PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
OR. . . . ON THE OTHER HAND. . . .
I might step away from my desk for a quick telephone conference only to come back and see, there on my filing cabinet . . .
TheBoxArrived_zps62104efc.jpg

The Box, safely arrived in paradise.
Opening an other pics to come soon.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Ready to open. A good box deserves a fine knife. That my Benchmade Auto Stryker, my EDC for something like eight years. (No the tip isn't broken; just tucked in The Box.)
Theboxreadytoopen_zpsa99f11b6.jpg

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
It really is difficult to find sufficiently powerful superlatives to describe The Box. But i can tell you that one especially apt one is "overwhelming." To have so many varieties of tobacco on the table in front of you, blends you have heard of but not actually encountered before, blends covering more or less the full spectrum of a centuries-old art and craft that is overwhelming. I made it through about half the contents of The Box -- opening bags, inhaling, wondering in rapt amazement over and over -- before I had to take a break.
One quickly realizes that one cannot possibly try them all. I think there are 75+ different varieties in the box -- and I only saw ONE repeated. I have set aside about 10 bags from which I'll take a sample. (I was VERY pleased to see that I have a few things I can add that guys will want to try, and that are not in The Box already. More on that in a separate post.)
For me, the highlights of this dazzling display are three: Balkan Sobranie, SPC Plum Pudding and H&H Vintage Syrian from 2006. I haven't had the chance to sample any of these before, and now -- thanks to you fellows and The Box -- I will.
So that's the word for now. I'll be sampling and enjoying over the next few days. I hope to put up a post about my "additions" later today or tomorrow.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
OK, here is what I'll be putting in The Box -- properly bagged, of course. (And thanks to whoever contributed the mylar bags. Those are nifty.)
* I will be including essentially the full tins of Escudo, OGS and the Chocolate Flake. (Just not my kind of bowls. I tried to break out of my lat bomb/English/Oriental habit. I tried. But Perique? Chocolate? Just not happening for me.)
* That's Peterson's 2012 holiday blend. (One of the few aros I have ever REALLY liked. I struggled over whether to include any here, as I know it's gone when it's gone and I'm selfish by nature. But to have found an aro I enjoy, I felt compelled to share it in case other full-English fans never had a shot at it.)
* Large sample of the Peterson's Irish Oak. (Someone recently bought me another tin, so now I have three tins. I love the stuff, but the nic kick is liken to that of angry mule. Seriously. Head-spinning stuff. So just ONE tin is going to last me a loooong time.)
* I didn't see samples of SL or Penzance in The Box, and I deem those necessary for everyone to try at least once.
* The pipes: The cob is just a little MM in case the next guy doesn't own a lot of pipes and wants to try something weird. The briar is a meer-lined GiGi that I just haven't smoked in years. It just sits forlornly on my rack, envious of the other pipes that get smoked. The bit needs a polish, but someone will love this. (Or at least can make use of it.)
TheBoxputin_zps65099594.jpg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
That is a fine selection. Well thought out and all top shelf. I haven't tried half of what you are putting in...now I'm getting excited about getting the Box.
(If you want to affix the tin labels to the mylar bags, they can be removed by heating the inside of the tin lid and then slowly peeling. I use a heat gun, but I think that a hair dryer will work, too)

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
(If you want to affix the tin labels to the mylar bags, they can be removed by heating the inside of the tin lid and then slowly peeling. I use a heat gun, but I think that a hair dryer will work, too)
Genius!
-- Pat AKA The non-resident lurker...

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
The Box is . . . wonderful.
Really guys. Someone else will have to do the math, but we are talking about hundreds of dollars of stuff -- some of it damned hard to find -- winging its way back and forth across the nation, and the biggest problem I see is that the thing has now gotten so full from everyone's generosity that there's really, truly no room left in the thing. (All the tobacco is soon going to assume pressed cake form from the pressure.)
It just says something fine about pipe smokers.
So I have taken out a good bowl or two of a dozen tobaccos I have never tried before, and if i can figure out in what order to try them, I'll soon have a substantial TAD list. Today it was Balkan Sobranie and SPC Plum Pudding. I liked the Sobranie a lot. . . I simply LOVED the Plum Pudding.
My contribution tobaccos and pipes are in the box and I will be shipping out on Thursday. It has been a pleasure.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Well, since Yaz didn 't chime in, then yes, it IS you.

I'll flip the appropriate switches to get the box moving in the morning...
Let's have warm round of applause for tslex, though. He did a great job with the Box!

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
So close! The ephemeral scent is so tantalizing! What beauty awaits my most inexperienced palate! The excitement is nearly tangible!

