Mouth Still Irritated - Pipe Materials - Tabac - Aggressiveness?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I only smoke a pipe, I must of really agitated the roof of my mouth, or the PH of a blend like a Virginia, my understanding can bite, I have experienced with Red Virginia irritation.

I’ve been very sensitive, even to foods, medications, etc., I am thinking this is the same, I’m a light weight... LOL

So I’m just hoping I need to really go slow again, and build up some tough skin... ;)

I’m going to be sure to get some good mouth stuff, Aloe, maybe Biotene, my mouth also always feels a little dry, use baking soda, etc...

My diet is really healthy, I’ll just start looking at all the healthy mouth ways out there to try and get my mouth in better shape too.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Try eating fresh blueberries, lots of them.
They really do clear up up a lot of mouth irritations. Usually overnight.
Yep. Vitamin C, among other things. It has to be replenished daily. And smoking is destructive of Vitamin C. (I read it somewhere--so it must be true. Heh.) I chug o.j. daily, so I don't worry about it too much. I get canker sores if I don't. Plus I like it.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’m actually very heavy into health, my pipe is the only unhealthy thing... LOL

I pretty much eat everything organic and vegetarian, as I mentioned being a light weight, I can’t eat bad, or I get sick feeling.

I have a cabinet full of really great supplements, I have a really good health store only a few blocks down the road.

I use Vitamin C from Viva Naturals, I also take their Omega 3 Fish Oil.

I’m sucking on some Tulsi Tea as I type this. :)

I bought this TheraBreath mouth rinse today, along with another brand at the store of a Peroxide mouth rinse.

After rinsing with the TheraBreath and the Peroxide rinse, my mouth felt better.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Maybe grab a filtered cob and use Savinelli charcoal filters to give your palate a break, also a heavily diluted water/hydrogen peroxide rinse daily might help, I hope you figure it out.

Reactions: PipeIT

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Maybe grab a filtered cob and use Savinelli charcoal filters to give your palate a break, also a heavily diluted water/hydrogen peroxide rinse daily might help, I hope you figure it out.

Yep, sounds like a good idea, to just own one filtered pipe, when life ain’t going right... LOL :)

Question now is, which one, which filters, and I’d rather go Briar, but not sure, 6mm/9mm charcoal or balsa? Hmm ?

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
also a heavily diluted water/hydrogen peroxide rinse daily might help, I hope you figure it out.
I 100% agree with this. 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide diluted to 6% works well for me. Within a days time (after rinsing my mouth twice, morning & night) my mouth feels fine and my teeth are nice and bright. There’s lots of information online about the many uses of food grade H2O2 and human health. I hope this situation clears up for you.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Something I didn’t really clarify is that is is not a pain/bite issue.

I have of course had at times my roof feeling irritated, the issue is really this taste that won’t go away.

I can pack a fresh bowl, light it, take a few gentle sips and I get the odd metallic/charcoal tingly taste on the roof of my mouth, that is the issue.

Now as I mentioned I did aggressively smoke, puffing like a train one night, but I can’t believe, just because I go overboard once, that now this taste won’t leave my mouth.

I’ve smoked VaPers, KBV Anne Cap, which is Cavendish forward, Eight State Burley, all of them with this little odd taste.

Sometimes the taste is there at the beginning of a new fresh packed pipe. Then when I relight, and if I take several small sips it gradually fades, but then I let the pipe go out, cool down, relight like 15 minutes later, and I get the taste a little on this relight again, then slowly going away on a few sips.

But at the same time I can tell, even if it goes away, it still mutes the tastes of the tabac, they don’t taste as they should, either dulled, or more cigar/Dottie like at times, and this has happened with several pipes, all still fairly new pipes too.

I feel like I have some bloody Mouth Ghost that just won’t go away.... ?

Hmm

Last edited:

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
In order to avoid what you are discussing- red Virginia does it for me- I blend in cavendish which helps a lot.

You mean you get this odd taste with Red Virginia?

The thing is, I never had any odd/bad tastes till I really irritated the roof of my mouth, that one night with my train puffing session, and now it doesn’t seem to want to go away.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Red
You mean you get this odd taste with Red Virginia?

The thing is, I never had any odd/bad tastes till I really irritated the roof of my mouth, that one night with my train puffing session, and now it doesn’t seem to want to go away.
Virginia gives a strange irritation for sure. Blending the tobacco down with cavendish helps with red virginia for sure. Metallic- maybe. Unpleasant for sure.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I take 1,500 milligram vitamin C. And honestly, it gives me good results overall...........I use the Solgar brand..............Maybe this can help you.............

I mentioned I take Vitamin C, I was actually taking 1gram 3x daily, from Viva Natural, but now I look at their site they don’t have only Vitamin C, they sell the C now with zinc.

I don’t want zinc, and if I took their C and zinc formula now, at 3 grams daily, that is 60mg of Zinc a day, to much.

Guess I’m looking for another brand of C.

Reactions: JOHN72

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My worst problems with "tongue" bite and chemical burn have been with holiday blend aromatics. I think it is from the flavoring, burning cinnamon and such. Then I'd brush my teeth with peppermint toothpaste and the sting would soar. When I went to non-aromatic tobacco, dried somewhat, the problem was pretty much gone.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Latakia blends turn "alkaline" with fast puffing, actually everything does but the Latakia is "double smoked" (first in the process adding flavor and second when you burn it in your pipe) so there's extra alkalinity when you start smoking hot and sucking back ash instead of the aromatic steam that gives smoke its flavor.

frozenchurchwarden mentioned this about Latakia, so I wonder if I need to go easy with Latakia... hmm

I’m assuming for now, going with something pretty straight Burely is a safe bet, like Solani Aged Burley Flake? Now I need to find some for sale...

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I just smoked a little of G.L. Pease Stratford last night out of a MM Dagner Cob.

I bought it in April, been sitting in a jar 4 and a half months. This was the first time to smoke this blend, I also dried it out for a hour pretty crispy.

To my surprise there was no odd tastes! :)

This is Red Virginia tobaccos with Louisiana Perique.

I’m starting to wonder if maybe this has been a reaction to my tabac being to moist before... hmm