PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwtravlr1

Lurker
Apr 20, 2011
Hi All
New member here, have enjoyed pipe smoking now for 30+ years. I have travelled alot domestically and internationally and have enjoyed many fine blends. I am located in the midwest (Oklahoma) and we have a good selection of shops and blenders to lean on for that special taste.
Currenly I am smoking two blends from Owasso's pipe shop, called 1Q and the Big "O" which is blended with Latakia; a very fine smoke. My habits include a couple of nice bowls in the evening and perhaps one additional while watching the current NBA playoffs, or NCAA or whatever tickles my fancy.
I am interested in Cowboy Action Shooting and blackpowder so smoking the ole corncob, or clay pipe meets all the approvals, plus a cool smoke. I also have 2-3 nice meeraschums, and a couple of nice briars to choose from.
Looking forward to reading some new info and keeping up with my enjoyment of pipes as a whole.
Thanks

Charlie

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome to you Charlie,

I too am a lover of 1Q. I get ribbed about it from time to time. (Just cuz they're jealous) :mrgreen:
We all look forward to you comments, questions, pictures.

capnbellamy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2011
Canterbury, England
New guy here, hi everyone.
Smoked pipes for about a year and a half, and at 21 (just), I've got a good while to enjoy them further! I'm English, and lucky to have an old traditional tobacconist nearby, from which I get most of my pipes. On the other hand, pretty much everything readily available is a Peterson, and their charms wear thin after the third or fourth purchase.
I enjoy most heavily sweet blends, particularly Black Cavendish, or mild tastes. Heavy, 'old school' things arn't my forte at all.
Err..that's about it. I study Philosophy, and a pipe is the perfect thing to accompany deep thoughts. I highly recommend it.
Sam

martin

Might Stick Around
Apr 26, 2011
Hi Everybody,

Finally decided to give this pipe smoking thing a try. Never done it before, never smoked ciggies seriously but have enjoyed 'jazz cigarettes' for years !
Went out today and grabbed a cheap pipe to start on and a bag of Borkham Riff cherry cavendish. Smoked it in my car until I find the right way to break it to the wife!
Been reading a lot both on here and other sites and Im finding the collecting side of it fascinating. No wonder people end up with so many pipes, they really are beautiful.

I've already got a nice unsmoked Astley on its way from the UK (I'm In Australia) and I'm still not sure wether to smoke it or keep it clean. Thanks guys, love the info and people on this site looks like a great place for pipe lovers to hang out.
My first (decent) pipe:

Xnewastbentapplesm3w31.jpg

Xnewastbentapplesm1w31.jpg

davebell30

Lurker
Apr 23, 2011
Howdy All

Well, I signed up a few days ago and have been lurking for that time. Thought it was time to introduce myself to the forum. I started with the pipe @ 45 years ago and, like many, put the pipe down around 25 years ago and have just recently recharged the urge to puff and ponder. My background is in the arts, my addictions include fly fishing, reading, music and trees. My living earned - custom rod building, comedy and theater performance, wood and fine-hair splitting, etc. I live in Central Wisconsin. My old pipes are serviceable and pedestrian, left-overs with 25 years of non-use, but soon to be added to by my own hand. I'm interested in the many blends available on-line that would have been unavailable to me in my less endowed and younger pipe hey-day. I'm enjoying the many opinions and teachings recently acquired here on PMF. Thanks for recharging the old memories.

Dave

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
Welcome, Dave and Martin! Happy to have you on board, and feel free to chime in on the discussions. Martin, it will be great to hear your perspective from "down under" (as I am a Canadian from the Great White North). Dave, I'm sure you'll have interesting thoughts on how things have changed during your 25 year hiatus.
Martin, that's one sweet looking author. I've been trying to find one to round out my pipe collection.
Simon

martin

Might Stick Around
Apr 26, 2011
Hi guys thanks for the welcome. I accidentally rejected 3 or 4 friend requests from people. Sorry, my browser is not showing the page properly and i clicked the red one by mistake.

Can we try that again? again, sorry folks.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome aboard Martin,

No problem about the friendship requests.

I think we all have performed that particular faux pax on occasion.

We all look forward to your posts and pictures.

You'll find we're a friendly and generous lot, and a bit irreverent once in a while.

We never make fun of members, but we will poke fun on occasion.

Welcome to the fraternity!

:puffy:

tom12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2011
Good evening gents.
My names Tom, residing in Worcester, England (where the sauce is from).
I'm an occasional pipe smoker, mostly in spring and summer due to not being allowed to smoke in the house. I hope to enjoy my stay here and chill out with other of like minded temperament.
Cheers,
TC

davebell30

Lurker
Apr 23, 2011
To Unclearthur -

I had to get the old gazetteer out but did find Humbird on the Map a little southwest of Nielsville. I live near Waupaca. My children live in the Twin Cities and I often take Hwy. 10 to 94 on my way to visit them. Next time I take that route, perhaps we could meet, share a bowl, hunker a bit then wave adieu. All on your say-so of course.
Dave

PS with all due respect-I'm a newbee to the forum- but has any other forum member ever mentioned that a alternative reading of your moniker marks you as "unclear" thur!!!

nabottle

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2011
Hello Everyone.I'm Shannon from Winter Haven, FL. I'm totally neew to pipe smaoking. In fact I have yet to buy my first pipe. I'm looking forward to learning and getting to know all of you. I've already gotten some great advice on where to begin and how to start. For that, I thank you guys. If anyone else would like to chime in on pipe brands, tobacco, accessories, please do so. Right now I am a sponge.

Status
Not open for further replies.