Mouth Still Irritated - Pipe Materials - Tabac - Aggressiveness?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
It maybe that the moisture impacts the PH of the red Virginia. I too get the metallic taste if it is moist and too rich. that is why mixing it with darker tobacs and Perique seems to help.

Ahh I didn’t know this odd taste was something others experienced too, but I mentioned before, I never experienced until irritating my mouth.

I guess regardless, it’s a Virginia or tabac thing if not careful...

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Well, I had some KBV Yoshimi Scented Plug in a MM Dagner Cob last night. The tabac to begin with is pretty dry, but I pulled some of the plug apart and then tore the pieces up and let dry for about 20-30 minutes.

For whatever reason(s) this was the first blend I started to get a little bit of this metallic taste on the tip of my tongue.

Now when I think about this, hmm, the PH balance, or moisture in certain tabac, possibly the issue, or combined with these things, also, what chemicals the tabac was grown with, vs organic, or flavors cased or topped in the tabac, even if natural, some sensitivity to them, or casings and toppings that could be artificial.

Hmm

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
2 thoughts - only because I haven’t seen them mentioned in the thread yet, and you seem hellbound on getting to the bottom of it.

1) do your other pipes have the same open draw as the cobs?

2) are you still smoking using the technique of lighting, having a sip and then letting go out, before relighting again?

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Yes to the questions...

We all know how tabac can bite, but the metallic/charcoal like taste that I’ve experienced, is not something I’ve ever been aware of till now, and it certainly does appear to be related to Virginias, I’m assuming, is maybe more about the PH balance of Virginias.

Yes I’m on a mission here, cause when you’ve spent so much money, time and effort, then at the end of it all, you just want to kick back and enjoy, BAM, El Sucko in the Ole El Moutho! LOL

At least I’m not giving up the ole battle in the trenches, nor lost my sense of humor... rotf

Last edited:
Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I can’t speak to the impact of any casings/toppings/preservatives but from dealing with homegrown and whole leaf, either as is or only with water, the acidic bite from bright leaf (eg. Flue cured Virginias) is felt on the tip of the tongue and front off mouth, whereas an alkaline bite (eg burley or dfk) is felt on the sides and back of the mouth or the throat. Not sure it that helps.

Im not familiar with your style of smoking - awesome if it works for you though bro! - but I always assumed that the hottest part of the smoke was the light. I wonder whether trying to smoke through a whole bowl would cause the same irritation, or whether it would settle as you get into the smoke? I dunno.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’ve been wondering if it’s also an effect of that first light, puff, with the most heat, various reactions going on.

But the other day with G.L. Pease Stratford, the first lights were fine, which made me think that maybe it is just the PH difference between the Virginia blends, which certainly makes sense, some are higher/lower than others, etc...

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Perique is very alkaline and pretty much balances the pH of whatever Virginia it is blended with - obviously blending ratio depends on the Va variety, as well as your personal chemistry set.

Also, we are talking about the pH of the smoke not the leaf itself, so I’m not sure how heat impacts this.

follow your mouth. If Stratford works, then stick to that for a while, or other vapers. Or, sign up to @mikethompson next experiment as a crash test dummy ??

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Actually when I was smoking Stratford, when the ash started to build a little, I’d use the Czech tool to lightly scrape it.

Sometimes, because the tabac is lightly packed, I might accidentally scrape a little to much, exposing some slight unburnt tabac.

Then when I’d go to relight, I might on occasion get that metallic taste.

I guess I’m just now experiencing some sensitivity to VA’s.

hrhead

Lurker
Dec 20, 2020
I am sensitive to Latakia and many aromatics for sure. Some orientals. The other day 8 State was a little irritating but was fine the next day. Never had that with 8 State before.

I ended up using 9mm filters 90% of the time. I almost never drink alcohol while smoking, that seems to guarantee a rough time the next day. Water, tea and coffee...

Also, it was a game changer when I switched to arm and hammer toothpaste. It neutralizes acid. I use it after I smoke and have had great results. I tried Smart Mouth mouth wash and got my first bad case of tongue bite. Turns out it's an acid that pulls the sulfer out of your mouth. Don't use it. And DON'T gargle with an alcohol based mouth wash... It makes things worse.

Finally, pick a tobacco you know is safe and stick with that for a couple weeks. For me it's Burley. I can smoke that anytime with no irritation. Once you're reset, slowly introduce other things and did I say, go buy a 9mm filtered pipe from Eddie Grey at the Pipe Nook.

