PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn Hoose, 475 lbs??? I have 18.5 lbs.
My first five years on here, I budgeted in $300-350 a month for pipe tobaccos. Then when I had enough, I started honing my growing and flue curing skills just to make sure that I can keep going long after the tobacco markets have dried up.
I have no idea what the exact weight of my cellar is. It was well over 200lbs when my app stopped working. Stupid APPs. And, my last estimate was over 400lbs, but I am not sure by how much. I may inventory it again one day, but for now the wine and mead making is taking up my time.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
It's about the money, and money is power. It has always been about the money and quite likely always will be. Money and power have an eternal appeal to instinctual man, and reason and spirit, not instinct. seem always in short supply. Greed is natural, our birthright, the underpinning of the modern business world. Probably the power elites cannot be ejected from their positions with anything short of a cataclysm.

Do you really think you can get in the way of our smoking pleasure?

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
I rather thought it’s the health insurance mafia that determines how tobacco is regulated, legislated, and perhaps one day eradicated. For example, the hospital where I work is smoke free to the point we do not hire those who do smoke to appease the insurance company to keep our rates down. Those that smoke and were grandfathered before the new regs have to pay more for the same benefits.

Last edited:

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
They sell cigars for people to just cut up and use as papers for drugs smoking

Whoa, slow down Cosmic! A little specificity is in order here. "Drugs smoking" is a very broad brush. Those wrappers are for someone who wants an apple or gin n juice flavored blunt.....it's not a crack pipe or heroin spoon ;)

The deeming regs, while no fun at all, aren't what really scares me. I'm far more worried about more states doing what Washington does: banning the shipping of tobacco from out of state. For most people in the US, this is pipe tobacco heaven; make hay while the sun shines.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I rather thought it’s the health insurance mafia that determines how tobacco is regulated, legislated, and perhaps one day eradicated. For example, the hospital where I work is smoke free to the point we do not hire those who do smoke to appease the insurance company to keep our rates down. Those that smoke and were grandfathered before the new regs have to pay more for the same benefits.
I'm surprised no one has tried to fight that regarding hiring practices.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
There's a saying that my Doctoral advisor liked to use regarding what determined the course of music history: "Follow the trail of bucks." Essentially meaning that the chief determining factor for what music was written and for whom had to do with what the market demanded at the time.

I think that applies here as well. Cigars are big money, which means that manufacturers and trade organizations can afford to spend quite a bit on lobbyists, etc. to influence the political process. Pipe tobacco does not have such a big lobby, and recently they have been left behind by the cigar manufacturers (just look at the name change of the primary lobbying organization from "International Cigar and Pipe Retailers Association" to "International Cigar Association.") Combine that with many lower-end manufacturers labelling RYO as "Pipe Tobacco" to find loopholes in regulation, and that's why we find ourselves in this position.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Many states have off-Duty conduct protections that protect an employee from partaking in legal, lawful activities. My state specifically protects employees from discriminating against tobacco use for employment so it would be an easy case.
This is true; however, where the legal system is concerned, there is quite a lot of grey area. Even set-in-stone laws can be no match for a crafty legal team, and when it comes to the persecution of tobacco, any given state will have a veritable squad of them at hand. State of Washington = Exhibit A.

Also, I should have expounded a little bit. When I mentioned the word "cost," I didn't just mean financial. I also meant the cost in energy and time. It's no secret that lawyers have an affinity for dragging out the process, and even in the rare instance of a victory (for the "good guys"), recovering legal costs is about as easy as keeping a bowl of Molto Dolce lit during a Category 5 hurricane.

Lastly, I will say that there's no such thing as an "easy" case. For obvious red, spiky, microscopic reasons, many courts are overwhelmed with thousands of pending legal cases right now which are just getting postponed indefinitely, even quite serious ones. I was just reading earlier this week of a woman whose son was wrongfully arrested, and died in police custody. Her lawsuit is nearing the two year mark, with no resolution in sight due to the postponements. Richard Pryor once said, "You go to the courthouse looking for justice, and that's what you'll find: just us!"

Merely my two cents.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I’m just thinking about how our families/friends are going to feel & deal with the horde of tobacco left over when we shuffle off. Two things...simple minded folk will simply S-can our cherished cellars or sell it off for pennies on the dollar. ?‍♂️ ☕
I have just had a chat with my older son and left instructions on what to do in that eventuality - under no circumstances is his mother to turn leftover tobacco into compost for her garden or use the pipes as kindling for the BBQ ?

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I have just had a chat with my older son and left instructions on what to do in that eventuality - under no circumstances is his mother to turn leftover tobacco into compost for her garden or use the pipes as kindling for the BBQ ?
Verbal contract is no good. You gotta get that in writing, my friend! Notarized, witnesses...the whole 9 yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.