PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Dan,
1. Can you reiterate the order as it stands now?
2. Just for grins i did a little research. Shipping USPS Large Flat Rate box from my zip (33131) to central city NY (10001) is ~$18 for two day delivery. Shipping the FedEx "One Rate" Box of the same approximate size is almost exactly the same price, albeit for a 5-delivery.
Is there something to be said for a security/tracking advantage versus a PROMISED speed advantage? (I say promised advisedly, as I do not not find the priorty mail predictably arrives in two days. Much more often three.) Could we run the thing through FedEx and just have the passers choose the speed level that suits them. If a guy can only spare the $20 to send it five-day, so be it. If he's blessed to be able to splurge for a faster pass (and yes, it CAN get costy) all the better.
You are driving this ship, an unenviable and admirable task, so I'm content with however you want to run it. Just offering up the data.
3. The guy behind me in the pass had better like Perique. I decided this year that I just cannot abide the stuff, try though I might, however many blends I sampled. So I'll be sending out all all of mine, and good riddance. (That said, the fellow who follows me may not find any Latakia blends left in the box. I do love that black, smoky goodness.)

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Tslex, a shift to FedEx will have to be discussed here. I am not going to make any unilateral moves when it comes to OPM (Other People's Money) and OPT (Other People's Tobacco).
Off the top of my head, here's how I see the pro's and cons:
USPS
Pro's

Universal Service. Everyone has a mailbox, or is within a short distance to a post office.

If you have a large enough mailbox, it will be left in the box

Reliable (we have not lost a box to the Post Office...yet...correct?)

2-3 day delivery time
Cons

Perceived reliability problems

Weak tracking system

Insurance claims take a long time to settle and settlements are usually for substantially less than stated coverage (BTDT)
FedEx
Pro's

Excellent reliability

Excellent tracking system

Fast claims payment
Con's

Must pay extra for pickup or drive package to a FedEx location

Deliveries are left outdoors or recipient must pick up at a FedEx location.

5 day delivery.
For me, it's a toss-up, with Universal Service tipping the scales towards USPS. I know that most of you, however, do not have a Rural-sized mailbox, and that can be a PITA if you are not home to get the box.
Perhaps we'll give FedEx a try around Christmas and see how it goes?
47cee_20-rural-iowa-mailbox.jpg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
As Requested...
Update-vi.png
The Current Box Pass List

(updated 10-12-14)
eightywon (In Possession)

Yazamataz (On Hold)

Dragonslayer

Tslex

Dermotfahy

Woodsroad

Lucky695

Werebear
List and order is subject to change

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Good thoughts all around, Dan.
Living in the suburbs these many years, and always having deliveries made to my office in the city, I really had not considered that the express couriers are NOT that convenient for folks who live more sensibly, out in the countryside, as I once did. [Back then there WAS no FedEx at home and UPS or WF were rare. But our mailman (Big Al) knew us well and would put packages on the porch if we were in town, or slip a note into the mailbox if he knew we were not. Starting around Thanksgiving the guy got such an avalanche of baked goods from his route that his "Big Al" status was always secure.]
You are right that universal service is a big consideration. I am happy to go with the flow.
ETA: Thanks for the update.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I am ready to receive.
For your convenience Dan I re-PMed shipping address, telephone and email so they are handy.
I've not got any travel planned in the next few weeks, so I should be able to accommodate a quick pass.
(And -- seriously -- I hope the next guy like Perique)
Standing by.

Happy to be here.

Proud to serve.

Every day a holiday.

Every formation a parade.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
::::::::::::::::::::
I will be stepping down the hall to en empty office for a few minutes to jump up and down and go "squee!" like a little girl.
Please continue to talk amongst yourselves until I return.
Carry on.
:::::::::::::::::::::::

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Behind the scenes, the large levers are being pulled, knife switches thrown and the low hum of the immense direct-current motors is signalling that, once again, the box is in motion......

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Just stopped in to thank Dan, and all of you participating, for turning this squeaky-wheeled red wagon of a box pass into a well-oiled locomotive. Everyone, pat yourselves on the back. :clap:
My take on shipping is that the USPS flat rate equalizes things and, very importantly, limits the size of the box to reasonable participation levels. Once we start using other carriers (that do not allow USPS branded packaging), the box becomes ever larger and unwieldy as well as getting incrementally pricier and location-dependant. Stick with the USPS flat rate, trust me on this.

And post more pics!

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Product & Tracking Information

Postal Product:

Priority Mail 2-Day™

Features:

$50 insurance included

USPS Tracking™

DATE & TIME

STATUS OF ITEM

October 17, 2014 , 11:12 pm

Departed USPS Facility

WEST SACRAMENTO, CA 95799

Your item departed our USPS facility in WEST SACRAMENTO, CA 95799 on October 17, 2014 at 11:12 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

October 17, 2014 , 8:12 pm

Arrived at USPS Origin Facility

October 17, 2014 , 5:22 pm

Departed Post Office

WOODBRIDGE, CA 95258

October 17, 2014 , 1:37 pm

Acceptance

WOODBRIDGE, CA 95258
It is on the move!!!!
ohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboy

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm here! 8O I'm on here everyday :nana: If you look I'm in a thread most days. I this thread when it pops up, but what should I do ... wave. You know this thread falls off most of the days with so many posts.
Craig

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Box Pass participants must "favorite" this thread, as outlined in the rules, and keep current with the discussion, or risk getting passed by when a situation such as this occurs.
I'll be home later in the day and I'll figure this out then. In the meantime, the box remains on it's current path, no changes.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Per USPS tracking The Box arrived the Miami PO this morning at 1010H.
Not sure if it will get here by COB -- it's already 1500H and it does not say "out for delivery."
So I'd expect delivery tomorrow -- when, as fate would have it, I will be out of the office in a deposition all day. But this is why I have deliveries made to my office -- my trusty staff will sign for it and I even have a secretary who lives close and likely can bring it home to me tomorrow evening.
Details (and pictures) as I have them.
October 20, 2014 , 10:10 am

Arrived at Post Office

MIAMI, FL 33101

October 20, 2014 , 12:11 am

Arrived at USPS Facility

OPA LOCKA, FL 33054

October 17, 2014 , 11:12 pm

Departed USPS Facility

October 17, 2014 , 8:12 pm

Arrived at USPS Origin Facility