PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
@cigrmaster I was surprised to read that you mentioned your Former pipes as average smokers, because if I could ever afford it, his 60th Anniversary Panel was in my dreams.

Did you ever consider buying one of his 60th Anniversary Panel pipes?

I never thought I’d hear someone say Former’s pipes are average smokers.

By the way, my comments aren’t meant to convey any attitude/rudeness, I’m just making a comment is all. It goes to show, any pipe can be good, bad, average, etc., regardless of costs.

Hmm ?
I didn't know at the time(1999-2000)that Formers were considered top of the line Danish pipes. My local liquor store was getting into the cigar and pipe game and he wanted Cuban cigars in the worst way. If a Former had a retail price of 1000.00 that means the cost is 500.00. I would take a box of Cuban cigars that I was into for 250.00, double the price to 500.00 and then get my Formers, he thought my cost on my Cubans were really the real cost. I also did that with Reiner Barbi, Peter Matzhold and others. I think the guy with the pipes selling to my liquor store was getting the pipes off the back of a truck which is a normal way of doing business in Rhode Island. He was selling those Cubans for 20-30 a stick and he thought he was robbing me. lol

After I bought and smoked my first Rad Davis pipe, I was amazed at how it compared to the Danish guys. Rad's stemwork was a whole different level. His pipes smoked drier and cooler and just over all better for my smoking style . Rad's group 5 pipes might weigh 45 grams where a Former group 5 could go 70 grams plus. I also sold off all my Castello's except one as the plastic stem compared to a ebonite Rad stem were universes away from each other.
I then made a collection decision that I am going to support our guys, meaning American artisans. After smoking each different American it only reinforced my theory that our guys make great pipes and I don't have to spend 1000.00 and more for a new one and 500-700 for used.
I owned 6 Formers at one time and they have been gone since around 2012.

Now if looks and grain are your thing then yeah the Danes make very pretty pipes, probably my favorite looking pipes. Me I am into great smokers, especially for the money. Once my guy with the back of the truck deals was gone one day, I would never buy another high end dane because of the price. I have 4 kids and their college money was never going to be used for anything else.

I would still buy pipes, but only estates at a certain price point and new ones at another price point. I got some great deals over the years and I go for the best smokers I can get and looks are secondary to a point. I won't buy pipes with lousy blasts, no more wicked grain pipes. I buy my pipes based on how well I think they will smoke my flakes and plugs as that is what I smoke 99% of the time.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
All you guys looking for the asbestos pocket protector, I appreciate the effort.
Right now at this particular moment, the urge is on hold. I am sure it will come back if I see something I like. I might just order another Howell as I just love how his pipes look and smoke. My collection is all classic shaped pipes except for 2 Talbert Goblins. The Goblins are very nice smokers and I enjoy smoking them, but they are not me, I am stuck back in the 60's remembering sitting at my grandfather's feet while he smoked his pipes. I will take a classically shaped Billiard or Dublin or Apple and a couple others over any other shapes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Salt, I keep looking for some special deals on Ebay, so far not one. I cannot believe some prices as the sellers are freaking dreaming. I am patient and in no hurry. I just laugh at some of these people,. They are acting like there is a financial boom on not a depression. It will be fun.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
It doesn't get much better than buying pipes! Enjoy! I can't imagined what I'd buy with 1400 in play.

But it seems you might be looking for something pricier. Any number of sellers can accommodate you. . .but you're keeping your head. That's very admirable.

Last edited:

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I assume as pipe smokers we all want great smokers first and nice lookers second, unless money is abundant.

I too am presently considering getting a pipe from Mr. Howell, what you have shared about him now, and in previous posts has inspired me to buy one.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Well, for whatever reason, I didn't get the $. I did get my refund so I know the IRS has my information. If it comes, it comes, but I wasn't needing it anyway.

THat said, there could be some short term inflation because the stimulous devalues money. However and because of the pandemic, it is needed right now and not so people that don't need it can buy pipes...LOL!!

I guess what concerns me is how some have communicated about getting some extra money. I am sure some will blow the opportunity while others will use the funds to secure themselves better financially. This will always be true with government assistance, but it is not a valid reason not to attempt to help most or some.

Anyone disagreeing with the stimulous are free to send it back...ha!!

Well, for whatever reason, I didn't get the $.
For some reason, I haven't gotten any of the stimulus money. I'm pretty sure it's not because I make too much money, unless they set the damned bar really really low, but most likely because I don't get a paycheck, so money isn't withdrawn each month to pay my taxes. I just have to pay them in one lump sum each year. But, I'm not complaining.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
The way I see it is if the cheque was meant to help out people who are struggling, and you aren't one of them, I'd spend it on the best pipes you can find made by newer pipe makers who's starting out in this business came at the wrong time.

• Love
Reactions: BROBS and Toast
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
For some reason, I haven't gotten any of the stimulus money. I'm pretty sure it's not because I make too much money, unless they set the damned bar really really low, but most likely because I don't get a paycheck, so money isn't withdrawn each month to pay my taxes. I just have to pay them in one lump sum each year. But, I'm not complaining.

80 grand is the cutoff.. Self employment shouldn't affect it.

But... somehow my wife missed out. I think It'll be squared up in 2022. Now that's what I call rushing money to the people who need it!

Status
Not open for further replies.