PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am narrowing it down to maybe 4 more Jack Howell pipes? Or do I go for one of my whales while the getting is good? I have always wanted a great looking Tom Eltang Saturn Grade is the Dublin Shape. I have always wanted an S. Bang but I hear things about smoking properties. I have considered sticking to my plan of collecting American artisan pipes as bang for the buck, they are very tough to beat.
I do regret selling my 6 Formers to a degree. Looks wise they are tough beat, smoking wise they are on the average side, nowhere near as good as my American artisan pipes.
Should I go balls to the walls and blow the 1400 on one pipe? There is something about blowing 1400 for one pipe. I have had my years of smoking high end pipes and honestly they were nice smokers, but not a one smoked better than my Jack Howell's, Rad Davis, Bruce Weavers and many other of my artisan pipes. In truth I would not be surprised if 50% of my American pipes didn't smoke better the Euro guys.

I can say for sure that I really like some of the Euro classic shapes. Reiner Barbi, Peter Matzhold , Former. Their lines and shaping are really well done

I have to admit that the thought of spending that much doesn't sit very well because back in around 1998, I was paying half of the wholesale price. A 1000.00 costs 500.00. Half that price and I am paying 250.00. It is why I cannot push myself to pay that amount when I can buy a brand new Jack Howell for 295.00 plus shipping

Ok so keeping this strictly to pipes, no tobacco involved what would you got for?
I have trouble dropping 1400 on a pipe that might not smoke perfectly like the Eltangs I hear about or should I just by more books for my daughter who is in law school. To me he 1400.00 is found money, it is mine to piss away as my daughter is all set.

What would you guys do? I am getting that itch , that calling to me from a piece of briar.

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
I'd always prefer to spend the bigger bucks on pipe makers who are alive as that's more likely to keep the craft alive.

Perhaps, to follow alaskanpiper's suggestion, commission some modern American makers to make you their versions of some of the whales you like the most? Best of both worlds hopefully!

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I'm in no way experienced in this, but I look at it this way: I would spend my money on what you like now and not burn it on something could go meh. I'm collecting cigars. I like Partagas and Bolivar in particular, if I would burn 1400 on cigars it would be Partagas and Bolivar, not on Romeo Y Julieta which I generally not like.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I don't look at such as "found" moneys. It is simply the government returning a bit of the money they took from me last year in various taxes, income, tobacco, gasoline, sales, etc. If my daughter were struggling with the costs of law school, she'd get the money.
I have my daughters tuition all set as I would never spend money that would interfere with her goal for a degree. My kids always have their college money all set before they step on the campus.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sometimes you should splurge and sometimes you should conserve, and only you have a complete sense of what that means for you. As long as you buy "stuff," goods and services, the money will have the multiplier effect and fuel the economy in a good way that's needed right now. Maybe commission an American artisan pipe and give the other half to your daughter to buy books. Or take a weekender, or a trip to Jamaica, when it's safe to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.