Reactions: Ahi Ka and PipeIT

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
For me, it seems like it might be a PH thing with Virginias, I’ll have to see how it goes next time with some SG Squadron Leader and HH Vintage Syrian, that I have, to see if these bother me on the Latakia side.

I did smoke some Sillem’s Black last night and I did get a little of the metallic taste... hmm

I just received today my Country Squire Blends, hopefully these go over well.

I’m smoking some of the Parson’s Blend while I type this, no problems here, and a really nice tabac too! ?

006EFB18-8843-4E92-956B-E20AABCBB707.jpeg

P.S.

Last edited:

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I mentioned I take Vitamin C, I was actually taking 1gram 3x daily, from Viva Natural, but now I look at their site they don’t have only Vitamin C, they sell the C now with zinc.

I don’t want zinc, and if I took their C and zinc formula now, at 3 grams daily, that is 60mg of Zinc a day, to much.

Guess I’m looking for another brand of C.
Maybe your problem is the extremely excessive amount of vitamin C you are taking....

The recommended vitamin C dosage per day for healthy women is 75 mg per day (120 mg per day for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding). For adults, the tolerable upper intake level (UL) — the highest daily intake likely to pose no risks — is 2,000 mg per day.
Vitamin C is water-soluble, so any excess is usually excreted in the urine rather than stored in the body. It's safe in almost any amount from foods, and supplements in recommended amounts are also regarded as safe for most people. In some people, high doses — more than, say, 2,000 or 3,000 mg per day — can cause symptoms such as diarrhea, nausea, heartburn, gastritis, fatigue, flushing, headache, and insomnia. People with chronic liver or kidney conditions, gout, or a history of calcium-oxalate kidney stones should take no more than 1,000 mg a day.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
No problems with The Country Squire Parson’s Blend.

I’ll keep my Vitamin C dosage down, and see if it changes anything.

kgs

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2021
South Florida
There are a lot of posts in this thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned. Do you have GERD or acid reflux? I have acid reflux and it is a major contributor to my oral discomfort.

My understanding is that stomach acid is extremely acidic and when it backs up into your mouth it can severely irritate the oral tissue. They say that certain things can relax the lower esophageal sphincter and then stomach acid is able to travel up the esophagus and into the throat and mouth. Caffeine and nicotine relax the sphincter and contribute to acid reflux. Lovely, isn't it? Everyone is different and you would need to identify the foods, drinks, and chemicals that hurt you.

I can't really speak to remedies for acid reflux, if that is your issue. I will just say that I have become skeptical of the mainstream treatments that aim to reduce stomach acidity.

Someone mentioned toothpaste. I'll suggest another toothpaste: Squigle Tooth Builder. I love this toothpaste. It has no irritants or flavoring. No harsh detergents, no mint. It has a sweet taste and feels very gentle to the mouth. I hate mint and I especially hate mint before bed or first thing in the morning. So this toothpaste is the only one that I use now. If you are having any kind of oral problems it is worth considering this toothpaste.

I have seen a lot of people suggest the Biotene oral rinse, but it never did much for me. Definitely steer clear of alcohol based rinses. Also, I would avoid carbonated drinks too. I have heard of people having problems with that.

Try a lot of different tobaccos. There are so many types of tobacco. Not all burley is the same, not all virginia is the same. I think where it is grown, how it is grown, how it's processed all contribute to how it smokes. Different blenders process the leaf in different ways. Ph levels are important, but so are the other ingredients. I tried some Lane 1Q rolled in some cigarette paper a few days ago and it felt very gently on my palate, interestingly enough. I'm pretty hesitant to load it into one of my pipes though because first, it has no nicotine, and second I'm convinced it will ghost it and leave a sticky layer of chemicals behind.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
No GERD or acid reflux here.

This is an interesting article.

I have a few allergies, not real serious. I also get migraines from food triggers, so I’ve been swallowing a lot over the years from CVS, their Extra Strength Headache Relief, which contains Per Tablet: Acetaminophen 250 mg; Aspirin 250 mg; Caffeine 65 mg

And I take two, sometimes 3-5 times a week.

I had years ago all my mercury silver fillings removed, I only have composite fillings in my mouth, but one has broken a little, going to the dentist soon, not sure bad composite fillings can be a cause.

I’ve also been lazy with my dental care, and I need to step it up more.

I brush with Auromere Herbal Toothpaste.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
YEAH, no metallic taste smoking this!

33BE62B7-1072-4F41-9C81-A6222BE69748.jpeg

I guess my taste buds are just being sensitive/picky now hmm

I really dried this pretty crispy too, so I’ll be sure to do that with all my blends.

• Love
Reactions: JOHN72