PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
John -
Where, please, in the land of my forefathers, do you reside? As Didache noted, we have some Londoners, some ex-Londoners, at least two Corny folks.....or is that "Cornish"? [wan smile due to corny and bad joke] -- And several other counties and cities spoken for.
Any particular tobaccos you're fond of?

johno85

Lurker
May 8, 2017
Jmpcwjr - lol yes that is Cornish. I'm from a small fishing town called "Hastings" right down in the south to the east. I'm very fond of the loose aromatic tobaccos my tobbacoist does down here, I'm very lucky to live in a town with an old fashioned tobbacoist that hasn't changed since the late 70's

I used to smoke a pipe when I was in college - Mainly because smoking a pipe was cheaper than cigarettes. My pipe was a barn find which I rescued from my uncle's chest of drawers. The tobaccos I smoked then were mainly virginias - the only notable brand that would be familiar to members here would be Capstan Blue - Navy Cut. After many many years, I again took up pipe smoking to reduce cigarettes, to stop inhaling the smoke and in general to have a better smoke!

I bought a Meerschaum (Hopefully single block) from my local tobacconist - The pipe is unmarked, but the leather case says "Paykoc imports". I started day 1 with Lane 1-Q as recommended by my local tobacconist and quickly followed up with a bunch of bulk tobaccos and tins. I have smoked "Miyagi's Mindfulness", Dunhill My mixture 965, Dunhill English Mixture and one more oriental bulk mixture which was labeled as BTR - I was in a hurry so I did not note down the full name.

After smoking all these for a week, I felt that I liked some aspects of all of them, but still not found my regular! I loved the smell of 1-Q but somehow I felt it was a simpleton (No complexity, no drama)- still it is the regular smoke I would love to continue and I ordered a full 1 pound of it online! Dunhill 965 is also something I loved, and re-ordered. Miyagi's Mindfulness tastes exquisite - but I somehow did not like it - it has all sorts of varietals from Virginia to cigar tobacco and everything in between - Jack of all trades. The BTR tasted ok, but it was quite an effort to keep it lit - somehow I did not like it either. I ordered a couple of pounds of all sorts of tobacco from pipesandcigars.com - I realized I like aromatics as my main smoke and occasional English blends rich in orientals, so that's how I selected -1 lb of Lane 1-Q and 50 grams or 2 ounces each

Of Dunhills, Davidoffs, Amphoras, Astons and a couple of other aromatics from Lane. I also bought a second Meerschaum. I am still in a quest for a spicy oriental aromatic with flavors of saffron, nutmeg, cinnamon and pepper. I hope I will enjoy my new hobby!

zackery

Lurker
May 13, 2017
Hello all! I have been lurking this forum for some now for all of the useful information. I decided to join becasue I really don't have anyone, apart from my local tobacconist, to discuss pipes and tobaccos with.
I am fairly new to pipes and pipe smoking. I started out with a cheap drugstore pipe and tobacco. I liked it enough to start upgrading.
With help from my local tobacconist I have slowly put together the base of my collection and started to develop some tobacco likes and dislikes. It would be easier to show rather than tell. Nothing spectacular but here it is:
Everything to the right of the 4th Generation tin I haven't tried yet. To the left are the tobaccos I am smoking or have smoked.

Some of them are fairly new so I can't give an informed opinion about them. The Comoy's Tradition was my first pipe and probably favorite, although the Savinelli and 4th Gen (those are the fairly new pipes) are making a good case for that top spot.
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/zackery/album/picture/22267

zackery

Lurker
May 13, 2017
Here are the tobaccos:
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/zackery/album/picture/22266
Sorry. Having some problems with the Image code tab and apparently I am too slow for the editing timer. Link to the album I guess.

oldpipesoul

Lurker
May 12, 2017
Hey, I'm Philip and middle age is finding me finding myself. Grandpa smoked a pipe before I was born, absolutely love Sherlock Holmes and Hopalong Cassidy (In the real books, Hoppie smokes and drinks and cusses a lot), and just seem to like old and time-honored custom kind of stuff. To give you a glimpse of my level of OCD, I got my first pipe a month ago and after lurking here and on reborn pipes I started buying g old cheaper Dr Grabow pipes to restore, began rusticating four last week, and just finished turning an $8 shelf into a pipe cabinet. My other obsessions include fixing up my Jeep TJ, cycling (and fixing up vintage bikes of course). So right now I'm just smoking otc's like Carter Hall, SWR. I figure I'll enjoy those for a while and then as I learn more about tobacco maybe I'll really appreciate it after these. Love my MM Corncobs, found somebody on eBay selling custom stained cobs with forever stems fairly reasonable which are great. Already appreciate all the responses y'all have offered about my vintage cob question!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome, Zachary and old pipe.
Here's the tobacco photo- all you have to do once it's in the album is right click on Windows or Control click on Mac, and paste the resultant address in the IMG tag.
img_0676-600x450.jpg

Quite a nice collection!

