PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Back in 2012 when I first heard of the deeming regs and the possibilities of tobacco not being able to sold on line, I screamed like a little girl who had lost her BarbI's.
I vowed to get a 200-250 pound cellar in one year.
I spent a few months making sure I really liked something before it made the final cut and then went balls to the walls buying. I easily filled my home with my favorites and was comfortable with my decision of the major buying spree.

Over the years I have added a few new blends like Curly Block, Salty Dogs, Savinelli Doblone d'Oro. The only things I buy now are aged tins that I feel are a good deal.

When I look at the future I see a brighter future. This Covid is going to take up every minute and every dime to get it under control. Who here would want to be the politician to bring up that kind of law as people die. If the pipe mfgs had one brain between them, they would hire some real lobbyists and buy off the correct politician.

Year after year cigars remain untouched. I happen to know why a lot of that happens but it is not my story to tell. Just know that brilliant legal minds are protecting the cigar mfgs and who is protecting our tobacco? Moe Larry and Curly?

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Back in 2012 when I first heard of the deeming regs and the possibilities of tobacco not being able to sold on line, I screamed like a little girl who had lost her BarbI's.
I vowed to get a 200-250 pound cellar in one year.
I spent a few months making sure I really liked something before it made the final cut and then went balls to the walls buying. I easily filled my home with my favorites and was comfortable with my decision of the major buying spree.

Over the years I have added a few new blends like Curly Block, Salty Dogs, Savinelli Doblone d'Oro. The only things I buy now are aged tins that I feel are a good deal.

When I look at the future I see a brighter future. This Covid is going to take up every minute and every dime to get it under control. Who here would want to be the politician to bring up that kind of law as people die. If the pipe mfgs had one brain between them, they would hire some real lobbyists and buy off the correct politician.

Year after year cigars remain untouched. I happen to know why a lot of that happens but it is not my story to tell. Just know that brilliant legal minds are protecting the cigar mfgs and who is protecting our tobacco? Moe Larry and Curly?
Seems more like a task for Shemp.

Well said, sir.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
What you don't realize is that cigars are not a danger when it comes to marketing for kids. I mean, haven't you seen all the kids running around burning virginia flakes in their savinellis? It's an epidemic.....

Yeah, I don't know who shit the bed or why when it comes to pipe tobacco, but any dimwit with half a brain you could think would make the obvious argument that there is probably not a tobacco product on the market less appealing to children than pipes and pipe tobacco. For God sake you'd be hard pressed to find a damn adult smoking the stuff out in the real world.

What you don't realize is that cigars are not a danger when it comes to marketing for kids. I mean, haven't you seen all the kids running around burning virginia flakes in their savinellis? It's an epidemic.....

Yeah, I don't know who shit the bed or why when it comes to pipe tobacco, but any dimwit with half a brain you could think would make the obvious argument that there is probably not a tobacco product on the market less appealing to children than pipes and pipe tobacco. For God sake you'd be hard pressed to find a damn adult smoking the stuff out in the real world.
Cigars, a world where you spend $10 on a dime's worth of tobacco. Pipes, where hillbillies smoking corncobs complain about $20 tins at their local B&Ms.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

It’s hard to hide your pipe rack and all those ball jars from your mom and dad.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I think the problem is the RYO market tbh. Since its considered "Pipe Tobacco" when they sell 16 ounce bags of menthol flavored crapola, we get lumped in with them when it comes to legislation. As if anyone out there is smoking menthol tobacco out of a 50s Dunhill...
Agree. That’s the real issue: all the cig tobacco that went and labeled itself as “pipe tobacco”

also hookahs. Is that not technically a form of “pipe” ?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cigars have a special place in the culture with high rolling power-broker men, so I don't doubt they have an inside track. Pipes, on the other hand, tend to get picked on. LBJ won one of this first elections making fun of a mythic cowboy figure who smoked a pipe -- he'd borrow a pipe from the crowd and impersonate his opponent puffing in meandering thought. So pipes have a disadvantage, being favored by professors and dreamers. But I like the idea that the pipe tobacco fuss might simply get lost in the dust and smoke of bigger issues. Saved by the smoke, perhaps. I've watched the cigar lounge guys puffing and pontificating, bragging on themselves. Oh yeah.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I took steps to predict my own future, at least the little party I can have some control over. For the sake of all my pipe smoking brothers, I hope we're able to purchase quality pipe tobacco at a reasonable price forever. I far that won't be the case. My personal cellar had to be around 475 lbs now so I'm covered well past any life expectancy.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Two things I’m certain of and it’s simply my drawing an inference from known facts.

1.) Tobacco will never be more affordable than it is now.

2.) Tobacco will never be as available as it is now.

Do I believe the hobby is in danger? I don’t. It might even grow a bit in popularity, simply because people hate being told no.

I believe points 1and 2 are inevitable. it’s going to get really exclusive and very, very expensive. One only needs to look to Canada and Europe to divine the future.

If you have a favorite blend, buy one for now and two for the cellar.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I took steps to predict my own future, at least the little party I can have some control over. For the sake of all my pipe smoking brothers, I hope we're able to purchase quality pipe tobacco at a reasonable price forever. I far that won't be the case. My personal cellar had to be around 475 lbs now so I'm covered well past any life expectancy.
Damn Hoose, 475 lbs??? I have 18.5 lbs.

I was smiling like an old jackass eatin Briars until I heard that.. I’d better step up my game!

Man, you guys haven't been in a convenient store in a while. They sell cigars for people to just cut up and use as papers for drugs smoking. And, I have seen more kids buy Black and Milds to smoke than Carter Hall.
But yes, the whole FDA thing came about when the cigarette industry gained control of the FDA, and they are using it to fight the RYO goons.

Status
Not open for further replies.