runner in my school and raced past them. I made it home first, darted up the stairs taking on three steps at a time!... lol... I was shaking with nerves! I brushed my teeth all the while hearing those hideous females ratting me out. Just as I finished my dad pounded on the bathroom door insisting I open it. "Yes dad?", I stood confidently... "have you been smoking?", he sternly asked with a look of intense firmness... "What??? Smoking??? NO!", as I laughed it off. My dad demanded, "Let me smell your breath!". So, he did and I was clean as a whistle! :) lol I know my dad knew but he couldn't be positive past the paste! :)
Needless to say, I was hooked. I was a closet smoker for 15 years. As time passed, I simply didn't care what people thought of me anymore. I heard people proclaiming freedom of choice, while others were ranting about extremist statistics which they generally applied as a tainted brand for all smokers and I heard the conscious noise many made about how my smoking was imposing on their health as if the mountain of crap they contributed to society wasn't mutually impacting my health and well being. Freedom and yet I was having to hide my great affection? Yeah? No... I was over it. I had survived a great many things in my life. Up till that point I beat death nine times, I was pretty sure there were greater risks than cigars.
Smoking has always been very much a part of my creative process. Then in summer of 2008, I went into YE OLE Tobacco Shop in Savannah Georgia to buy a long neck cigar when I graced my eyes upon a beautiful pipe. It had a dainty little bowl with a ten inch long gold neck. I had to have it! I purchased some fresh Count Pulaski and some Chatham Gold. I stuffed it, pressed it gently between my lips, cocking it to the right ever so slightly and set it ablaze. If I didn't know better, I'da sworn the spirit of some ancient self was pressing through the surface of my being. I lit up right there in the store! The rest is history. :) I was on a whole new level of euphoria! :) I had found my ultimate fetish. I have collected sensual pipes ever since, most can not be posted to this site due to their graphic nature. I seek out custom pieces.
I light up in the tub and before a new work... depending upon the intensity of a piece I will pipe while I paint. As I tell people all the time, there is what I like to call a ”mind-mood” that comes along with the pipe… it sets the pace and flow for what you are about to engage in. For some it’s reading… some painting and for others it's watching the sun set etc. However, in most cases it accompanies one's need to plug into a deeper layer of life. The pipe is like a vehicle enabling you to transcend the ordinary realms of engagement. Surely on all levels it would seem the piper is creatively accessing a higher quality of life ;) It is personal, it is social, it is political and it is even more so spiritual.
Well... I have rambled on enough. I hope you get a greater sense of who I am, what I'm about. I am an anomaly that expresses raw passion diversely and free of the shackles of shame, fear and social stigma. I am who I am to each one... uniquely.

Status
Not open for further replies.