zackery

Lurker
May 13, 2017
Got it. Thanks jpmcwjr.
I am really digging the Tilbury and Evening Stroll. Apparently the people I smoke the Evening Stroll around like it as well. I thought I liked the Escudo but the more I smoked the less I seemed to enjoy it. The Early Morning Pipe is a bit "weak" for my taste. I sometimes think it would be better as a cigarette.
I forgot to add I am from south central Indiana. I was somewhat surprised at the number of Hoosiers I have seen posting here. Granted they were older posts but still refreshing to see.

bttreadwell

Lurker
May 4, 2017
Hey gang, I wanted to introduce myself as well. Got my first pipe back in college and enjoyed it for a semester or two and that was it. No telling what we smoked or how well we did it. Fast forward 20+ years and I've decided to pick up pipe smoking again. So much to learn and try, which I think is the one of the biggest appeals for me. Started with aromatics but am starting to branch out. I think my current favorites are Deep Hollow and HH Blackhouse. Unfortunately I am getting excited about stocking up and putting blends away for later, which can get pricey fast, but lots of fun. I live in the Orlando area so I am spoiled but the nice pipe smoking weather most of the year. Thanks for letting me lurk around and learn from you gents.
BT

redlegrod

Lurker
May 21, 2017
Hello everyone! I am a new pipe smoker from Indiana. I am enjoying this new hobby and reading the forum. I look forward to making new friends and becoming more knowledgeable with pipes and tobacco.

allthebass

Might Stick Around
May 7, 2017
Bettendorf, IA
Hello all! I'm from Iowa and have been into pipes for the last 23 yrs. I was a member of the P&T Magazine forum but I haven't been active in any online pipe related community for 7-8 years. My favorite blends are English and Balkans but I will occasionally smoke a Burley blend and the odd aromatic. Try as I might, the enjoyment of Virginia flake eludes me though I do like Red Ribbon or some 5100 every now and again. One of my favorite things is trying new blends so for that reason my cellar is stocked more wide than deep.
If there was s a focus to my pipe collection over the last decade it would probably be Bill Taylor Ashtons' but my most heavily smoked pipes these days are Northern Briars, Vacher/Laughing Moon and Savinelli Corallos. I also own some wonderful pipes by Ardor, Radice, Charatan, Comoy, Stanwell, Peterson and even a few MM cobs. One of my most cherished pipes is an Ashton Sea Urchin that was actually carved by Ian Walker(Northern Briars) when Bill was passing that design on to him. It's like a combo of my favorite British pipe makers.
Thanks for letting me be a part of your community.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Hello, all.
I'm Jay, in Austin, Texas.
I just posted an intro in the Basics and Beginner's Questions section before I found this area.
Ex-cig smoker, for 33 years. Been vaping for 2.5 years and just got into pipe smoking for the first time.
Looking forward to asking all the noob questions you've answered 100 times and getting to know all of you.
Thanks.
Jay :nana:

archangel

Lurker
Jun 2, 2017
California
Should of done this over a week ago lol. I'm Archangel ( Dragonfly Slayer) The wizard from Shingle Springs. I enjoy being a member here & learning new things about pipes & tobacco's. You can learn more about me from my Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/Angels1996Harley Hope it's OK to post this link to my timeline here, since it's already here on my public profile. Looking forward to talking more with other members.

dunstanhillwell62

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2017
Denmark
Hello all.
I'm a 66 year old Danish male and debuted as a pipe smoker at the ripe old age of 12 back in 1962. Two of my little class mates and I decided that we wanted to become pipe smokers just like our dads and to that end we bought three little wood pipes in the local toy store and a pouch of cheap tobacco.

I still remember when I came home and told my dad and showed him my new pipe. He looked at me and my ridiculous little pipe and said that it was a splendid idea. He gave me a pipeful of his tobacco, Old English, and when I regained consciousness, I never looked back. You might say that I was tobacco-raised on Old English, Three Nuns and Edgeworth since my Dad smoked them and he wasn't cheap with his tobacco, "You know where the tins are".
After a lengthy pause, I re-found my pipes and took up pipe-smoking again last september. I started collecting pipes, mostly Stanwells, particularly those designed by Sixten Ivarsson and I still smoke English blends, not being too fond of aromatics.
I'm glad I joined this great forum with so many knowledgeable people and I do hope that I can give something back for all the stuff I learn.
Happy smoking.

:puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A warm welcome! I started a few years later than 1962, but was also a few years older. Laid off for 40 years, and am enjoying the heck out of it now.

dunstanhillwell62

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2017
Denmark
Thanks, jpmc...

My pipesmoking pause lasted about 16 years and my PAD and TAD have returned with a vengeance. In 10 months, my collection has grown from 17 pipes to about 140 and when I started I never thought I'd be able to afford a Dunhill; I now own three; one a birthyear pipe. The same goes for pipes from Danish pipemakers of which I now own seventeen. PAD works in mysterious ways.

I certainly do not hope that the above reads like bragging, but I love my pipes and can talk/write about them for hours on end.
Happy smoking

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.