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
So five days ago he says put me on hold. Because I'm not even in town for a couple days, thinking well it will be a couple weeks I get treated like this! Read the history, glad to see Jason, who saved the box after the thefts finally sees a full box. Those of us who waited almost a year didn't get a box filled with tobacco but pipes, books and nostalgia. Instead we took a little and loaded a ton to get it going again.
So you're welcome and I've got one less social media site to participate in. Peace out.
Craig

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
Dan and Craig,

@dragonslayer can slip back in front of me if that is cool... as long as there is some Penzance left... I still haven't tried that stuff. :D
as we have read thru this thread...as required. The ones that are the problem just disappear. Craig should be able to step back in line. Life happens sometimes... we are having really quick turn arounds on the box, it's not an issue as far as I am concerned.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Because I'm not even in town for a couple days, thinking well it will be a couple weeks I get treated like this!
treated like THIS???? Really Craig!?!? You might want to go back and read the last few pages of this thread many days go by while everyone waits for you to chime in.
Whenever you are ready, Dan, you'll be next.

I'm more than happy to juggle the schedule to accommodate folks.
I'll give Dragonslayer a few days, since his turn came early. He last posted here 2 weeks ago, so he's keeping in touch with the thread. Is that OK Jason?
That was a quote from "woodsroad" a week ago. One of the reasons the many rules have been put in place like being active on this thread, is to avoid waiting for the box to move to move along. Being active on the site and this thread you would have seen that your(just like everyone else') acknowledgement was requried before the box was sent to you. Now, I think Dan was more than fair to suggest (as he did above) that to be fair to you, your turn had come early to give you some time to respond. When you still DID NOT, someone had to make a call to move the box. Think of if you were the guy in line after you. He's anxiously waiting to receive the box, and it seems someone is AWOL. I'm sure it didn't help that recently the Canadians had an issue with response from a participant.
Now, Dan and the rest of the participants aren't unreasonable, and putting you back in line as soon as possible isn't unfair in my opinion. I say this because I gave up my place in line because of travel plans conflicted with my receiving the box. People after me weren't receiving the box any later than they would have because I still needed my turn.
I think the rules being in place really helps the success of this pass, and while we abide by them, its always possible to take into account for life.
Anyway, throwing a fit and acting like your turn was NEVER considered seems a bit childish.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Rules and protocol exist for good reasons. One of those reasons is to help identify potential Box Pass participants who are responsible, responsive and enthusiastic, and to weed out those who can't follow directions or respond to requests. When someone fails to follow our simple rules and instructions, it is an indication that they might have difficulty moving the Box on to the next person.
The rules here are quite clear: "Favorite" the thread, so that you will get an email copy of every post; Stay active on the thread. Since I started shepherding here, we have had two participants who felt, as their time approached, that they were not able to receive the box. They notified me and the rest of the participants, and they were put on a temporary hold. These folks knew that they might have a problem because they had stayed active on the thread, and were receiving "favorite" emails that indicated that their turn was next. We do not run on a schedule here. It is the individuals responsibility to keep track and anticipate their turn at bat, or risk being passed over.
I have previously passed over one other participant, and expect to have to do it again. I don't like having to do that, but it's what's needed if the safety of the Box is to be maintained, and the sanity of the participants respected. I will not engage in hand-wringing and brow-beating as a mode of operation here. Ain't nobody got time for that. The Box Pass participants have been doing a fantastic job with very little input from me. The Box is stuffed and moving like greased lightning. There are lots of happy pipers left in it's wake.
Specifics: Dragonslayer's time came early, when Yaz stepped aside. We waited 48 hours for Dragonslayer to pick up on the fact that he was now next in line. I have never done that before. When he still didn't respond, we then moved the box on to the next person in line. Five days after we announced that he was next, Dragonslayer posted here, stating that "I'm on here everyday [:nana:] If you look I'm in a thread most days". I did check his posts, and he hadn't been signed in to PM for 48 hours when I made the decision to move on. I gave him more time and warning to stand front and center than anyone else gets.
At no time did I say that he could not get back in line when he resurfaced. I can imagine a multitude of good reasons that someone would be AWOL. BTDT myself.
Now he throws a Class A Hissy Fit. I have not received a PM from him, there was no contrition expressed to the other participants for delaying the Pass, no explanation for why he was unable to keep up with current events here. The ball was in his court and he skipped right to Blame and Shame.
"So you're welcome and I've got one less social media site to participate in. Peace out."
Your choice, Dragonslayer. Sorry that you chose to end it that way.
Let's move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.