PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
Hi everyone! Middle aged woman here. Been wanting to use my great grandpa's old pipes that I was lucky to come across decades ago. My wish has been to live out in the Black Hills somewhere ( I live in SD) and have a cabin and smoke my pipe on the porch. hahaha Lofty goals, huh? :eek:) Anyway... needing to learn about making the old pipes useable , if possible, and learning all I need to know to enjoy a good pipe. Looking forward to the whole process.
Welcome from Virginia

Reactions: KP Christensen

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
KP, Welcome from Sydney Oz.

A wonderful sentiment returning your Grandpa's pipes to use.

As has been mentioned there are lots of threads on these Forums on how to clean up old pipes and even repairing holes in stems.
A simple fix for the holed stem is using a rubber/silicon "Softee" bit - I'm somewhat lazy and challenged when it comes to handiwork ?

Steve Laug's "Rebornpipes" is a treasure trove of step-by-step hints with lots of pre-and post- pics on how to clean/repair pipes.

Good luck with your endeavours.

Jul 5, 2022
Rapid City,SD
KP, Welcome from Sydney Oz.

A wonderful sentiment returning your Grandpa's pipes to use.

As has been mentioned there are lots of threads on these Forums on how to clean up old pipes and even repairing holes in stems.
A simple fix for the holed stem is using a rubber/silicon "Softee" bit - I'm somewhat lazy and challenged when it comes to handiwork ?

Steve Laug's "Rebornpipes" is a treasure trove of step-by-step hints with lots of pre-and post- pics on how to clean/repair pipes.

Good luck with your endeavours.
Thank you! They’re even older than grandpa’s- they’re great grandpa’s. I’ve had them over 40 yrs. Have wanted to use them for years. I guess reaching a certain age, I care less and less what others may think about it. Hahaha! Will look into your recommendation .

Reactions: edger and OzPiper